Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Rick's tanks

Country Flag: United States

Rick's tanks

Just ordered a restomod system for my car. Hector took a lot of time to make me feel good about what I am buying and threw in free shipping and a t-shirt.

Can't wait to get it and put it in the car!!

just did the same for my Camaro. Works great

I have their stainless tank, its a great piece and matched well with vaporworks pick-ups. Rick's is the "go-to" for tanks, I don't even suggest anyone waste time with Tanks Inc...Spectre etc. Go right to Ricks Hot Rod
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Country Flag: Canada
      I'm sure that Rick's tanks is a nice setup but to state not to 'waste' your time with the others really isn't a fair statement
      I've used Tanks-inc setups on 3 vehicles and they have worked perfectly

Cheers
      Steve
      Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

Quote Originally Posted by sheck44 View Post
      I'm sure that Rick's tanks is a nice setup but to state not to 'waste' your time with the others really isn't a fair statement
      I've used Tanks-inc setups on 3 vehicles and they have worked perfectly

Cheers
      Steve
      This is 100% true. I have used both in the same car within the last week and they both have their pluses and minuses.
      If you want to drop the money on a Rick's Tank and then several hundred more on a ZL1 pump and the pwm module to run it right (or buy the pieces to temporarily run it at fixed pressure) and want to use nylon fuel line then that is a good way to go and yeah, the corner pickups are fantastic. To get the completely ideal package though you need to add a bunch to the cost of the tank but you can save money on the lines and fittings (I used nylon line and one Aeromotive fitting on the rail to allow for a fuel pressure sensor port).
      If however you want to use the fantastic Aeromotive stuff then Tanks Inc is good too; you could use a Holley hydromat or whatever it is called and likely get the same results as the corner pickups. The Tanks Inc tank itself is more sturdy feeling, fit between my frame rails a bit better and the coating is much better than that on the Rick's tank. The total package is a bit cheaper but you have several more fittings to buy. It's definitely the way I'd go if running a setup that required a return line to the tank.
      Either way they are both good options and worlds ahead of Spectre (which I have used as well).
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

I just converted from carburetor to EFI. Went with all Tanks, Inc. products (tank, sending unit, Walbro pump) Works fantastic in my opinion. My tank is a stock galvanized one that was powder coated.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I have no experience with Tanks, Inc. My decision was based on the integration of the vaporworks system. Asking around on this forum, other websites, and friends I have not been able to find many positive accounts of the other products for track and auto-x use. My current system (factory tank and pick-up with an external walbro) works fine for cruising, but hard cornering with less than 2/3 fuel load causes issues. I have also been having issues with fuel supply (maybe vapor lock) after getting off of the highway from a medium (>1 hour) stint.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      I just converted from carburetor to EFI. Went with all Tanks, Inc. products (tank, sending unit, Walbro pump) Works fantastic in my opinion. My tank is a stock galvanized one that was powder coated.
      I also went with a Tanks Inc setup in my '71 Camaro and couldn't be happier. They even notified me of the availability of a blem when I was ordering (minor dent/scratch on the side that's not visible once installed, but who freakin' cares when you get a $50 discount because of it! lol....)

Been on the car now for a couple of years and it works great.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Tank showed up about a month ago. It took about 3 hours to get the old one out and new one in. The only things not included were the 2" hose and clamps to connect the fill neck and new hardware for the tank straps. No problem to reuse the old hardware and buy the hose.

Sadly, the battery was dead when I went to try it out :( On the charger now and I will post impressions after I get a drive this week.

I have some miles on the car now including commuting in 90°F weather. So far so good. The only issue I am seeing is it takes about three minutes for the engine to be able to get as much fuel as it needs to go more than 10% throttle. I am not sure if this is related or not.

I'll post again when the tank gets low and I take it around a cloverleaf.

Hmm, not sure if that is a tank/pump issue. Check your tune to be sure your cold enrichment/timing is adequate. That should clear up your cold running issues.

I did find a related timing issue that I am still working out. Thanks for the tip.

Also, I did the cloverleaf with 1/4 tank. This tank/pump seems to have solved all of my issues.

Considering using the Aeromotive Gen II Stealth Fuel Tank 18497 in my 1970 Mustang restomod. I will be using it with a 2nd Gen Coyote and converting to a return type fuel system. Any experience here with the Aeromotive Stealth tanks? Their price looks competitive, but it is only a bargain if they work.

Thanks,

Alan

I used the Aeromotive Stealth but had real issues with slosh & fuel starvation. No issues with the pump itself, just the way it is integrated into the poorly baffled tank.

Rick's is awesome! We used one of their Resto-Mod tanks for a '64 Chevelle build with an LS3.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      -Mike

Anyone have a Rick's restomod tank for a 67 Camaro laying around they want to get rid of? I called them and there out of stock until after the first of the year.

We (vaporworx) have a kit for the Coyote that makes the fuel system manifold referenced and fully returnless. The stock Ford system is also returnless. A ZL1, CTS-V, or the OEM Coyote fuel pump can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss5Oh View Post
      Considering using the Aeromotive Gen II Stealth Fuel Tank 18497 in my 1970 Mustang restomod. I will be using it with a 2nd Gen Coyote and converting to a return type fuel system. Any experience here with the Aeromotive Stealth tanks? Their price looks competitive, but it is only a bargain if they work.

Thanks,

Alan
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com