Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 4L60 or 700R4

Country Flag: United States

4L60 or 700R4

I have a 95 S10 Blazer 2 wd. Is this a 1 year only transmission or just renumbered 700R4? What years will interchange with it. Can it be rewired to work without a controller? Can it be built to handle 5/6 hundred horse power for a relative inexpensive price? The car is NOT raced, but a short burnout once in a great while. It was rebuilt about 70,000 miles ago, should I just try to sell it or rebuild . Right now I have a TKO600, but my leg is starting to give me some trouble. !966 Lemans conv. is what I will use it in when I get to the point I can"t handle the clutch. I'm just lookin' for info right now. Thanks in advance.

A 4L60 is just a 700R4, with different nomenclature. The 4L60E didn't arrive until 1993. 700's can be built to handle a lot more power but it won't be inexpensive. I've run modified 700's behind 500hp big blocks w/o any problems but would probably look at using a 4L80E behind something with over 600hp. Those are a lot stronger transmissions but obviously cost substantially more.

Country Flag: United States
      More accurately, the 700r is not computer controlled, while the 4L60e, while being the same basic transmission, IS computer controlled. If the transmission has a cable going to the throttle linkage, it is a 700r. If the transmission has a large, multi-pin wire connection and no cable to the throttle body, then it is a 4L60e.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com