Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Project Bike Truck View Post

I figured I would get a little personal today. It’s my daughter Daphne Elisabeth’s birthday today. We have survived one year.

I have set a lot of goals on my project and they all get trumped by this little red head.

It's been over a year since I've actually done any work on my Falcon, but in the past year a lot has changed. I've got a 4 month old ginger boy that takes up all the time now that our house re-model is mostly done, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by neongreen View Post
      It's been over a year since I've actually done any work on my Falcon, but in the past year a lot has changed. I've got a 4 month old ginger boy that takes up all the time now that our house re-model is mostly done, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
      It’s quite crazy and cool how it happens. Congrats on your success and I can’t wait till you get back on the build. I’m waiting for more updates.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here
      check out Opentracker Racing Products

She's a cutie, your daughter not the van. I must say that is a good looking van.

I dig the new wheels on the van!
      64 Mercury Comet
      408w boosted
      More boost on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted Falcon View Post
      She's a cutie, your daughter not the van. I must say that is a good looking van.
      Thanks, she's a cute one and it's a weird journey to go from 40 years with no kid and bam! take care of this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by injcted View Post
      I dig the new wheels on the van!
      They fit like Ford intended to put them on there.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Quote Originally Posted by Project Bike Truck View Post
      Attachment 156891

I figured I would get a little personal today. It’s my daughter Daphne Elisabeth’s birthday today. We have survived one year.

I have set a lot of goals on my project and they all get trumped by this little red head.

I was trying to make it to my company car show as a roller and it’s not even going to happen. Not trying to rush the car. Time is going fast enough as it is. Attachment 156892

And another project I have been working on is my #dadvan. It’s an EcoBoost 1.6l. I have installed some lowering springs from across the pond and ST 18’s on Falken Azenis. It’s quite a awesome little van.
      Attachment 156893Attachment 156894
      My friend Steve has one of those. His is lowered on 19x8.5's. It's his rolling stereo competition vehicle.
      I got to hear it this past weekend at a show at my friend's shop in New York and it was amazing. His cars always sound great,
      and I heard this one with an older install last year and this is levels above that.

Name:  SteveTransit.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  20.1 KB

Name:  Transitinside.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  21.3 KB

I am amazed at how these look with a drop and some wheels.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      My friend Steve has one of those. His is lowered on 19x8.5's. It's his rolling stereo competition vehicle.
      I got to hear it this past weekend at a show at my friend's shop in New York and it was amazing. His cars always sound great,
      and I heard this one with an older install last year and this is levels above that.

Name:  SteveTransit.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  20.1 KB

Name:  Transitinside.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  21.3 KB

I am amazed at how these look with a drop and some wheels.

Jay
      I had that van as my background on my computer for quite a while, it was my motivation.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Diggin the van! I have a sweet spot for a slammed Astro.
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Quote Originally Posted by Z06killinSBF View Post
      Diggin the van! I have a sweet spot for a slammed Astro.
      As a teenager, there was a couple air bagged ones in San Diego, one built engine with Nitrous. I have always been a van and wagon guy and this fits me perfectly. it rides decent and is way comfortable.

Thanks for all the comments
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Sometimes things don’t go as planned. I missed some math in two different places making my rear shock design off by a lot.

Back to the drawing board. I was up at 2 am the following morning solving the issue in my head instead of sleeping. It will be different and better. And to be honest I wasn’t really stoked on what I did anyhow. Name:  IMG_1686.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  170.6 KB

I have a pile of scrap and IMHO decently welded shock mounts if you need.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Its ok, better now that all welded on.
      64 Mercury Comet
      408w boosted
      More boost on the way!

Thanks, that’s the truth for sure.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

So that pile of shock mounts shown above, well I am solving my way around my screw up and looking to figure out how much space people have between their rear coilovers and components? Unless I go full trophy truck mode and mount them on my lower links I am tight on space between the Axle housing and the Watts link bars.

2nd Question is Anyone Going to SEMA? And going to the dinner Thursday night that this forum is putting on?
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Progress report.

I have been struggling to find the time and motivation to work in the garage lately. I got the torque arm mocked up and welded. If you remember this is a GM TA that I adapted to my application. So I took the 9” style mount and chopped it up to fit my 8.8. I broke my own rule because I have felt rushed (my own fault) and I didn't test fit before final welding. Bit me in the ass, had to cut it apart and remake the center rib.

