Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 81 to 93 of 93
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    Posts
    604
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by frink84 View Post
    MM clutch cable should be a worthwhile upgrade. I would pay special attention to how its run when you install it. MM's instructions are pretty detailed, but in general keeping it away from heat and tight turns is the name of the game.
    As expected, Maximum Motorsport products always are better than whatever they replaced. I got the new cable in last night and it made a huge difference. The pedal actuation is much lighter and smoother than before. Only complaint I have is that the mounting bracket for the cable doesn't line up with the old one because of the difference in cable length. Not a major issue, I'll resolve it easily.

    Haven't driven the car yet, it is still up in the air for an oil change. Hope to have it back on the road tonight for a test drive.
    Nelson
    1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

    1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    Posts
    604
    Country Flag: United States
    Not much to report lately. I've just been driving the car as the weather allows. So far everything seems to be ok with the engine, no weird noises and it's running the best it ever has. I'm really hoping the stuff I found in the filter was just left over from break in. I'll get some more miles on it, then drain the oil and see what it says.

    I took advantage of LMRs 4th of July sale and got a few things like door rollers and a new turn signal switch. Provided the motor is ok, I'm going to work on doing a 3G alt upgrade and electric fans. I want to get the A/C working on the car, so the fans will be part of that.

    Just need this humidity to go away so I can stand to be in the garage again lol.
    Nelson
    1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

    1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    387
    Country Flag: United States
    Amen to that! Monsoon season sucks because of the humidity. I've been struggling to get much done because I just get too hot. Glad to hear that everything is working well right now.
    '95 F-150 track ready street beast
    Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Forney, TX
    Posts
    113
    Country Flag: United States
    When you do the 3g upgrade, i would make sure you use a quality wiring kit with big wires. I used the LMR 4-gauge kit with great success. I would also recommend the contour dual fan setup of the lincoln setup. contour gives you so much more room to work with under the hood.
    88 Ford Mustang - The Grey Ghost
    11 Subaru Outback
    18 GMC Canyon Diesel
    Instagram

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    Posts
    604
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
    Amen to that! Monsoon season sucks because of the humidity. I've been struggling to get much done because I just get too hot. Glad to hear that everything is working well right now.
    Definitely. I've got a swamp cooler that usually keeps the garage reasonable inside, but not right now lol. At least we have winter to look forwards to now!


    Quote Originally Posted by frink84 View Post
    When you do the 3g upgrade, i would make sure you use a quality wiring kit with big wires. I used the LMR 4-gauge kit with great success. I would also recommend the contour dual fan setup of the lincoln setup. contour gives you so much more room to work with under the hood.
    For sure on the wiring. I look forwards to getting as much of the old wiring out of the car as I can. All the old charge wires are going away and replaced with at least 4 gauge, new grounds too. Unfortunately for me, all the kits LMR makes are for 86+ cars with the battery on the driver side, so I'll have to make my own cables.

    I'll look into the contour fans, I had been planning to build my own shroud and controller, but that may be the more affordable path.
    Nelson
    1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

    1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    Posts
    604
    Country Flag: United States
    Been a while since I've posted an update. I was very busy with work this summer and did not pay much attention to the Rustang.

    Now that the weather has improved, I spent a little time working on it just doing routine maintenance. I also went up to SEMA and had a good time as usual. Came back, and that's where things came to a halt again.

    20191112_201631 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr


    Did an oil change on the car, and noticed sparkles in the oil again. Yanked the motor out and pulled the pan, found this:

    20191103_175857 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr


    Those are from cylinders number 4 and 8. Obviously number 8 was not happy at all. So one thing lead to another, and here's how my garage looks now:

    20191112_201639 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

    20191118_181428 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr

    20191118_181432 by Nelson Wallace, on Flickr


    The main bearings did not look too bad aside from number 5, and it was not very bad. All the rods looked ok except for number 8 and 5 showed a little wear as well. The crank has a groove in it on number 8 journal, looks good otherwise. So hopefully I can just have a little machine work done and be able to put it back together fairly quickly. I was mad at first, but then I realized I treat the car pretty harshly compared to my daily driver, and I got over it lol. Only thing I tell myself is it will be better when I'm done with it.

