Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Best bang for buck 56 Chevy pickup suspension

Picked up a 56 Cameo pickup. I’m new to trucks and looking for suggestions on decent suspension that won’t break the bank. Been looking at No Limit, Progressive, Nerd Rods, and Heidts. I don’t think AME and Roadstershop will meet my budget.

Thanks,
      Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Best bang for the buck is take all the parts you threw away from the LSA car you are doing and put them under the truck. Seriously.

Subframes on those trucks are pretty straight forward, make up some mounts and hang the camaro leaf springs in the back.......jesus, telling someone to subframe a truck makes me feel old.

If you want to buy things.....
      I'm dealer number 33 for Heidts and I don't buy anything from them anymore. I'll leave that at that. I have always been pretty meh on the progressive stuff. I like Rob's stuff a lot but have never had a need for it as 99% of the time I just put a chassis under the truck and get it from TCI, who I have been with forever, or RS, who is right down the road.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Best bang for the buck is take all the parts you threw away from the LSA car you are doing and put them under the truck. Seriously.

Subframes on those trucks are pretty straight forward, make up some mounts and hang the camaro leaf springs in the back.......jesus, telling someone to subframe a truck makes me feel old.

If you want to buy things.....
      I'm dealer number 33 for Heidts and I don't buy anything from them anymore. I'll leave that at that. I have always been pretty meh on the progressive stuff. I like Rob's stuff a lot but have never had a need for it as 99% of the time I just put a chassis under the truck and get it from TCI, who I have been with forever, or RS, who is right down the road.
      Thanks Donny. I sold all the suspension etc from the LSA car but I have all the stuff from my wife’s 69 convertible. It never occurred to me to use that stuff. Does a first gen rear steer fit better than a front steer second gen subframe? I think Kevin (qnitro) has around ten of those laying around.

Thanks,
      Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Interesting thread by No Limit. They even sell a DVD. Ordered one.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...ht=camaro+clip

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I have never done a 2nd gen subframe nor have I put one in a 55-59. I know they don't work in the 47-53 because the steering box and radiator want to be in the same spot.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

The C6 59 Apache build on here got me thinking. I’m going to use the Dobbertin interface adaptors and a Gamel lengthened torque tube to stuff the suspension from this under my Cameo. I can use the front and rear cradles along with the full suspension. They weigh about the same so I am hoping stock springs and shocks etc will work. Probably not the lowest cost solution but I think I will get a lot of bang for the buck. Paid $1500 for the roller.

Don
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

That's a cool shot, Don. If the windshield wasn't so laid back, it almost looks like a roadster pick-up

subframe

Me and a buddy put a 79 TA front sub under his 49 Chevy as well as the disc brake rear end. Just fabbed up cardboard templates. Measured a million times and went to cutting. The truck frame was cut to a radius to match where the TA clip radiussed up from the lower flat rails of the sub. The lower flat rails of sub sat under the original truck frame. Ride height was lower than the stock truck but one that you could actually drive the thing and not drag everywhere.
      Jason
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Quote Originally Posted by TANKMASTERJ View Post
      Me and a buddy put a 79 TA front sub under his 49 Chevy as well as the disc brake rear end. Just fabbed up cardboard templates. Measured a million times and went to cutting. The truck frame was cut to a radius to match where the TA clip radiussed up from the lower flat rails of the sub. The lower flat rails of sub sat under the original truck frame. Ride height was lower than the stock truck but one that you could actually drive the thing and not drag everywhere.
      Jason
      The No Limit DVD was very detailed and an excellent guide. Not to mention Rob’s 1980’s wardrobe and hairdo were pretty entertaining. Seems like a good option for the front but I like the idea of an IRS for street driven cars and that led me to the Dobbertin Corvette based solution.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Making progress. Mock up on the C5 suspension almost done. This project is really stretching my limited skill set.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

We now have a full chassis for this model. all the same specs and features of the Extreme line of chassis just made to fit the truck.
      Blake Foster
      www.speedtechperformance.com
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

Quote Originally Posted by killer69 View Post
      We now have a full chassis for this model. all the same specs and features of the Extreme line of chassis just made to fit the truck.
      I’m sure its awesome but that is way beyond the budget for my project. Plus I wanted an IRS. You guys need an Exterme IRS option.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I’m sure its awesome but that is way beyond the budget for my project. Plus I wanted an IRS. You guys need an Exterme IRS option.

Don
      We are machining parts for that EXACT product right NOW i have a 567 car chassis designed and welded for it all to fit in! SO THERE! hope to have a mock up by the end of the year!! all high end parts 35 spline axle stubs. 934 cv Extreme forges spindle lots of Adjustment 2 control arm settings (all per figured) for auto X or Road race 2" of ride height adjustment with NO effect on the geometry it is going to be good! we have been working on it for a while to make sure it was as good as possible and much better than ALL THE OTHERS
      Blake Foster
      www.speedtechperformance.com
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

Quote Originally Posted by killer69 View Post
      We are machining parts for that EXACT product right NOW i have a 567 car chassis designed and welded for it all to fit in! SO THERE! hope to have a mock up by the end of the year!! all high end parts 35 spline axle stubs. 934 cv Extreme forges spindle lots of Adjustment 2 control arm settings (all per figured) for auto X or Road race 2" of ride height adjustment with NO effect on the geometry it is going to be good! we have been working on it for a while to make sure it was as good as possible and much better than ALL THE OTHERS
      Awesome. Now all I need to do is win the lottery.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Making progress. Mock up on the C5 suspension almost done. This project is really stretching my limited skill set.

