Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Spent some time playing with tire fitments and re-aligning the car.

Right now the setup is 18x9 et24 245/40/18 front, 18x10 et22 275/40/18 rear. I want a square setup all-around for handling reasons. I test-fit the 18x10 rear wheel/tire up front and it didn't go well. Directly comparing the 18x9 et24 to the 18x10 et22 results in 11mm less inner clearance and the face of the wheel extending 15mm from where the 18x9 sits. This seemed possible on paper but as usual, physical mockup is best.

So it hits just about everywhere. Especially the front of the fender edge. I'd have to trim the hell out of it and that doesn't really appeal to me. The rear fender edge rubs too, but its minimal and a simple roll of the lip would solve it. But, where I'm most worried is under the fender, where the tire nearly touches the coilover. At any appreciable g-force in a corner, the tire will flex and most likely will rub the coilover. Bad news bears. I also tried exploiting the slotted ears on the bilstein struts which does give much more space BUT severely limits the amount of camber the car runs. Like, back to zero.

I put everything back together and maxed out the camber since I knew it was basically at none. Using my Longacre toe plates and maximum motorsports camber gauge, I ended up with -1.25* camber and 1/32" toe-in. I wanted zero toe for wear but I'll live with such a minimal amount of in since chances are, I'll screw it up and end up with more toe than I want and/or a mis-aligned steering wheel.

I need to have the alignment confirmed at a known good shop. I also re-evaluated the timeline budget for the car and will be putting a quarterhorse at the top of the list to hopefully get the car in a better state of tune. Been spending time on the efituner forums and reading their guides.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

A 275/35 would fit better but you'll still need to space the wheel out and run flares. Better to step up to a 18x12 315 combo.....
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Quote Originally Posted by Z06killinSBF View Post
      A 275/35 would fit better but you'll still need to space the wheel out and run flares. Better to step up to a 18x12 315 combo.....
      yeah based on how i want the car to look, flares are not on the table. a 35-series is probably what i'll end up with based on how tall the 275/40 looked. stock bodylines!
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

I'm sure you know already but if you get the 91-93 front fender extensions you can modify that fender to match and gain around .5"

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      I'm sure you know already but if you get the 91-93 front fender extensions you can modify that fender to match and gain around .5"
      i was under the impression the entire fender was different 91+, is it really just the extension and the metal underneath?

also, checked codes since it has been occasionally flickering the CEL at me on coast/decel, code 34 egr voltage too low. the car has had a long history with this code, so i probably just need to do a deep cleaning on the valve (or get a quarterhorse tuner and turn it off...)
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

Best I could tell it is just the extension and the metal under the extension. I painted both type extensions when I sprayed my 87 so I would have both. I looked it over very closely and that is the only difference I could tell.

Here's a link with some pictures of the different fenders and extensions side by side.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...ustang.839024/

The fender is different on a 90-93, but in the end the earlier fender could be trimmed to fit the extension and nobody would notice.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Quote Originally Posted by WallaceMFG View Post
      Here's a link with some pictures of the different fenders and extensions side by side.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...ustang.839024/

The fender is different on a 90-93, but in the end the earlier fender could be trimmed to fit the extension and nobody would notice.
      Nice, thanks for the details. Might have to source some LX extensions from the local fox parts dude.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

Pulled off the EGR based on code 34. It was a bit dirty. I used a hand vacuum pump and an air compressor to manually activate the valve to ensure operation and see if air flowed with the valve closed. It did, which is bad.

Researched cleaning methods and found soaking in a carb cleaner is the way to go. Luckily I had some fancy Motorcraft carb cleaner from doing the plugs on an S197 Mustang I used to own.

I used a small tool caddy that was sized just right for the EGR valve. For those of you playing along at home, the goal is to avoid soaking the rubber diaphragm and electronics. I repeatedly used the vacuum pump to move the valve through its range. The fluid turned pretty dark.

After soaking for an hour, the valve came out damn clean. I also used some spray carb cleaner to blast the orifice clean. LOTS of black carbon all over the inside. Sparkly clean now, but haven't had a chance for a test drive.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

Picked up a set of Flowmaster 40's and tailpipes. Yes, the welds are terrible and will be fixed.

The reason behind the "new" mufflers is that the MAC catback on the car now will NOT clear the Maximum Motorsports PHB and TA I have sitting at my parent's place. It's a clamp-together setup that has a pair of clamps directly where the PHB mounts. So instead of spending ~$160 for a set of new tailpipes and then spending more money customizing my existing exhaust, I found this set of Flowmaster 40's with tailpipes for $150, a setup that clears the MM stuff by default. I think I'll be able to sell my catback for more than $150 and come out even in the end. I've also been talking with my buddy Danny (https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ect-Bike-Truck) about how to setup the tailpipes, we're thinking a v-band setup at the rear of the mufflers, so the tail pipes can be removed if need-be, and it would allow me to swap to dumps for #becauseracecar shenanigans.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

