Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Nice score!!

66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Have you ever wanted to go get a monster truck and crush your project? Or maybe get a Porta-band and cut apart everything you have been working on for the last couple of months? I often feel like things are not perfect enough or within my tolerances. I feel like I’m just a hack. I often know things can be better or straighter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

I don't have any progress to show you guys. I have been getting my ass kicked by mounting my fuel cell. It’s twisted and moved and fought me every step of the way. I've dropped more wrenches and ratchets on my face than I would like to admit. It's pretty close to being in its final crooked resting place. I missed some math somewhere and something is off making the notch in my frame not centered with the filler neck. I spent a whole day trying to get that perfect. Fail!

This fuel cell is not perfect, nor is the mount. But I'm tired of fighting it. So this weekend it will get locked into place. If not, I'm going to cut it apart and throw it into my neighbor's yard.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here
      check out Opentracker Racing Products

I think most of us have been here. LOL

I was feeling this way about my front suspension a week ago. Now that I sat down and thought it through, I'm ready to win the battle. You'll get there man. The frustration is where our love of the finished product comes from.

And we all want you to make this happen!
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Dude ! You’re nothing special brother! lol !
      I go through the same thing just about every time I’m in the shop . The amount of times I’ve yelled out “why does this thing have to fight me!” must be in the hundreds. But then it feels good to say “ Ha ha I win !”. Hang in there brother.

Yup and hang in there. I have to walk away every now and then to get a fresh prospective and come back with a clear head.

I considered crushing my project with a monster truck, so I started building a monster truck, but it didn't meet my expectations and I was unsuccessful in crushing my project car. So now I have 2 project vehicles that "aren't good enough".
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixr320 View Post
      I think most of us have been here. LOL
      It's my struggle for the last couple of months.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      I was feeling this way about my front suspension a week ago. Now that I sat down and thought it through, I'm ready to win the battle. You'll get there man. The frustration is where our love of the finished product comes from.

And we all want you to make this happen!
      Thanks ill get past it and people will be none the wiser. Thanks for the support.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by langleylad View Post
      Dude ! You’re nothing special brother! lol !
      I go through the same thing just about every time I’m in the shop . The amount of times I’ve yelled out “why does this thing have to fight me!” must be in the hundreds. But then it feels good to say “ Ha ha I win !”. Hang in there brother.
      Tired of not winning at the moment, I am sure it will pass soon. Or at least I hope. Thanks for for the support.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted Falcon View Post
      Yup and hang in there. I have to walk away every now and then to get a fresh prospective and come back with a clear head.
      I walked away for a bit and then I stress on no progress. Catch 22 right?
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Quote Originally Posted by Zachalanche View Post
      I considered crushing my project with a monster truck, so I started building a monster truck, but it didn't meet my expectations and I was unsuccessful in crushing my project car. So now I have 2 project vehicles that "aren't good enough".
      Ha Ha, I hear you. I'm trying to build a wagon and restore a 1980 Tomos moped.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

This fuel cell has been kicking my ass, both figuratively and physically. Between the jack stand hitting my head, dropping tools on my face, things just not working out the way I wanted, and making the most heinous welds I have ever made.

I made this upper structure to stop upward movement and figured I would add some triangles to help with the rear stiffness. Let me tell you, welding while sitting up at a 45-degree angle on top of a tube with a couple of inches for clearance for the gun and blindly welding, this is where weld crimes are committed. Ugliest welds I have ever done.

Some adjustments here and there but it's in. Agana Metal Products fabbed up the cell for me. It has internal baffles and a small sump in the rear. I also tilted it back 1.5 degrees just to try to keep fuel towards the back. The cell is 23 gallons, and before you say it, I know that's a lot but my goal is to run E-85. Because of the engine swap to an EcoBoost 2.3, it will be a bit more of a challenge and will have to wait a bit before I go down that road. I tried to keep the tank low and as far forward as I felt comfortable.

Time to move on to mounting the rear Anti-Roll Bar!
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Sorry for the lack of updates. I have hit a wall. Between my personal and work life, I’m at a standstill. I say I’m at a standstill figuratively. But in reality, I’m in the garage walking in circles not getting anything done.

I’m not going to lie. I’m really tired of getting my ass kicked by everything I touch. I’d like to not have to design something, maybe just make it a little better or cleaner. I’d like to assemble something. I know this is an ironic statement being I’m building a custom car and hand making all the parts.

I have made a little progress on the rear Anti Roll bar mount and once I get it all welded up I’ll post some pictures. And I have removed the firewall. Once I get all the spot welds cleaned up I’ll share some pictures as well.

That being said check out this beautiful breather/catch can I got from https://www.swiftekengineering.com.au/, all the way from Australia!

