Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

5 Speed OD opinion. TKO 600 vs Richmond Super Street

Want to put a OD trans in my 70 SS Chevelle. Would like a Legend LGT but the two year wait to me is unacceptable. Would snag a used on if available. So I am looking at the TKO 600 or Richmond Super Street. Obviously the TKO 600 is well known and broadly discussed but the Richmond seems hard to find anything out about, not much info or reviews out there.

I run a 3.31 gear with 295/40/18 tires (27.29")

The 3.31 does not do what i want on either end of the spectrum, little sluggish on the get go and borderline for highway. Looks like a TKO 600 with the .82 OD and my 3.31 would be a nice combo.

I realize I will have to cut the floor, but am willing to do so to get the car the way i really want it.

Transmission is the last piece of the puzzle to have her damn near perfect to me .

Thank you for any input.

Pat

I picked up a Doug Nash five speed in the 80's and used in a a couple of Vettes. Not an overdrive but my understanding is it's otherwise similar to the current Richmond OD units. I've had TKO 600s in three first gen Camaros.

Subjectively I'd say the Tremec shifts nicer for everyday use but for any sort of competitive driving I thought the DN was easier to grab the intended gear.

I'm not sure which one is really stronger. I was running about 425FWHP through the DN and up to about a hundred more though the Tremecs.

I have a TKO600 in my Chevelle, with the .64 overdrive. I have 3.55 gears and a 27” tall rear tire. 1-4 are perfect for zipping around town. 5th is pretty much unusable until highway speed(55+), then it works great. I’m very happy with this combo. With your taller tire you could run a lower gear, maybe 3.73. Check out this gear ratio calculator it’ll help you decide http://www.tremec.com/calculadora.php

Quote Originally Posted by 65 drop top View Post
      I have a TKO600 in my Chevelle, with the .64 overdrive. I have 3.55 gears and a 27” tall rear tire. 1-4 are perfect for zipping around town. 5th is pretty much unusable until highway speed(55+), then it works great. I’m very happy with this combo. With your taller tire you could run a lower gear, maybe 3.73. Check out this gear ratio calculator it’ll help you decide http://www.tremec.com/calculadora.php
      On another forum quite a few suggested that with my 3.31 that the .82 OD would work well? I am trying to avoid a gear change if possible. But if I need to switch i will and it seems as the 3.73 would be a great choice.

I was playing around with that calculator a bit and with the 3.31 the .64 puts me too low at highway speed, pretty much as you experienced. Only around 1900 at 75, i would like a little more than that

I spoke with a vendor today and they strongly suggest with my gearing and tire size I go with the TKO 500. Said should be perfect. Great acceleration with the lower first gear that the 600 and a nice cruising OD gear.

I have 3.50 rear and the TKO 600 .82. I wanted a smooth transition from 4th to 5th,not a big drop like the .64 would be. I guess that's why the .82 is sometimes referred to as the
      "Road Race" version. I'm rarely on the freeway for more than 5 miles anyway, so I hardly ever get into 5th as it is.

If you don't need the extra toque handling capacity of the 600, the 500 might be a better choice with those 3.31 as 72RS mentioned above, since it has a better 1st gear for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post

If you don't need the extra toque handling capacity of the 600, the 500 might be a better choice with those 3.31 as 72RS mentioned above, since it has a better 1st gear for you.
      The vendor told me from a strength standpoint they are virtually the same, not sure if that is fact but what he told me. He said soon they are getting rid of the 500/600 numbers and just calling them wide ratio/ close ratio.

On the chassis dyno two weeks ago my car is showing around 489 TQ to the rear wheels.

When I was deciding on which trans to get I targeted an engine speed of 2000-2200 at 70-75 mph. I don’t mind the big rpm drop with the .64, since I only use 5th for freeway driving.

With your 3.31 gears, 27.29” tall tires and .82 OD you’d be at roughly 2000 rpm at 60 mph. Just my opinion here, but that’s not enough OD if you drive at highway speeds very often. How about the .68? Would be less of a drop into 5th, but would give you roughly an extra 12 mph at 2000 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by 65 drop top View Post
      When I was deciding on which trans to get I targeted an engine speed of 2000-2200 at 70-75 mph. I don’t mind the big rpm drop with the .64, since I only use 5th for freeway driving.

With your 3.31 gears, 27.29” tall tires and .82 OD you’d be at roughly 2000 rpm at 60 mph. Just my opinion here, but that’s not enough OD if you drive at highway speeds very often. How about the .68? Would be less of a drop into 5th, but would give you roughly an extra 12 mph at 2000 rpm.
      With the TKO 500 and the .68 I would be at 72 MPH at 2,000 RPM and still have more acceleration from the get go due to the 3.27 1st gear.

Quote Originally Posted by 72RS View Post
      With the TKO 500 and the .68 I would be at 72 MPH at 2,000 RPM and still have more acceleration from the get go due to the 3.27 1st gear.
      That MPH and RPM is what I tend to shoot for in a street car. My Cougar turns about 2100 rpm at 75 mph with a 27" tire, 4.33 gears, and .50 overdrive.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      That MPH and RPM is what I tend to shoot for in a street car. My Cougar turns about 2100 rpm at 75 mph with a 27" tire, 4.33 gears, and .50 overdrive.

Andrew
      Sounds like the 500 may be a good fit.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com