Country Flag: United States

Default Thoughts on billet hood hinges

I'm needing to buy hood hinges for my 67 chevelle in the next few weeks. I'm looking for opinions on billet hood hinges. Right now i'm looking at EMS, or Ring Brothers hinges. Looks are not a factor to me in this decision, i'm interested in functionality. Do they make lining up the hood easier? Meaning, is there more or less adjustability with them over the stock style? If anyone has any experience with these, I would like to hear your thoughts on them. If they function considerably better than a stock hinge, I wouldn't mind spending the money on them. But if they are primarily for looks, I'll just stick with a factory style, and spend the extra $4-500 somewhere else. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

I'd look for someone's used good factory hood hinges for less money before coughing up $500 for billet ones.

Maybe I'm just old school but I've never saw the point in them unless your going to be popping your hood at car shows all the time to proudly display them for who knows why. They're nice no doubt but for show cars I guess?To each their own.
    Ahmad B.

I don't understand how they could function considerably better; hood open, hood close, that's pretty much it.
    Edit- I had the black Fesler ones; they changed nothing about how I used my hood.

I have a set of the Fesler ones and like them. I used to be in the crowd that said “There is no way I am paying $500+ on a set of hood hinges.” I also picked some up at a reduced price from someone changing directions on their build. I like the fact that my old factory hinges were loose (worn rivets) and these keep everything nice and solid (no side to side play/ movement). Are they required? No, but they can be a nice addition if you like them.
    Chris
    1968 Chevy Camaro SS
    LS3/T56 Ridetech suspension

I went with the Summit Racing brand for my '68 Camaro(considerably cheaper that the big name ones). Absolutely love them! They look cool and function beautifully - even better then the stock as they have no side to side movement. Very easy to align.

i have the ringbrothers hood hinges. Amazing fit and function. Less slop in the hinges for consistent hood alignment.

not a solution but some food for thought. I wasn't a fan of the hinges available and opted for a gas strut and hinged hood, it cost a little less in fabrication and to me it looks a lot cleaner. the only downside is it doesn't open as far as it did originally.

Quote Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-It View Post
    I'd look for someone's used good factory hood hinges for less money before coughing up $500 for billet ones.
    +1

Billet is just bling. Nothing more.
    Standard OEM VS aftermarket they both just open and close if set right from the jump.

You can get a nice set of OEM hood springs and have them stripped and powdercoated.
    That's what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by CreepinDeth View Post
    +1

Billet is just bling. Nothing more.
    Standard OEM VS aftermarket they both just open and close if set right from the jump.
    The difference is that the billet ones have ball bearings so they cycle more smoothly than the stock ones. They also have no side to side movement, so you can have smaller hood gaps if you desire.

I bought billet ones, modified them slightly to fit better, and they work great. This is a case where the billet is not just for show, they are a better design.
    Nelson
    1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

When the hood is closed, you can't tell the difference between a stock hinge and a billet hinge! I'll keep my stock hinges and spend my money on something that actually makes a difference.
    Steve Hayes
    "Dust Off"
    68 Camaro

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
    "Jeremy Clarkson"

Get the stock ones rebuilt.
    69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
    68 camaro - SOLD
    67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    When the hood is closed, you can't tell the difference between a stock hinge and a billet hinge!
    There's a lot of things you can't see when the hood is closed, lol.
    John Parsons

II Much Fabrication's Blog -- New products, Fabrication sequences, etc.

II Much Fabrication's Current Build -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Ain't that the truth JP.

VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com