I got the first one of these in the states and this thing is freaking amazing, to say the least. The tolerances and details are incredible. I’m nowhere near ready to install this on my project. But I had to have it. I met the owner of Swifttek while at SEMA; he was super cool and his parts are perfect. His quality and customer service are amazing.

So please bear with me while I get my work life sorted and get ready for my son to arrive in a couple of months.

Thanks for your support
      The management.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

That thing is a work of art ! . That’s a lot of design and machine work for a breather/catch can . Keep on keeping on brother.

I hear your frustration with the project kicking your ass. I am learning that my memory isn't what it used to be, so if I get frustrated with something I stop working on it, then later when I get back to working on it, its like I've never seen it before!
      http://jeff351.blogspot.com

1970 Torino GT
      twin turbo 351c, 6 spd

Quote Originally Posted by Project Bike Truck View Post
      Sorry for the lack of updates. I have hit a wall. Between my personal and work life, I’m at a standstill. I say I’m at a standstill figuratively. But in reality, I’m in the garage walking in circles not getting anything done.

I’m not going to lie. I’m really tired of getting my ass kicked by everything I touch. I’d like to not have to design something, maybe just make it a little better or cleaner. I’d like to assemble something. I know this is an ironic statement being I’m building a custom car and hand making all the parts.
      The management.
      I can't even put into words how much I feel this too! I've lost count of the times that I've mumbled to myself about needing to pick projects that have things you can actually buy. Hell I dread every call to vendors because I know I'm about to have to explain, again, how I know what I want and that it will work even though they don't list my vehicle as an application. Some days it feels like each tack weld is a battle. So I've learned to be OK with not even looking at the project for a day or two. Then I see other people enjoying the results of their hard work on their projects and it reinvigorates me again. If it was easy, we wouldn't enjoy the result as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Bike Truck View Post
      So please bear with me while I get my work life sorted and get ready for my son to arrive in a couple of months.

Thanks for your support
      The management.
      Coming from someone who had a kid 9 months ago, hurry up and get as much done as you can! Your life is about to turn into constant madness, in a good way of course (based on your avatar, its seems like you probably already know that). I am just now getting back to working on my Bug and its only from the time I get home, to the time the other half brings the kid home. About a hour and a half a day. At the same time, it has been a nice 9 month break. Like you, I got fed up on working on my Bug, changing everything around 2-3 times, things not fitting how they should... blah blah blah... Point being, having a kid and not thinking about or working on the project was a nice and needed break. Now I am back to it, ready to fight it every step of the way, just limited on the time I get to work on it. Keep on Bike Truckin!
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one. All of your posts have actually made me feel better. There has been so much going on that eats up time and I'm at the point with my project (block sanding primer) where it's really close but I just can't seem to drag my but out and work on it, which is after work, making dinner playing with the kids, mowing and whatever is on my honeydo list (usually 9pm). Support of groups like this is what helps motivate us to actually finish projects. Your build is great, keep at it and try to do one thing a day or week or whatever and that is one step closer to completion. Words I need follow as well. Keep it up man.
      1951 Ford F1, 1967 RS Camaro, 1979 Firebird Formula, 1979 Trans Am/LS swap.

To me hot rodding has always been about putting parts together that were never meant to be together. My plan has always been to do something in the shop everyday , of coarse it doesn't always happen. If it's only for half an hour or even a quick clean up so I can at least work without tripping over a hose or whatever. In the winter months , I don't even try to get work done it's to damb cold. So I drive the family crazy by just being with them. They say "don't you have anything to do in the garage" my reply is "it's to cold" lol !. Hell , I've been working on my build for over six years , it's not a race. If you're not enjoying it , take a break and enjoy your family or drive them crazy !.

Feel your pain as well, the last 2 months I have been lucky to get 3 hours of shop time a week. It seems like 1/2 of that is spent adding to my to-do list and or deciding on what to do next.
      I sold my race car a couple of months ago and though that the extra space and lack of distraction would be a bonus, still waiting. :-)
      A upside is I have had some parts arrive like a Aeromotive Stealth 2 fuel tank.

I spent some time in the garage this week. I’d say I finalized the rear Anti-Roll Bar but really I just pulled the trigger (pun intended) and welded it in.

This is the TCI Mustang sway bar. I had plans to mount it differently, but space and people smarter than me stopped that. Then I realized it was the exact same width as my inside frame rails. I convinced my friend over at Agana Metal Products put it in his bender and make it a bit narrower. I also cut off ⅝” and retapped the end of the bar. It’s not ideal but if it’s not stiff enough I’ll make up for it with the rear springs.

Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Looks awesome and it seems like it's coming together well! Wanna come install my front sway bar for me?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com