Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

T56/SBC Conversion Kit

I'm having a hell of a time finding a kit without the transmission for a 1st gen Camaro with a SBC. The kits I have seen that include the Magnum would be overkill for me so I am toying with the idea of using a used standard T56. I don't need the extra strength of a new Magnum. I am using a factory console so I don't want to modify the tunnel as I understand the Magnum's case is a bit larger. The kits also all seem to have steel bell housings. Isn't there an aluminum one available?

I installed an 06 GTO LS2/T56 into a 69 and didn't really have any major problems. I can't remember how far off the shifter location was as I used a custom console and an changeable offset shifter handle so using a regular T56 might be an issue with a factory console.

Can anybody offer some advice on how to do this? I don't want to reinvent the wheel by having to design and fabricate a system for this to work.

Thanks!

Larry

Country Flag: United States
      You need to be careful when buying a T56. Specifically, you need to buy an "LS" style T56. An LS T56 will allow you to keep your stock SBC bell housing and flywheel/clutch, provided it has a 1 1/8" 26 spline disk, with the use of an adapter plate which bolts in place of the old transmission then the T56 bolts to the adapter. Or if you don't want to use an adapter you can use a Quicktime bell housing. Keep in mind that you must use an "LS" style T56 for this to work not the LT version. An LT T56 will require a totally different flywheel/clutch/bellhousing setup.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-8-207
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Good points from The JDMan on proper trans selection. Once you determine what trans you will use, you can get individual components for from the various vendors of the install kits, but you'll probably end up paying a bit more for them if not in a kit. I know that American Power Train sells individual components. I have their X-Factor trans cross member and really like its design. It comes with 3 different cross pieces for adjustability and you could even drill additional holes if required for your application. Check Hurst Driveline, SST and American Power Train for parts. Depending upon what trans you select, you may not need to buy a whole new bellhousing, but could buy a less expensive adapter plate and buy one of the vendor's multi-position shifters to fit your original opening.

Quote Originally Posted by 69-er View Post
      I'm having a hell of a time finding a kit without the transmission for a 1st gen Camaro with a SBC. The kits I have seen that include the Magnum would be overkill for me so I am toying with the idea of using a used standard T56. I don't need the extra strength of a new Magnum. I am using a factory console so I don't want to modify the tunnel as I understand the Magnum's case is a bit larger. The kits also all seem to have steel bell housings. Isn't there an aluminum one available?

I installed an 06 GTO LS2/T56 into a 69 and didn't really have any major problems. I can't remember how far off the shifter location was as I used a custom console and an changeable offset shifter handle so using a regular T56 might be an issue with a factory console.

Can anybody offer some advice on how to do this? I don't want to reinvent the wheel by having to design and fabricate a system for this to work.

Thanks!

Larry
      Larry,
      We sell complete conversions and individual parts as well. Pretty much I'll set you up with whatever you need if I have it. To help answer some of your questions though, 1. The Magnum and the older "F-Body" T56 are nearly the same size. There are some differences in the tailhousing area as far as the shifter location, trans mount, and overall length, but the body of the transmissions are the same. There isn't a direct T56 to SBC aluminum bellhousing, and like Steve mentioned you can use those adapter plates on the T56 with an older 621 style aluminum bellhousings. I prefer to go without an adapter and use the Quicktime version RM-6023. No matter what you want to do it can always be done, some things are just easier than others. Just keep in mind that all the parts available will normally be geared to the Magnum conversions since that's what's new and readily available and popular. Nothing wrong the the older T56 swap, but it's becoming less common these days.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Over the winter I swapped an lt1 t56 behind my sbc in my El Camino. It was pretty straightforward, I used an American powertrain swap flywheel and stock lt1 bellhousing and hydraulics. I had to raise and widen the tunnel in my application, I’m not sure there is away to avoid that.
      Brandon

71 El Camino ZZ430/700r4,
      72 Buick Sun Coupe slowly working on LSx/6spd swap
      63 Nova husband and wife daily driver and autocross project

Quote Originally Posted by Craig@Bowler View Post
      There isn't a direct T56 to SBC aluminum bellhousing,
      I will have to respectfully disagree...

Weir Hot Rod Products

I used one of these with an LT1 T56 and a SBC way back in the late 90's. I have no knowledge of them since that time, but the website appears to still be up, so it's worth giving them a call...

Good luck!
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

Bob Weir Hot Rod Products

I am looking for Bob Weir e mail address , I need to order replacement bearings for his LT1 ,T56 internal Clutch Release bearing. my e mail is, [email protected]
      Jacobus Smit,any body please help

how do I contact Bob Weir from Weir Hot rod Products.
      [email protected]

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com