Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Rear end for autocross ??

I;m building a S-10 Autocross truck and I have o change out rear end ,do I look for a posi or run a limited slip
      Thanks

Posi and limited slip are the same things.

Not sure how much power you’ll be running, but some s10s got 8.5” rears. They can be built fairly strong
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Ok i thought posi was for more drag racing and the limited slip was more circle track ??? This kind thinking is probably why I'm a carpenter
      But the truck will be LS1/ auto so 500 hp at the most with no drag racing , I'm hopping to find a swap with disk brakes already on to replace the drum I have now and Thanks for your help

If you'll be autocrossing a lot, i'd run a Truetrac diff.
      If it's just once in a great while and you're looking to save a few bucks, a clutch-type diff.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

I'll second truetrac for autocross.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

8.5" from a 2wd Blazer. You just have to watch the width as 2wd, 4wd and extended (ZR2?) are different. I have a Detroit Locker with soft springs for my Chevelle with a 9" Ford axle.
      Ric

2002 s10, DD and AutoX.
      1966 Malibu owned since 1971. Drag car converting to track toy!

Tru-Trac. Just make sure you use the right gear oil as recommended by Eaton.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Pay attention to rear axle bearings as well. I killed several sets of the sealed axle bearings in my big torino style 9" axle bearings before switching to the A20 style tapered bearings. Some bearings cant take the side loads you'll put on them autocrossing.

I also killed several clutch style posi diffs before switching to a mechanical locker.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Truetrac. At the time I bought mine, I recall it was actually cheaper (barely) than the clutch posi by Eaton. As said above, follow the recommend fluid and don't use an additive either.

Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Quote Originally Posted by rixtrix1 View Post
      8.5" from a 2wd Blazer. You just have to watch the width as 2wd, 4wd and extended (ZR2?) are different. I have a Detroit Locker with soft springs for my Chevelle with a 9" Ford axle.
      I just put a Truetrac in my 7.625 S10 10 bolt last Sunday, in place of the g80 Govloc. Have an autoX in a week, but in street driving it this past week, it feels really smooth with seamless engagement. No inside tire spin and able put power out center of corner immediately.
      Ric

2002 s10, DD and AutoX.
      1966 Malibu owned since 1971. Drag car converting to track toy!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com