Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I may have had a major breakthrough last night. Started pulling the upper intake manifold to go after the injectors for some resistance testing, and noticed the TPS sensor looked a little... iffy. The ground is nearly pulled completely out of the sensor! I ordered a new one from Rockauto and it shipped from within Texas so it should be here shortly. Really excited that this may be the magic bullet.

84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

The TPS certainly looks suspect. Hopefully a new one fixes your issues!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

TPS normally pulls a code if it is acting up in my experience.

Do you have direct manifold vacuum to the FPR? Also check the O2 sensor harness for breaks or tears. Another thing the look at is the ECT sensor that tells the computer what the engine temp is
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Quote Originally Posted by Z06killinSBF View Post
      Do you have direct manifold vacuum to the FPR?
      Yup, and it levels at 40 when disconnected.
      Also check the O2 sensor harness for breaks or tears.
      Will do. Harness looked good when I installed new O2's last summer but I havent inspected the whole thing.
      Another thing the look at is the ECT sensor that tells the computer what the engine temp is
      That's a good one. Haven't looked at that in a long time.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

There is a chart out there that tells you the ranges to tell if your sensors are good, let me see if I have it and I'll text it to you.
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

There is a chart out there that tells you the ranges to tell if your sensors are good, let me see if I have it and I'll text it to you.
      got it, thanks man. for reference, heres the sites

http://veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/
      https://foxstang.com/complete-efi-se...x-mustang-eec/
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

I installed the new TPS, set it at .95v idle, swept to WOT clean, and showed 4.6v so greater than 3v. So the computer is seeing WOT. Miss is STILL THERE.

Tested all injectors, all showed right around 15-15.1 ohms.
      Tested maf power,ground, resistance. all good.
      Tested iac, resistance and voltage good.
      Cleaned IAT because I misread Z06killinSBF's post about the ECT

havent crawled underneath it to test the o2's. they are both fairly new but still worth testing.

installed the quarterhorse with a stock a9l tune and it started. mainly did this so i'd be able to datalog to help figure out the stuff from above.

Mister projectbiketruck sent me this post which showed some interesting injector troubleshooting. My dad also suggested physically testing the injectors so I guess i'm gonna try that. I'll also verify 12v/ground at the harness, I didn't do that while I was resistance testing the injectors because I was SO CERTAIN that I was gonna find a dead one via resistance. Hindsight is 20/20).

Here are the details from that post:
      Quote Originally Posted by jstanard
      Electrically, everything checked out. +12v on one pin, other pin had continuity all the way to the ecm. Impedance between the pins was 14.8 or 15.8 (can't remember) but it was the same as two other injectors. A fully clogged injector seemed unlikely since the entire fuel system is new and I had previously overhauled and tested each injector but I couldn't rule it out. I pulled the injector and connected it to a 9v battery. I could hear and feel the solenoid clicking. I rigged up a bicycle pump and rubber tubing to verify the injector was opening. At 30 psi, I triggered the solenoid and ... nothing. After fooling around with it, eventually the blockage cleared and it would spray a perfect pattern of carb cleaner.

After reassemby, the miss is gone.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

TL;DR: I AM A MORON.

This weekend I tested the injectors. All clicked with 9v applied, the connectors all had clean 12v and ground, and each plug spits fuel when voltage is applied. So the injectors look good. I also got a closer look at the bottom of the regulator, and the rebuild kit Kirban sells will not work with a regulator as old as mine, so good thing I didnt take it apart!

Then I started walking through the Initial Tune Instructions from https://www.efidynotuning.com/ini.htm as I am building out an A9L2 tune for the car to datalog. One of those steps is verify base timing is 10* BTDC. So with the car warm, I check and my heart stops. It was at 10* ATDC. I last reset the timing over a year ago and I remember it being weird and moving around alot then, but didn't pay attention to it. The spade was disconnected and the car was warm then, so who knows what was going on, but this was clearly the culprit.