Don
      Pic's or it didn't happen. ;)

Seriously though, I love to see other guys solutions on these swaps. I'd be interested to see how you solved it.
      Click here for my build thread
      Dad's Down and Dirty
      http://www.nerdrods.com
      @NerdRods - Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by rat_rod_russell View Post
      Pic's or it didn't happen. ;)

Seriously though, I love to see other guys solutions on these swaps. I'd be interested to see how you solved it.
      Not quite photo worthy just yet. I used these adapters with the full width cradles. Almost exactly same width as stock truck frame. Stock C5 steering rack and motor mounts etc. Tri Y exhaust manifolds from a 5th gen Z28. Likely will use stock C6 wheels. C5 Corsa exhaust with lengthened tail pipes. No Limit rear mount gas tank. Progressive Automotive brake pedal and cross member kit. Torque tube lengthened roughly 12”. Bed raised 4 inches.

http://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance

With these adaptors and your CAD and fab skills you should be able to nail this...

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Not quite photo worthy just yet. I used these adapters with the full width cradles. Almost exactly same width as stock truck frame. Stock C5 steering rack and motor mounts etc. Tri Y exhaust manifolds from a 5th gen Z28. Likely will use stock C6 wheels. C5 Corsa exhaust with lengthened tail pipes. No Limit rear mount gas tank. Progressive Automotive brake pedal and cross member kit. Torque tube lengthened roughly 12”. Bed raised 4 inches.

http://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance

With these adaptors and your CAD and fab skills you should be able to nail this...

Don
      HAHAHA! Thanks, I make pretty pictures with the computer, now if only I could finish my own projects to prove it to myself I might believe it too.

Very cool adapters! We extended our last tube 11" inches and put the fire wall back some so 12 sounds right on knowing what I know now for the TriFives and Task Force trucks.

Ah wheels, wheels are always a subjective conversation. The +79mm offset C6 wheels will work with a stock width bed (I cheated with a wide bed back in 09' to run the Z06 wheels) but that only leaves a few options for wheels and most places won't do their aftermarket wheels that far out so your window gets even smaller. The two things I have people back out of my chassis purchases for are Turning radius, and Wheel selection so until I can narrow the C5/6/7 suspension efficiently I'll probably stay away from using them on the rear of a chassis project. The front however. I'm working on something fun.

I have a CNC mill now so I'm going to play with my C5/6/7 differential adapters again when I'm comfortable running and programing it. I got the mill on accident really.
      Steve - "You should buy that Mill from me."
      Me - "You know I'm broke."
      Steve - "Pay me whenever."
      Me - "Even then I can't afford the tooling."
      Steve - "None of it will work with any other mills or lathes, you can have all of it."
      Me - "How much?"
      Steve - "Cheep."
      Me - "........ ok............. What's the catch."
      Steve - "My new 9 axis lathe will be here in a few hours, Go get your trailer and take the mill to your place before it gets here."
      And so, I have a CNC mill.

Keep up the good work.
      -Russell
      Click here for my build thread
      Dad's Down and Dirty
      http://www.nerdrods.com
      @NerdRods - Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by rat_rod_russell View Post
      HAHAHA! Thanks, I make pretty pictures with the computer, now if only I could finish my own projects to prove it to myself I might believe it too.

Very cool adapters! We extended our last tube 11" inches and put the fire wall back some so 12 sounds right on knowing what I know now for the TriFives and Task Force trucks.

Ah wheels, wheels are always a subjective conversation. The +79mm offset C6 wheels will work with a stock width bed (I cheated with a wide bed back in 09' to run the Z06 wheels) but that only leaves a few options for wheels and most places won't do their aftermarket wheels that far out so your window gets even smaller. The two things I have people back out of my chassis purchases for are Turning radius, and Wheel selection so until I can narrow the C5/6/7 suspension efficiently I'll probably stay away from using them on the rear of a chassis project. The front however. I'm working on something fun.

I have a CNC mill now so I'm going to play with my C5/6/7 differential adapters again when I'm comfortable running and programing it. I got the mill on accident really.
      Steve - "You should buy that Mill from me."
      Me - "You know I'm broke."
      Steve - "Pay me whenever."
      Me - "Even then I can't afford the tooling."
      Steve - "None of it will work with any other mills or lathes, you can have all of it."
      Me - "How much?"
      Steve - "Cheep."
      Me - "........ ok............. What's the catch."
      Steve - "My new 9 axis lathe will be here in a few hours, Go get your trailer and take the mill to your place before it gets here."
      And so, I have a CNC mill.

Keep up the good work.
      -Russell
      I’m not hooked on the deep lip wheels like a lot of guys are. The more updated no lip look is ok with me. Here it is with the C5 wheels that came on the roller. I like the look. Flares are not an option on the Cameo due to the slab sides imho. This is a budget build so I can make it work with any number of the C6 wheels available for less than $1000 versus $5k for Forgeline.

Did you see these Corvette and 5th gen Camaro differential adaptors:

http://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertin...i-front-engine

http://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertin...ion-adapter-ki

Don
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

This is an extremely interesting build to me. I love the work you are doing. I can't tell you the number of times I've laid in bed at night thinking about trying to do the same thing you are doing.
      1967 Camaro RS/SS - Project "Skunkworks" in Progress...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com