Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: Belgium

Project 70 cougar ( Bullit )

Hi all ,

Starting this thread to share the build and updates of my cougar. ( project named Bullit )
      Most of the idea's are worked out already in my mind, just getting it done in real life now.

Going for a fast engine, not sure about automatic or manual ( leaning more to the manual),
      Coilover suspension in the back ,decent brakes ( wilwood ), racing seats and some custom stuff in the interior ( dashboard and center console) ,
      Making it more modern with some 'gadgets'.
      Headlights will be electrical (no more vacuum system).
      Maybe go for a fuel cap as seen on a charger ( in that style)....
      Backseat might be removed to create a sort of mustang fastback style interior in the back ( make something to put away a fire extinguisher and spare tire maybe....)
      Paint is most likely going to be a wrap ( leaning towards dark carbon wrap)
      Black rims and most of the chrome is going to be black to ( want it to look really 'dark')

And plenty other things....just to give you all an idea about whats going to happen.

Below a some pictures of the car at this moment.
      Front has already been rebuild for the most part.

While rebuilding the front

So my intention was to just fix the front, clean it up and then place the original engine back into it.
      But once the front was all cleaned up and the suspension was under there i was like, this is way to nice compared to the rear and rest of the floor ....
      So i thought, might just do it all the right way now and thats when my project became a pro-touring project....

So what you see above has been done over the last few weeks.

over the last days i removed the transmission and rear axle and started cleaning up the whole floor and chassis ( still doing the cleanup => pain in the ass job).

The rusted parts in the front ( steering box etc are getting replaced)
      just waiting for the new ones to arrive.

Untill the next update !!

Greets!

Country Flag: United States
      Nice to see another Cougar getting some love.

Looking forward to updates.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

At least you are just cleaning the floors and not replacing them! I had to replace pieces and clean, blah, sucks just like you said!! Looks like a great start for a project.

Quote Originally Posted by RMMiller View Post
      At least you are just cleaning the floors and not replacing them! I had to replace pieces and clean, blah, sucks just like you said!! Looks like a great start for a project.
      This car is amazing,besides a few minor spots or rust (surface rust) there is no work on the platework.
      No welding or whatever has been done on this car, all i see when cleaning the floors is a floor in a very good condition.

Only thing i have welded were reinforcement plates in the shocktowers as a precaution for the heavy stress its going to go through.

My 71 Thunderbird

Name:  IMG_20170620_112717.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  277.6 KB
      This is my daily driver . I have a Big Block Ford . The other day I left a new corvette (2017) at two lights . Get a 460 , and yes , there is aluminum blocks that are liter then a new ls (after you bore and stroke them) . Math is math , you need air and fuel at a certain amount to have a certain hp . If want a little more power of a mild modified street 460 , then get a full race prepped lsx with twin turbos .
      Last edited by Bird of Prey; 04-19-2018 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling
      800 Amp Time Attack Thunderbird

Love the Cougars, and @BirdofPrey that's an awesome T Bird as well.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

After allot of work on cleaning up the floor untill it was all bare metal,
      i finally got it done and put a nice new layer on it!

The engine bay is semigloss black and the rest of the floor has been done with some sort of antigravel coating (fine coating though).
      Pictures are not the best ,looks really neat in real life!
      Happy with the result.

Now i am just waiting for some parts to arrive so i can install the new suspension in the rear and put it back together,

Currently pulled the axles and gears out, waiting for new parts for that aswell,
      Will use the original 9inch axle housing ,so will give that some cleaning and paintjob this week.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Some parts look a bit lighter then others but thats just the picture with the lights around it

This is going to be one sweet Cougar, my Fiancee wants a 69. We're looking for a base car to swap a 5.0 Coyote and an MT-82 into.

Interesting, look forward to your updates.

Not so many things to share,
      Been working on the inside ,cleaning everything up and started working on the wiring.
      Also have been building a custom plate to place over the rear lights ( dark see through plate ) which will give it a more modern look.

Also decided to close of the side lights on the fenders and in the back also to give it more smooth look.
      Pictures one of these days....

latest update see this :

Complete rearend from moser, Truetrac 3.70 gears , 31 spline axles and wilwood disc brake kit.

Company that provides my shipping and import to my country forgot my rear suspension...
      so that is still in the States , and aslong as i dont have that i cannot install the rearend....this will take another 5 weeks now...pretty annoyed by it
      but i got plenty of other things to do so i will focus on that.

Normally over the coming weeks all parts should be coming in and regular updates will follow.

Cheers !

Small stuff over the past weeks
      Made a template for the plate i am going to place over the lights in the back.

In the middle a black mustang fuel cap from scott drake will be placed.

Removed the drip rail today,still need to work on it for a smooth transition,but i already love the look on the car without them!
      (i know, what if it rains.....extra safety not to drive the car in bad weather and make sure it makes another 50 year! )
      Also been messing around with a tire to see what size i would like , this one is to big but gives me a general idea (probably go for an 18 inch ,rest of sizing still not sure)

Also have been cleaning up the inside as you can see in this picture.

Finally received my door handles, will try to install them this week but more likely next..
      these come from a fiat barchetta from the 90's.
      Cheap but almost looks like hidden door handles ,except from the push button.
      This is going to create a very smooth look.
      (combine this with the removed drip rails and closed of sidelights, hell yeah!!)

[/IMG]

Greets!

Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Prey View Post
      Name:  IMG_20170620_112717.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  277.6 KB
      This is my daily driver . I have a Big Block Ford . The other day I left a new corvette (2017) at two lights . Get a 460 , and yes , there is aluminum blocks that are liter then a new ls (after you bore and stroke them) . Math is math , you need air and fuel at a certain amount to have a certain hp . If want a little more power of a mild modified street 460 , then get a full race prepped lsx with twin turbos .
      But do you get 20mpg with the 460? lol

Jay

Been working allot on the inside of the car, cleaning the floor, painting the brake pedal etc...
      Then also allot of work on the body, fixing some little dents which is still a work in progress.

Last thing i have done lately is installing my new door handles,
      Made a bracket for them,welded them in place from the inside, then started finishing it up from the outside.
      Took a long time making it clean as it is now,
      All i need to do now is give the door knob and handle a nice color but that's a finishing touch.

Next up, connect the door mechanism to the door handle.
      (not to difficult)

As soon as i get my parts here i can show some more progress....
      New coilover suspension was lost during transport ....they finally recovered it so should be here any week now.
      rest of parts is also a pile of ****....been waiting almost 3 months now, unbelievable!!

Looking forward to more updates! Good luck with the parts

Very long time since i posted stuff about my car, did some work over the last months, not as much as i wanted but that's life .
      Scraped the floor under the car to bare metal and put a new coating on it.
      Installed a new electrical heater system under the dash.
      Finished my rearend install and disc brakes.
      Almost finished the cover i made for the rearlights,
      Installed my fuel pump and lines almost completely.
      Finishing up on the new wiring.
      Installed an electric headlight kit to open the covers and allot of other small details.

Pictures will follow in my next posts.

Greets!

Floor during cleaning and after

Rear axle and brakes.
      Moser 9inch with new truetrac diff,3.70 gear ratio and 31spline axles

Still need to install the anti roll bar in the back, but will do that later.

Quick peek at the layout and style of the plate i made to cover the lights to give it a 'cooler and darker' look. (dark see trough plate).
      Need so finish some small details and then its done.
      Tested a few lights yesterday and it looks good!
      Mustang fuel cap for styling in the middle and offcourse to fill it up...

Pictures working now...

Good progress! That underside work is a thankless job but it’s great to start from a clean baseline.
      What are thinking in terms of power train ideas?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com