It's not as clean as I wanted and I can see the issues I have with it, that no one will ever see or complain about. Life of a fabricator!

No better thing to do than ask a bunch of strangers their opinion.

I am insane and having a moment. Something came over me at 1 am, when I should have been sleeping, and now I'm thinking of changing my power plant options. I started doing some rough math trying to weigh the pro’s and con’s, cost/power/time wise. For many reasons, I'm wanting to go to a late model 2.3L EcoBoost and ditch my old school Lima 2.3L. I would like to get to the 3-400hp range. And building the Lima to those specs, I would have that engine pretty stressed.

Currently, I have a mock-up engine, Mega Squirt 2 ECU($1,000), gutted, ported and rotated intake manifold ($330), crank trigger wheel ($285) and distributer delete, upper engine mounts ($300), Tial wastegate and blow off valve ($300) , and a T-5 transmission newly rebuilt 4 years ago sitting on my floor since forever ($400). That's roughly $2,600 in parts.

Future plans would be Bo-Port fully built head and cam set up ($1900), forged rods and pistons ($1,100 or so), machine work ($$$$), oil pan($600), custom turbo manifold to clear shock towers ($800), clutch ($500), flywheel ($$$$), starter ($$$$), and injectors with fuel rail (????). Then, even then, you have all the belt tensioners and gadgets that go on the front of the engine, and I have to get it tuned. That’s over $5k in additional parts. So at least $8k at the end of the day for a high-strung motor at 3-400hp.

Instead, I’m looking at a junkyard 2.3L EcoBoost engine ($2,500), 6-speed manual ($2,000), ECU and Harness ($1,600), and E85 options ($1,400). Roughly $7,500 for a happy 3-400hp motor and a whole additional gear as a bonus. And it’s a cool modern motor with lots of aftermarket support and numerous OEM applications, so getting parts should be a snap.

No, I will NOT do an LS swap. I grew up in a world of dual cams and turbos. I have been building imports since the early 90’s and as much as I love the sound of a V8 and the low-end torque, the sound of a turbo 4 is pleasing to me. Plus I really want to be unique. I can easily go get a 5.0 swap, bolt it in, and go (I have thought of doing this many times). But, to do something different and challenging is pretty cool to me.

I know there is a lot more to the swap then the basic stuff I have rattled off here. I'll have to redo all the mounts and the steering and blah blah blah, but would it be worth it?

So everyone please chime in and tell me I'm crazy.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Ecotec swap it! (Half an LS to replace Half a Ford motor? lol) THAT would be unique. (I have to say, the Ecoboost 2.3L would be pretty cool.)

There's many reasons to do a modern engine swap. The engineering inside is the biggest area of improvement. I have a 347 in one of my hot rods and a 2v 4.6 in one. The 4.6 isn't powerful in stock form but it's smoothness and durability are very good. Before I would spend lots of effort on the old one, I would pursue any real modern option. IMHO.

The bracket and stuff looks great; at this point, I'd fear the integrity of the torque arm more than the bracketry. For comparison's sake, I'd check out what Mike Maier (and Craig510) has done with the Maximum Motorsports torque arm on the 8.8 and 9-inch; it's a pretty sturdy and simple setup that many have beaten the snot out of on road and autocross courses (without breakage, I think).

As for that old-school 2.3 (had one in the 1977 Capri POS I took my original drive test in way back when, hated it), you're looking at spending an awful lot for a very heavy engine whose major benefit seems to be fewer moving parts than a 5.0. You could easily sell the components you have on eBay, then move onto something more modern and lighter and more (easily) powerful. While your stance on the LS is clear, think of how easy it is to get 400 horsepower out of one for a similar weight penalty and far less cost (and headaches). I love the LS in my Falcon . . .

From what I've seen, the Ecoboost V6s can be had pretty cheaply, especially if you get one from a truck (much like the truck-sourced Coyote engines, which can be had for $2000.00--another easy and relatively cheap 400 horsepower). The CHP wrecks Exploders all the time, so whole cars can be had for sub-two grand (probably non-turbo, but still 300+ horsepower). On the 300-horse note, I did put a 1997 Exploder 5.0 (distributorless!) in a 1963 Ranchero a couple summers ago, and it worked great, injection and all.

