Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1968 Camaro NEED HELP and direction, measurements do not add up

I need some guidance... I have a 1968 camaro that has been taken apart before when I was 13 just starting work for a body shop that has a good reason to be out of business. I was never happy with the welds, the body lines etc. 31 years later I ripped back into this car and noticed so many things wrong. I need to start from scratch and I am thinking a JIG is the best way to do it. I am replacing the lower cowl box, smooth firewall, both inner and outer rockers, quarter panels, outer wheel wells, ( Detroit speed inner wheel wells are in.. I might have to redo these ) and rear tail panel. OH and doors. All the parts are from Dynacorn except the panel above the trunk lid I went with AMD, much better quality and I like how it goes down into the package tray. MY ISSUE IS ALIGNMENT!!! The measurement on the left side from the middle hole of the upper fender nut to the rear quarter ( Inside panel at the top ) is 42 5/8s and on the right side its 42 7/8s. this is alarming to me even though there is room with the front fender to align. I am starting from scratch so what i was thinking was tearing this right down to just the shell since im replacing all the sheet metal and starting from scratch with alignment. I know the inner shell doesn't move but why would I have such a difference measuring from the inner shell unless the front cowl is off and needs to be pulled back.. that is my question. Any guidance or assurance this is what I should do please chime in. I have had this car since I was young and dumb at 13 and will eventually be my sons pro-touring car.... SO lets circle back...
      1. Should I have a jig
      2. Should I worry about this difference?
      3. Do you think its ok to strip it right down to the shell and start from scratch with the measurements and make a mirror image... Left to Right..
      4. Does anyone have any solid measurements of a car I can use... Door to quarter etc and firewall?
      5. Desperately in need of help from a bad ass camaro lover like myself
      6. The piece between the floor and the rocker in the rear ( inner rocker support ) I know someone that makes killer replacements ... I can share...)

Feel free to call if you want (914-474-0679_
      Shawn...

Cheers "metal heads"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com