Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Headrests!

Country Flag: United States

Headrests!

I have noticed recently that a lot of guys are building some amazing looking rides, yet they frequently seem to be missing what I think is a crucial safety element; headrests.

A good number of years ago I purchased a Buick Reatta convertible for my wife's daily. In Little Rock, Arkansas I was rear-ended by a semi (long story that involved a dog, cars slamming on the brakes, cars changing lanes, and a semi driver who was apparently paying little attention to what was happening right in front of him). When he hit me, I was probably traveling around 30 or 40 mph. He was doing 70. My wife's new car was totaled. I survived, with my only real injuries being two herniated discs.

Today, those herniated discs (with impingement into my spinal column) cause frequent headaches, some so bad they last for 24-hours or more, with photophobia and vomiting.

But here's the thing; that car had headrests. I cannot imagine the damage to my neck had the car not had them. So why do so many run without them?
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Country Flag: Canada
      I often have the same question. I cringe at the thought of getting rear ended without a head rest.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

It's looks over safety.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

People who build cars without head rests are idiots. I hate seeing a newly done interior with late model seats that have the head rest removed. Personally I think it looks bad not having them.

I put 2016 Mustang GT seats in my '68 Camaro. I kept the headrests on the front buckets and the rear seat. It blocks some of the rear window but I'm good with it..

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I have a friend who lost a high school buddy to this (decades ago.) The guy got rear-ended hard and the total lack of headrest snapped his neck. That was the only serious injury on him.

Moral of the story: even a headrest that is way too low can still be better than nothing at all.

Head rest for me

Spent yesterday afternoon/evening on the couch with a crazy tension headache... Yeah, I'll stick to headrests, thank you. :P
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Country Flag: Canada
      This is /was part of the reason for me choosing late model gto seats for my chevelle , now they aren't fit to the car yet but, any mods will still include headrests
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I keep having to bite my tongue when I see cars built like this. I see really awesome builds, even fully caged cars with 5 point harnesses, running low back buckets or bench seats that have no headrests and I instantly transform to safety nazi. If I say something, I come across as a troll. How do you kindly tell someone their car is awesome except for a huge miss on basic safety? What do you say to the guy that's super excited about his really nice new seats that are unfortunately missing this important element?
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

That was on my short list of things to address in my 68 since i knew i'd be driving it regularly. I now have seats with headrests installed and the stock seats are in the garage waiting to be turned into a bench.
      Kris - Building the poor man's '68 Mustang.

Funny you should mention this....Im in the middle of putting a set of Cobra Stuttgart seats and 3-point belts in my '64 Corvette for this very reason. You'd be shocked how much hate I've received over on the Corvette forum for modifying a car that is 100% perfect just as it came off the assembly line (at least according to the old timers on the forum).

Name:  IMG_7333.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  193.3 KBName:  IMG_7366.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  163.4 KB

The short answer is that there are a lot of stupid people in the world living as adults age-wise but high school freshmen mentally.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

I do know that rules for high speed driving events require headrests. After seeing the aftermath of Chris Bischof's Grand Prix, I am convinced that there is no good reason to skimp on safety, unless you plan on building a trailer queen that only idles from the garage to the trailer and from the trailer to the show. Personally, I don't see any real pro-touring car as a trailer queen.

The other issue that scares me is a 5 or 6 point harness with no roll bar. If you go through the effort to install a racing harness that will constrain you in an upright position, please install something to prevent your head from being removed in an accident. We spent a good deal of time designing and installing a roll bar in our HHR SS for the Sandhills Open Road Challenge and never used it. However, it would have performed its duties in the event we went shiny side down. Roll bar, 6-point harness, headrests, Snell SA rated helmets (not motorcycle helmets), fire suits, gloves, shoes and eye protection were all in use just in case.

Install the proper safety equipment. You will be glad in the event you need it.

Curious as to the opinion on original late 60’s early 70’s factory seats with head rests. Better than nothing or go without

Quote Originally Posted by IMPALAMAN1 View Post
      Curious as to the opinion on original late 60’s early 70’s factory seats with head rests. Better than nothing or go without
      The factory headrests are far better than nothing.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com