Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

This 1965 Buick is being restored by a complete idiot, but I'm learning.

Hey all!

I'm Chris, and I've been lurking on your site for a while, taking in all the fabrication goodness and just enjoying all of your builds. I happen to have a 1965 Buick Riviera (my favorite year)that I pulled out of a driveway in rural Kansas. Four months prior to that, it had been sitting in a field in Oklahoma for longer than I've been alive.

Here's the ad for the car:

Here is me bringing it home.

Oops, that trailer has a 2 5/16" ball, not a 2 inch, like on my hitch. Super thankful it didn't come off on the 75 mph blast down the highway!

Finally got the right ball and got it going.

Boy that car is awfully close to me...

Got it hosed off, now to its parking spot for a while.

Did some poking around, got the headlights to come on and the car to crank over with the ignition. That metal hanging down is the lower radiator support that the guy I bought car from tried to tow the car with. Geniuses.

After replacing the oil and some ignition parts, it as time to get the carb working.
      Nasty, but I freed up the linkage and dumped gas in it. I have video somewhere of me actually getting it started. Once I confirmed that its not damaged, it was time to start tearing it apart.

Got the front end and fender off. Good grief! They did not want this thing falling off!
      When we pulled the A/C compressor lines off, they made a satisfying "Fssss!" Are you kidding me? After sitting for 37-38 years, the a/c still held pressure? Impressive!

Great placement, GM. In order to remove the wiper motor, you have to pull the fender. Fantastic. Oh well. This car won't likely have wipers.
      Got the inner fenders and core support out.

Getting closer!
      Now to strip the trim and interior and prepare the car for sandblasting.

Oh Holy (holey) Floor!

OH yeah, we should probably pull the engine and trans too.

I am now at the point where I've got the firewall and the interior completely stripped, and I've got the windshield out and traced onto cardboard, if I have to make one.

Because I have a fairly limited budget, I'll likely be making my own interior panels, dash pad and installing seats from a Sebring Convertible or a regular cab Silverado with the seatbelts mounted to the seats. I'll be rebuilding the engine myself (machine work done locally) and I'll be looking for a 700R4 to replace the ST400. Plans for the body include blacking out all the chrome with Plasti-dip and painting the body flat white.

For some reason, a previous owner removed the headlight motors instead of just diconnecting them from the linkage, so I'll likely attempt to figure out how to fab an alternative solution. One person has installed a single motor behind the front bumper that rust both sides, but I think I want to try to reuse head light motors or an actuator out of a newer car like a probe or something.

You guys have inspired me to press on in this project and to take each piece one step at a time. My hope is to have it running and on the road in about 2 years. Thanks for all that you do,

Peace,
      Chris

Awesome build!. . . . ridetech!!!!! Take your time, enjoy the fun, learn. Good luck.

it should be a requirement to watch RoadHouse now.
      Keith C.

Quote Originally Posted by twosaturns View Post
      ^^^ X2 good luck with the project!

Cool deal, I'll definitely be following this. I've got a 64 Riviera that is about 3 cars away from being worked on.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Only way to learn is by doing it hands on.

The 65' Riv is THE best looking full size car ever built. Period. No contest. Awesome project. Ill be tuning in.
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

If you decide to do an LS swap I have motor mounts and a transmission crossmember that can easily be installed.

Quote Originally Posted by 53Vipette View Post
      If you decide to do an LS swap I have motor mounts and a transmission crossmember that can easily be installed.
      Does a stock GM oil pan work? Like an F-body one?
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Love the Rivs, knew a guy that had a beautiful, rust free 63 he wanted $2,500 for. If you gave him asking price, you would go home with the original drive train along with a 455 and TH400. Feel free to tell me how stupid I am for not bringing it home!
      Name:  20140215_141749.jpg
Views: 2022
Size:  183.8 KB
      Name:  20140215_141736.jpg
Views: 2035
Size:  150.2 KB
      Name:  20140215_141725.jpg
Views: 2025
Size:  178.8 KB
      Name:  20140215_141717.jpg
Views: 2001
Size:  183.8 KB
      Name:  20140215_141711.jpg
Views: 1994
Size:  149.8 KB

Awesome Project! Subscribing!

Riv should be rear steer so id look into an lsx swap oil pan made for either 1st gen Fbody or Xbody

With that being said
      Check out v8buick.com if you haven't already
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

That was the only catch I had to have an oil pan made. The customer brought me a truck oil pan to work with... Let's just say it took some heavy modification to work, I heard after the car left the F Body oil pan would work with a small notch but I can't verify.

Quote Originally Posted by twosaturns View Post
      I was thinking the same thing!

Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

Oh, this is gonna be cool. Love that car.
      You could probably rig up some vacuum actuators for those headlights cheaper than an electric version.
      Just a thought.

Rock on man, thanks for all the pics!
      Bob

Quote Originally Posted by 53Vipette View Post
      That was the only catch I had to have an oil pan made. The customer brought me a truck oil pan to work with... Let's just say it took some heavy modification to work, I heard after the car left the F Body oil pan would work with a small notch but I can't verify.
      Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to figure out if a 455 is a drop in deal as well. I'm on the fence between that and keeping it Buick, or dropping an LQ4 in there.

I got my back glass out and all the trim intact! I also managed to extract the rear quarter glass. I cannot get the motors to function at all, so I had to basically work the glass back and forth and unseat it from where they glued it in. Perhaps this will make it easier to remove the rear window motors.

I'm just a few bits of trim and a bumper away from getting it down to my buddy's house to get it blasted!

Chris

So, slow motion on this. I've focused on some electrical work in my 79 Camaro and replacing a window regulator and a door lock actuator and speakers in my 90 F-150 (only 82k miles!) so its slow going. My next project is to build a dolly for the body so I can ship the frame out to get stripped and painted.

Question, if you still have the ST400, and would possibly sell it or sell parts from the trans? PM or text 812-709-1006. I need some ST400 parts.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

If you have not already, please join the Riviera Owners Association. Also hit me up if you need any help with this car. I've had 3 Rivieras including the '64 that I'm currently slowly working up in Pro-Touring fashion though I kept mine all Buick with a Turbo6.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      Experimental Physicist

'64 Riviera T-type: 4.1L Buick Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 OBDII SEFI swap

ROA# 9790

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com