Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

external Slave T-56 magnum?

Do they make an external slave cylinder for T-56 magnum aluminum bell housings? This would be fitted to an LS3.

Paul Krol
      1968 Camaro

Country Flag: United States
      Instead of the hydraulic throwout bearing?
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Quote Originally Posted by paulk68 View Post
      Do they make an external slave cylinder for T-56 magnum aluminum bell housings? This would be fitted to an LS3.
      I've never seen that set up. The hardest thing to overcome is that since those transmissions and aluminum bellhousings weren't designed for an external slave/fork set up there isn't a spot for the ball stud. I would stick with the internal hydraulic release bearing and make your life much easier.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Thanks for the reply Craig, I will be reaching out to you guys soon for some parts. Here are a few pics of what I was talking about.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Paul Krol
      1968 Camaro

another pic
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Paul Krol
      1968 Camaro

Paul,

The question that is begging to be asked is "why?"

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Paul,

The question that is begging to be asked is "why?"

Andrew
      I guess it was just more of a maintenece thing in case of failure. Instead of having to pull the whole trans.

Paul Krol
      1968 Camaro

I guess it was just more of a maintenece thing in case of failure. Instead of having to pull the whole trans.
      Paul,

Hydraulic slave cylinders have been used in cars for decades. They are quite reliable. How long do you expect your clutch to last? I just replace the slave when I do a clutch. Don't over-complicate this. As noted, there is no place for a pivot ball and there is no bearing snout.

I would just use a good slave. I've had good luck with LUK brand. If this is going behind a LS engine, a slave from a 2002 Camaro will work nicely. There are many options for line attachments and remote bleeder lines.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks for the reply Craig, I will be reaching out to you guys soon for some parts. Here are a few pics of what I was talking about.
      Paul,
      Yes, there are options for what you want with the Quicktime bellhousings, but not the aluminum. Also the Ford version is set up for the pivot since that was a factory option in the Mustangs. The GM version of the T56 from the LS on never used a mechanical bearing which is why you don't see them very often.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Paul,

Hydraulic slave cylinders have been used in cars for decades. They are quite reliable. How long do you expect your clutch to last? I just replace the slave when I do a clutch. Don't over-complicate this. As noted, there is no place for a pivot ball and there is no bearing snout.

I would just use a good slave. I've had good luck with LUK brand. If this is going behind a LS engine, a slave from a 2002 Camaro will work nicely. There are many options for line attachments and remote bleeder lines.

Andrew
      Thanks Andrew I appreciate the advice, I just came across those pics and thought it was intersting.

Paul Krol
      1968 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Craig@Bowler View Post
      Paul,
      Yes, there are options for what you want with the Quicktime bellhousings, but not the aluminum. Also the Ford version is set up for the pivot since that was a factory option in the Mustangs. The GM version of the T56 from the LS on never used a mechanical bearing which is why you don't see them very often.

Thanks for the Info Craig.

Paul Krol
      1968 Camaro

I really like the external slave. If there is a problem with it, 2 bolts and a quick bleed and it's fixed - not so with the internal ones - what a pain (or big labor expense if you elect to let someone else fix it for you). Take a look at the Quicktime PB6023 BH for manual clutches. It is possible you could fabricate something that would work with an external slave. The 6023 has a pivot ball mounted in it for the clutch fork. I am using a QT 6023 with a Tremec Magnum behind a SBC in a '69 Camaro. I may be way off base, but I've not thought it through. Notwithstanding the substantial extra cost for the internal slave system, I had trouble with the internal slave in my Infiniti daily driver and swore them off unless I had no other choice and that's why I went with the 6023 in my Camaro.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com