Nice build man, doing something similar with a 90 coupe, just finished with the IRS swap and about to make a donation to the MM gods. I'm over in Royse City if you ever need a hand with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by samuel642000 View Post
      Nice build man, doing something similar with a 90 coupe, just finished with the IRS swap and about to make a donation to the MM gods. I'm over in Royse City if you ever need a hand with anything.
      Thanks man. IRS is a hell of a swap! Same to you, if you need a hand just give me a holler.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

Ordered a pile o things during Black Friday/Cyber Monday to hopefully solve a few issues with the car. Orered FatFoxx's side-mount TFI relocation harness (http://fatfoxx.com/products.php), an OEM-style coil SMP FD478T to finally get all the MSD off the car (turns out Ford did it better for my application, WHO KNEW?), WIX 33097 fuel filter, Carter P74151HP (which is a OEM 255LPH pump, but the order got cancelled, booo!), and Percy's Exhaust Header Gasket 66014 (been hearing a bit of a leak, and i know the ones on the car are ancient).

Started on the TFI relocation last night and its a LOT of detailed wiring work, but it has been going smoothly. Will post pics next time.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

Wrapped up the FatFoxx TFI Relocation Kit (Part # 423706) last night, as well as removing the MSD coil and replacing with the updated OEM coil. The car fired up on the first try, so thats a good thing. Seems to run better but I have a trailer in front of the shop door so didn't get a chance to pull it out for a test drive.

Deep dive on how this all works: The EFI fox mustangs have a Thick Film Ignition module mounted on the distributor. This unit hates vibration and heat. So Ford put it in a bad spot for both, on the distributor! There were recalls for this back-in-the-day. Fun fact, Ford learned from their mistake with the SN95 5.0 Mustangs (94-95), which had a fender-mounted TFI on a small heatsink from the factory. The FatFoxx kit basically takes the SN95 approach and supersized it with premium wiring and a large heatsink with Arctic Silver thermal paste for superior thermal transfer. The instructions are detailed, clear, and have large color photographs. Everything is included, including heatshrink and crimp connectors. All you provide is the routing path and mounting the heatsink to the car at your chosen location. Note: make that location accesible, as this is where the SPOUT connector is located, used to lock out the ECU when setting timing.

The OEM wiring as follows, there is the main engine loom along the firewall, with a small loomed extension running to the TFI, installed on the distributor at the front of the motor.
      Red = Shielded TFI wiring
      Blue = Ignition Wiring, unshielded

This is the FatFoxx revised wiring path.
      Red = Shielded TFI wiring
      Blue = Ignition Wiring, unshielded
      Light Blue = Extension of Ignition Wiring, unshielded (included in the FatFoxx kit)
      Green = New wiring between TFI and Distributor, with copper drain wire (included in the FatFoxx kit)
      Orange = TFI/Headsink combo, heatsink from the FatFoxx kit

New distributor wiring

Re-wrapped factory harness with new wiring heading down the passenger inner fender, under the porportioning valve

Heatsink mounted next to the MAF just behind the OEM airbox

Also installed the updated OEM coil (Part # FD478T). Turns out Ford updated the coil in 93 and its perfect for mild builds like mine. Same or better spark than the MSD stuff but falls flat above 6500 rpm. If I was revving above that (I'm not!), then maybe a MSD might be worth it. I'm all for stealth and using off-the-shelf non-fancy parts. This coil also retails for $16, so thats nice.

A user on corral was asking about how the MAC Flowpath mufflers sound, so I recorded a clip after the car warmed up.
      https://youtu.be/tef2Zd071_4
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

I just ordered that coil, my MSD is getting trashed
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

I just ordered that coil, my MSD is getting trashed
      cant beat the price!
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

got the new fuel filter in. its been 4 years and only 1,000 miles since the old one! my dad must have swapped it when he was storing the car, as I didnt have it in my records.

At the same time i pulled the MAC catback exhaust out, as it wont work with the goodies coming in winter (MM PHB/TA combo). Put the flowmaster 40's with no tailpipes on, using some Pypes universal hangers so i could test drive the car.

Its stupidly loud and when cold, resonates with the shop doors. Not good. Test drove it and the stutter is still there, which I kind of expected but still, back to the drawing board. Opinion from the peanut gallery is either fuel or spark. Plugs have less than a year and less than a thousand miles on them, and looked good when I pulled them a few months ago. Ignition system is factory and mostly new. From my understanding, if the plug/wires/cap/rotor is good; then the rest of the ignition system typically fails in a go/no go manner. THe car starts just fine so I dont think that's it. The other thing to me would be fuel. The pump is a 18 year old BBK 190LPH and the fuel injectors are equally old FMS 24lbs. I think maybe a tank of seafoam, then drop the tank and go after the pump if that doesn't fix it. Of course, theres always going with a Quarterhorse and being able to datalog (and turn off everything I don't need....)
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

What stutter does it have
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

What stutter does it have
      noticeable roughly above 3k rpm when applying throttle, basically feels like it loses power for a moment, over and over. no pinging or anything like that. steady state cruise is fine. idles fine. revving without load is fine.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by frink84 View Post
      noticeable roughly above 3k rpm when applying throttle, basically feels like it loses power for a moment, over and over. no pinging or anything like that. steady state cruise is fine. idles fine. revving without load is fine.
      Sounds eerily similar to mine, ended up being head gasket failure.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast