Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: Canada
      All of those welds are visually not appealing. There seems to be absolutely nothing visually wrong as far as weld quality. Before spending any money for new pipes . Find a qualified competent welder and see what they could do . From what I see an afternoon with a grinder will make all the difference. Blend the stop and starts , high spots etc . If you're concerned regarding weld integrity then go buy some liquid dye penetrate, meant for non destructive weld testing . Good luck and keep us updated

Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Country Flag: United States
      The ratchet strap from one end of the main hoop tube,to the other.ie driver side to passenger side,because I will bow out if you dont,but I see you cut it already.
      I would get my $$ back and buy a welder and do it myself.
      You should grind out all those welds and reweld it all.
      Do you not have a place to do this at,or are you feeling you can't do it?
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      72 chevelle.

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      This is what it looks like now...
      Some of those welds look fine...some not so fine.
      Before you cleaned it up you should have inspected how well it penetrated.
      Not covering for the guys work,but maybe he had a little trouble because of the big gaps you had,he should have stitch welded those plate,if he had trouble with the gaps.
      72 chevelle.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelletiger View Post
      Some of those welds look fine...some not so fine.
      Before you cleaned it up you should have inspected how well it penetrated.
      Not covering for the guys work,but maybe he had a little trouble because of the big gaps you had,he should have stitch welded those plate,if he had trouble with the gaps.
      When we were talking about the project on site, we discussed filler plates to fill the large gaps and he said no problem...That azz. He was just being lazy. I just don't have the skill to weld. Here we are talking about correct temps and penetration and suggesting my unexperienced self doing the welding doesn't make sense. I would try to weld simple stuff, but something like safely equipment or suspension and I don't have the confidence.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by chevelletiger View Post
      The ratchet strap from one end of the main hoop tube,to the other.ie driver side to passenger side,because I will bow out if you dont,but I see you cut it already.
      I would get my $$ back and buy a welder and do it myself.
      You should grind out all those welds and reweld it all.
      Do you not have a place to do this at,or are you feeling you can't do it?
      You're assuming he will get his money back and that he will pick up the skill of welding like nobodies business. If the OP had the ability and means to weld it himself I'm sure he would have . Not to mention 1 out of a hundred rookie welders could do that job and do it better . I.e 6g welding isnt the easiest to do yet do it and make it look amazing I'm a red seal certified fabricator I do know firsthand
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Ryan,I think he could do it himself with a mig and stitch weld it.and make nice strong welds,sometimes people don't build up the courage to try it on there own.
      Not taking bad about the op,just stating I think if he tried he probably could get better results doing it,then paying that dude his hard earned money.at least if I looked like that he would know he did it and didn't pay some Yahoo.
      It's like doing concrete,some people are SO SCARED TO EVEN try it but once you do it it's pretty easy..
      72 chevelle.

Not a roll bar,but heres a pic of a table I started repairing for a teachers pretty heavy belt sander 1.5 od. Tube .134 wall.
      No pulse,freehand.
      I will admit, I've made mig welds like that from bad liners,to being really tired,to having porosity from gas running out,to welding a part outside on a windy day.**** happens.but are still holding up in the former mfg. shop I worked at in tooling.
      Pretty sure I know about welding,aws,here in us,tig,mig stick.
      Mostly do stick and mig now.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      72 chevelle.

Op,No problem.

I thought I'd encourage you to try it yourself.
      I have faith in you.
      You have a mig?
      Try some of those scrap tubes,weld them to the same thickness metal mocked up in out of position weld like you would do a roll bar,weld them,then cut and etch them and see how you do.
      You might be surprised!
      Good luck.
      Hope the best for your project.
      72 chevelle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com