There's always the 2JZ, which can still be had relatively cheaply, and they love boost. On that note, I have to admit that when I first got my Falcon in 2010, I wanted something like the Honda S2000 engine or an SR20 (even considered a 350 Chevy, but wasn't welding at the time), but for the cost (and weight in the Nissan's case), the 5.0 won out. After two of those (sold them--they didn't blow up), it was LS time. I'll shut up now to avoid blathering on about the LS . . .

Use what gets you there, then recalibrate after user experience tells you to do the next thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      Ecotec swap it! (Half an LS to replace Half a Ford motor? lol) THAT would be unique. (I have to say, the Ecoboost 2.3L would be pretty cool.)
      Cool factor has a stake in the choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wfo guy View Post
      There's many reasons to do a modern engine swap. The engineering inside is the biggest area of improvement. I have a 347 in one of my hot rods and a 2v 4.6 in one. The 4.6 isn't powerful in stock form but it's smoothness and durability are very good. Before I would spend lots of effort on the old one, I would pursue any real modern option. IMHO.
      Dependability and reliability are big reasons to go that route. Along with the cool factor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
      The bracket and stuff looks great; at this point, I'd fear the integrity of the torque arm more than the bracketry. For comparison's sake, I'd check out what Mike Maier (and Craig510) has done with the Maximum Motorsports torque arm on the 8.8 and 9-inch; it's a pretty sturdy and simple setup that many have beaten the snot out of on road and autocross courses (without breakage, I think).

As for that old-school 2.3 (had one in the 1977 Capri POS I took my original drive test in way back when, hated it), you're looking at spending an awful lot for a very heavy engine whose major benefit seems to be fewer moving parts than a 5.0. You could easily sell the components you have on eBay, then move onto something more modern and lighter and more (easily) powerful. While your stance on the LS is clear, think of how easy it is to get 400 horsepower out of one for a similar weight penalty and far less cost (and headaches). I love the LS in my Falcon . . .

From what I've seen, the Ecoboost V6s can be had pretty cheaply, especially if you get one from a truck (much like the truck-sourced Coyote engines, which can be had for $2000.00--another easy and relatively cheap 400 horsepower). The CHP wrecks Exploders all the time, so whole cars can be had for sub-two grand (probably non-turbo, but still 300+ horsepower). On the 300-horse note, I did put a 1997 Exploder 5.0 (distributorless!) in a 1963 Ranchero a couple summers ago, and it worked great, injection and all.

There's always the 2JZ, which can still be had relatively cheaply, and they love boost. On that note, I have to admit that when I first got my Falcon in 2010, I wanted something like the Honda S2000 engine or an SR20 (even considered a 350 Chevy, but wasn't welding at the time), but for the cost (and weight in the Nissan's case), the 5.0 won out. After two of those (sold them--they didn't blow up), it was LS time. I'll shut up now to avoid blathering on about the LS . . .

Use what gets you there, then recalibrate after user experience tells you to do the next thing.
      Thanks I know all the merits of a LS, just does not sit well with me. I could easily make that happen as well as the 5.0. Maybe I like the challenge or maybe I do ever want my car to be finished?
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

FYI If you decide to go the 3.5EB route you will want a 2015 F150 engine or the Ford Create engine according to Ford Racing to use the Ford Control Pack. I have a 2016 Excursion engine with a 2015 engine harness. The engine harness installs on the engine with out issue, it will be a while (I hope late spring)before I am to a point for first start. It looks like I am good shape but I guess I really won't know until I get it running.

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted Falcon View Post
      FYI If you decide to go the 3.5EB route you will want a 2015 F150 engine or the Ford Create engine according to Ford Racing to use the Ford Control Pack. I have a 2016 Excursion engine with a 2015 engine harness. The engine harness installs on the engine with out issue, it will be a while (I hope late spring)before I am to a point for first start. It looks like I am good shape but I guess I really won't know until I get it running.
      That would be the best route to go in sense of power. But I have a lot invested in the front suspension and it’s all still using the shock towers. I’d hate to have to try and sell that and treat over.

That being said I love your build.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com