Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Keeping records of your build?

Evening guys and gals,

So I'm curious as to how you keep track of all the non stock parts of your build. I got a binder and laminate sheets and I've been tracking everything I can. Ive taken educated guesses on years of cars that I've raided at the pick and pulls, but I can't be 100% sure. Do you take pictures of the vins and look them up. I know my seats are an option out of a focus(2013?). Do you save all of your purchase invoices?

Any cool ideas that we can share would be awesome. Excel, binders, white boards in the garage, whatever we have going on would be awesome.

Country Flag: United States
      I have a spreadsheet of what I bought, part number, cost and vendor. It’s been quite helpful for myself as well as helping others.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      I have a spreadsheet of what I bought, part number, cost and vendor. It’s been quite helpful for myself as well as helping others.
      Ive been thinking about a spreadsheet. What happens if I sell the truck or better yet pass it on to my daughter, it would screw over the next ower if it were as is because nothing is stock anymore. Hell its not even all ford.

All bagged parts removed got a bag number, put on a spreadsheet to look for later, all new parts get a box number also on spreadsheet, also all got a location at my house. spreadsheet of every part i will need, cost, who to purchase from, all receipts got holes punched and in notebooks. probably took 1500 pictures as the teardown occured. pictures everyday of any work i did. now everything on a memory stick to use on a laptop (with big monitor) next to my car as i am putting back together. probably now about 2500 pictures. all costs on spreadsheet, i can tell you every cent spent (and it now scares the crap out of me!)
      realize i am an Engineer who takes nothing for grant-it and i assumes nothing. maybe even obsessive a bit.
      Now all of this info is paying off in the ease of finding parts and not duplicate ordering. now almost 7 years in this restoration.
      Just my way to do it. not for all
      PT in Tennessee
      1968 Roadrunner Restomod

I use this spreadsheet.... http://www.v8speedshop.com/index.php...anner-download
      I also keep a printed copy in a separate binder for each car along with receipts etc. I write notes of significance like used, what it came from, modifications to it.

I use a spreadsheet to keep track of parts, numbers, where purchased and how much each costs. Also I track labor costs and budget in a spreadsheet (that one is getting scary). All reciepts are in hard file folders to be scanned at the end of the build. Photos are saved and organized on my computer. I also keep a word document with all of the car design ideas organized in sections, interior, exterior, engine, etc, so as new ideas, paint colors, come up, I can keep track of them.

I use cloud-based spreadsheets aka google sheets. I wrote up how I track things here: https://whatdoesphilknow.wordpress.c...eadsheet-game/

Caution, I go way overkill on this stuff.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

I kept the receipts for my build .But I didn`t add them up .Its just scary.

I have a receipt for everything going back to 1975 for my car. Luckily Dad was rather insane when it came to the car. Every oil change, aftermarket receipt is in a binder. Let alone every piece of paper relevant to my chapter of the cars build.

Stored in a filing cabinet in the office.

I keep all the receipts mainly so if a life time guaranty part fails like an alternator or power steering pump I can take it back to the place I bought it and replace it for free. I don't add up all the parts costs. I figure if it comes time to sell the car I will only get what the market will bear not what I have in it. Also if I sell the car I give all the receipts to the buyer for their reference.

project tracker

I have a filing cabinet in my garage full of receipts, but its a mess. Mostly I just keep track of big ticket items. But then I started a blog to track the build, and I try to list part #s to go with a photo or description of the part. I have referred back to it several times when I need to reference something.
      http://jeff351.blogspot.com
      http://jeff351.blogspot.com

1970 Torino GT
      twin turbo 351c, 6 spd

I have a binder for all my instructions with notes and i have another binder for all of my invoices. I dont add the invoices up but every once in awhile i will review some instructions.

I have an Excel Spreadsheet I use to keep track of the build. I don't put every little thing in it because I forget sometimes, but the big ticket items are there.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

I don't add up the costs.

I do keep a record of the parts I use. I've been trying to use a lot of factory parts (from other vehicles) on my build. I did an LS swap with a DIY hydroboost. I swapped the PS pump, booster, MC, and lines from a variety of other vehicles, so it helps identify what's installed.
      Brian

1972 C10 - 454/TH400 - Short bed conversion - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...1972-C10-SoCal
      1970 Nova - LS Swap - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Cal?highlight=

As a guy who took a 10 year break from the car and is now trying to come back and pick up where I left off, I wish I had made a spreadsheet of what was on the car. I've forgotten so many things I never imagined not remembering. I've started a spreadsheet now to track everything I know about the car, especially the one off stuff.
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

No.

A spreadsheet is the best way to document your project. Mine is an Excel workbook (with multiple spreadsheets within). I have a spreadsheet for each major sub-section of my project, i.e. engine, suspension, electrical, interior, brakes, etc. This is where I keep track of all the research that goes into finding alternate parts that work (and don't). I have one for expenses (I don't let my wife see this one-lol) and one that documents every part that went into my build, including the original application notes if the part was "borrowed" from another make & model.

When I make a purchase for my car, I log it into the expense spreadsheet and the project spreadsheet so I know the cost and the supplier of the part for future reference. I'm 6 years into my build and this method has already helped me remember things that I had forgotten since starting the project. I've taken lots of pictures as well and saved them on my laptop categorized into folders that parallel the the spreadsheets, i.e. engine, suspension, electrical, etc. I'm an engineer, so I know I'm more anal than most, but this method has allowed me to assist other guys with questions about adding delay wipers, or bigger brakes, or 3-point seat belts into convertibles, etc.
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com