I quickly set the car back to 10* BTDC, then reset the idle and TPS since timing changed. Drove it around the block (relatively gingerly as it was raining all weekend, naturally), and the car ran AMAZING. I'm beside myself with internalized rage and happiness all at the same time. I haven't taken it for longer than a 5 minute drive as the weather has been ****, but the car spins the tires and lights the fires, so when it dries out I'm gonna take a longer drive with it to see how it acts.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

Been driving the car here and there, appears all good and runs as good as I can remember it ever running. So, when something runs good what do you do? Thats right, abuse it. Registered for the local auto-x this coming weekend, Equipe Rapide Challenge Cup #1: https://www.facebook.com/events/308073486726981/. Gotta update the magnetic numbers I had on my S197 to reflect CAM-T instead of C, and cut up the panel to fit on the fox.

previously, on the s197:

the dude who did the magnets also included separate number + class, so I'll only be butchering one panel and keeping one complete for keepsakes.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

You add the Torque Arm and Really beat on the Ghost.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here
      check out Opentracker Racing Products

got the vinyl updated with the help of the wifey and her Cameo Silhouette machine. Removed the old "C" and replaced it with a new "T". The magnets cut with basic scissors which was a nice surprise.

84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

Had a great time at the Equipe Rapide autocross. Ran in CAM-T as a Novice. The five other cars in the class were all modified 67-69 Camaros. Puttng my times in with the rest of the CAM-T novices and the one CAM-T participant, I placed second. Not bad. The car performed very well. Stayed cool and didnt miss a beat the entire time. It needs grip more than anything else, but I knew that going in with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 280TW tires from 2012.

84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

I think Icemanard hangs with those Camaro folks
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

I think Icemanard hangs with those Camaro folks
      yup he was there, i talked with him a bit. he beat me to first place by about 2 seconds flat with a 35.257 to my 37.248.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

Looks fun! I've been itching to get my car out since I got it driving.

What are you using to record and show telemetry? I like how the overlay looks.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Quote Originally Posted by WallaceMFG View Post
      Looks fun! I've been itching to get my car out since I got it driving.

What are you using to record and show telemetry? I like how the overlay looks.
      Its a Garmin VIRB Elite that i bought back in 2016. Its out of production, but here is the product page: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/11...n/010-01088-15. It has a ton of overlay options and uses its own built-in GPS, accelerometer, and whatnot. Builds the track map from its own data. I really like it.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

A good buddy of mine (instagram.com/e4drht) started making headlight relay harnesses for Fox-platform vehicles. I had him wire up one for the Ghost. His setups use OEM-style connectors and you merely have to connect positive to the battery, negative to ground, find a place for the relays, and plug it all in. Everything is loomed and made from high-quality wiring. I get no kickback, I'm just impressed with his work.

The kit showed up in a nice plastic bag all ready to go:

I hooked it up last night, making sure to take some before and after low beam pictures. I mounted the relays on the opposite side of the driver inner fender, basically behind the battery between the horns and the washer bottle. Then the wiring snakes around to the headlights, and one wire hookup to the battery (well, my distribution box, but close enough). The results are pretty surprising.

Low before:

Low after:

Will probably be taking the car out tonight for a car meet, so we'll see how big a difference it is on the road.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

new headlight harness really brightened up the night-time driving. high beams are epic.

i also took the bind out of the front sway bar. did it by spacing out the mount from the frame with a washer on either side. all sway bars should rotate with pinky force when unbolted from the control arms. if they don't, modify or adjust the mounts to prevent that bind. the front of the car feels a lot lighter and more feedback than before.

new rear tires showed up. scored 15% off tire rack's ebay price (slightly cheaper than the site). Falken Azenis RT615K+ 275/35/18. the little dude approves.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

Lights look great when put on relays. Makes you wonder why it took the OEMs so long to do it from the factory lol.

Nice score on the tires!
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast