Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

protouring and your community

With protouring being in existence for over a decade if not two, how has the influence changed your local car shows, cars&coffee and/or local track events? Post your location with your thoughts about how strong or weak the protouring community is where you live.

Northwest Indiana is weak in that at car shows you'll see cars with the 18" rims but still stock brakes and maybe a 1-2"drop. Rat rods are still a very popular build and most people put their nose to the air if you don't know what your quarter mile time is. There is an scca club in the region and has an event 1 weekend a month during the non snow months. Small amount of muscle cars ,more imports at the scca events. If you want to see more protouing cars and their owners, you have to drive an hour into Chicago or to a protouring event.

Country Flag: United States
      I live less than a mile from Lingenfelter's Brighton, MI facility. I see a big mix of cars - Pro-Street, Rat Rods, Resto rods, Muscle cars, and the whole mix. I don't see as many Pro-Touring cars at shows, but see them around. I think the Pro-Touring group spend less time showing and more time driving.

In fact, just a couple days ago I say a beautiful '69 Camaro Pro-Touring car driving on the gravel road near my house in the country.

I have observed the true Pr-Touring cars that are set up with full suspension modifications and big brakes are rare. Pro-Touring "look" cars are more common. I don't believe that most auto enthusiasts are willing to spend the money for hardware that cannot be seen and can only be fully utilized on a track.

I think about this often.. when people talk about "cookie cutter pro touring builds" online.

We go to a decent amount of local shows, we're NW of chicago about an hour and a half.

Rarely do I see pro-touring cars. There are occasionally a few.. like Rich Gregory and his red '69 Camaro. But even his car is way higher end than most I see around here.

LS swaps are not even that common. Maybe LS1's and LS2's but rarely will I see an LS3, and have maybe seen one new LT1.

Despite the vast amount of pro-touring cars on the internet & social media, they still make up a small percentage of the muscle car population in my opinion... At least around here!!!

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Country Flag: Canada
      This is why Pro-touring is such a great style, It works, great on highway, great on track ,great on street ,sorta great on fuel and..... hard to find them sitting still, far more fun to be driving than sitting at a car show , just my opinion.

Ragz, I can't agree more. I am not for being the norm, I think outside of the box. Dale, I'll be up to your open house in September with my camaro. I agree with cornfedbill, I've went to car shows and didn't stay because I just like to drive my car.

A full tilt PT car isn't cheap at least to your average cruise night guy. Big cruise nights I'll see 1 or 2. I see more LS cars than good PT cars. I did see a red 2nd gen vette with a blown ls, aftermarket frame and forgelines at a cruise night in Jackson NJ a week or so ago. I never found the owner.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

I live in Arkansas... Do I need to say more? lol

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I'd say the pro touring "look" is fairly common, 17-18" wheels. Outside from that, only a handfull check the box as a "pro touring" style build for me. Modern engine, upgrade brakes, OD trans, upgraded suspension/wheels, etc.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Mixed in dallas. Just like the above post there are more pro touring " looking" cars unlike cars like mine. I see them a decent amount because most of them are my friends lol. To the other comment above yea we dont usually go to car shows and register. most of the time we are out driving, go to a show, walk around and leave. Cars do very well at the car shows that we have been.

Here in New England I like to call them "Pro Touring Lite", like everyone else, mostly just cosmetic upgrades with some mild suspension and brake work. There are a few more serious ones ( almost exclusively Chevy ) probably primarily due to parts availability and cost. I love the look, and enjoy seeing them wherever I can. But, around here Cragars are still king......

Quote Originally Posted by Tincup View Post
      Here in New England I like to call them "Pro Touring Lite", like everyone else, mostly just cosmetic upgrades with some mild suspension and brake work. There are a few more serious ones ( almost exclusively Chevy ) probably primarily due to parts availability and cost. I love the look, and enjoy seeing them wherever I can. But, around here Cragars are still king......
      Pretty much the same situation where I live, Mike. Only time I see a number of P/T cars together, is at the Texas Goodguys events held twice a year, at Texas Motor Speedway.

We visited COTA for Cars and Coffee Saturday. Really cool show; huge variety of cars but very few P/T. I got tickled every time we walked by the "junky" Camaro (4th from left) and seeing the crowd trying to figure out just what was going on.Name:  20180714_085644.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  341.9 KB

I don't want to drive four or five hours to an event. If I lived near a city I would go but I don't. That said I'm bored by local car shows. The biggest show in Canada is just over an hour from me and I'm bored of it. There are a few restomods (mine is mild suspensions, brakes, ls2) and protouring cars there but the guys driving them are out walking around. In my area when people find out its LS swapped they call it a Camaro because a real Firebird would have a Pawn-ti-ac in it. But I get the feeling there are more cars around, I'm just not seeing them. I live an hour away from any city. So maybe the solution is that we form local clubs and get together for drives rather than shows.

When I lived in Phoenix, there was a good car presence, but not very many pro touring builds. I could go to a show known as the Pavillions in Scottsdale every weekend and see maybe 3-4 on a busy weekend. Now that I've moved to Yuma, the pro touring cars are non existent, been replaced by low riders & donks. I'm trying to figure out how to get an SCCA presence set up here, I miss Auto X events but can't drive 4+ hours every time I want to race.

"Pro Touring" is the hot term right now like restomod was 5-10 years ago. It's almost hilarious to walk around the big car auctions like Barrett Jackson anymore. Everybody that can throw a set of 18-20" wheels and paint the brake calipers red calls it a pro touring car. The term is over used by people who don't know what it means, and only people like us are able to spot the true pro touring cars.

I love going to car shows, but get tired of dealing with angry old people. The older crowd tend to look at cars like those and the first words out of their mouths usually are "you ruined it" or something like that. Could be the reason pro touring builds are not at car shows, don't want to deal with all the old people that look down their nose at your car because it doesn't have Cragar wheels and the stinkbug rake.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

I think the biggest change to the community is that the cars we love are all around 50 years old now. No one gives mention to the fact that these "cool old cars" were "cool old cars" in the 1980s.

I'm located about half way between D.C. and Richmond, VA. and I have not seen a single true Pro Touring car in my area. I typically do not do car shows or cruise nights but I got talked into going to a cruise night a couple of years ago and Dust Off drew a lot of attention. But as is typical on a cruise night there were far too many stupid people making stupid statements. Did I mention that I typically do not do car shows and cruise nights? These days I go out for an occasional drive but mostly do Auto-X and track days at VIR, DR, and Summit Point.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I like Ishmael's idea on a local get together and then a cruise. Our cars were built to be driven not just shown. There are so few pro touring autocross events around me. I would like to see more builds like mine in person than on a computer screen. I also like to meet more of like minded people face to face. If your in the chicagoland, northwest Indiana. Or southwestern Michigan area let me know maybe we can start something up.

here in Laramie, WY even being the home to WyoTech we have 2 maybe 3 shows a year. Nothing Pro-touring even running around. I know there are loads of nice cars but you never see them. I was on a delivery for work one day. I seen a gorgeous 70-71 plum crazy Challenger 440-6 car. They guy had pulled it out of his storage. Never seen it on the road. Many cars I see at big shows like GG say Laramie as home town. only ever see them there. There are a couple pro-touring cars in Cheyenne.

Tim
      1971 Buick Sportwagon pro-touring project.
      1985 Ford Crown Victoria 2 door
      2000 Ford Crown Victoria

Country Flag: Canada
      Just got home from a 2800 mile trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and Washington USA, and British Columbia, Alberta , Saskatchewan Canada in my Protouring 67 camaro..... never saw one other on the road, had more fun than i ever could have imagined, and the comments were all positive from people who appreciated seeing an old car being driven.... final thoughts..... i would rather drive than be parked in a lot all weekend... just sayin.

Well I am coming at this from the other side. I have a PT 68' Camaro that I just finished up and will most definitely be hitting a couple local cruise nights - Chatterbox in Augusta, NJ every Saturday afternoon-evening, Cops and Rodders at the Lowe's plaza in Hackettstown, NJ every Thursday evening and Cars and Coffee in Bethlehem, Pa at Steel Stacks. Also planning on hitting One or both of the Big shows - Lead East in Parsippany, NJ and/or Dead Man's Curve in Mahwah, NJ.
      One thing I will say is that the weather has sucked lately. My car will not even roll out of the garage at the hint of rain. That alone has caused me to miss a few shows already.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com