    I've also guy my eye on a DOHC 4.6 Modular that I am hoping to grab and eventually swap into the car. For now the Coyotes are just too far out of my price range, and the 4.6 is an easy swap since so many parts interchange between Foxbodys and SN95s. So I would like to spend a year or two building the 4.6 into a Terminator clone and have some real power on my hands. Or i'll change my mind again and go for a nice NA DOHC build. So many options!
    Nelson
    1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

    1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    387
    Country Flag: United States
    That's a bummer about the engine, but it sounds like you've made your peace with it.

    Don't forget that the coyote truck motors are nearly identical to the Mustang version for less. They just have slightly less compression and different intake cams. By the time you start modifying a 4.6 you might be surprised at the minimal difference in cost if there is any.

    Either way I hope you get the car back in action soon.
    '95 F-150 track ready street beast
    Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    Posts
    604
    Country Flag: United States
    Yeah, I got angry at first. Then realized I was being dumb and to not worry about it and I felt better haha.

    I've been eyeing the Coyotes for a while, almost pulled the trigger a couple times. As you stated, the differences are minimal for the truck engines so I have not been picky about what they came from. My main problem has been that I don't have the funds ready to buy one immediately, so even when a good deal has popped up it goes away before I can get to it. Or as I've found out is more common, the junkyards will post a good price, but that is just for the longblock, no accessories, intake, computer, etc... Really annoying to find what looks like good deal only to find it is missing $2K plus in other parts I need for it to run. I've also never managed to find a u pull it lot of any kind with a Coyote in it, probably because they know what they are worth. This has made me realize how cheap LS swaps truly are, and I've almost opted for that route a couple times.

    I've got a line on a 4.6 for $200 that has a Teksid block that is good for 1,200 hp. Just need a good rotating assembly, a head swap, boost, and I'll have a Terminator clone. Some other things that swing in favor of the 4.6 is the accessory drive. Coyotes never had a power steering pump from the factory, and conversion kits I've found go for upwards of $700. 4.6 accessories are plentiful and easy to get and go right in to a Fox. I'm still in the planning stages of all this. I may get part way in and find out the Coyote is the better deal and switch plans. But time will tell for now.

    In the meantime, I've been hunting machine shops to get quotes to fix my current engine. Hope to have it back on the road in a couple months if all goes well.
    Nelson
    1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

    1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    387
    Country Flag: United States
    Sounds like you are definitely keeping all factors in mind. Another thing toward the truck coyote motors is that they do use hydraulic power steering so that might be the trick to solve that issue.

    Worst case for the engine, you can always come up and use my builder. He really knows his stuff.
    '95 F-150 track ready street beast
    Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by WallaceMFG View Post

    I've been eyeing the Coyotes for a while, almost pulled the trigger a couple times. As you stated, the differences are minimal for the truck engines so I have not been picky about what they came from. My main problem has been that I don't have the funds ready to buy one immediately, so even when a good deal has popped up it goes away before I can get to it. Or as I've found out is more common, the junkyards will post a good price, but that is just for the longblock, no accessories, intake, computer, etc... Really annoying to find what looks like good deal only to find it is missing $2K plus in other parts I need for it to run. I've also never managed to find a u pull it lot of any kind with a Coyote in it, probably because they know what they are worth. This has made me realize how cheap LS swaps truly are, and I've almost opted for that route a couple times.
    THIS. EXACTLY.

    For us Ford fans, this is exactly the spot we're in. Either keep playing with the pushrod Windsors, or go all in on a Coyote. There really isn't much in the middle. Thankfully, the Windsor stuff is pretty cheap (at least for now), but feels really old. Most of the mod motors aren't really worth looking into, or are just too expensive by the time you add heads and cams, headers, etc. Oh, and you'll need a computer / harness to run everything. It's a HUGE jump in price to get into the mod motors. Chevy got alot right with the LS's, and they are very plentiful.
    chunger

    '68 Ranchero 500
    '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
    '98 Mustang GT Convertible

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    Posts
    604
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
    Sounds like you are definitely keeping all factors in mind. Another thing toward the truck coyote motors is that they do use hydraulic power steering so that might be the trick to solve that issue.

    Worst case for the engine, you can always come up and use my builder. He really knows his stuff.
    I'm pretty sure even the F150 Coyotes don't use a power steering pump. As far as I am aware, they use an electric rack like GM does, but I could be wrong.

    Who did you use for your engine? At a minimum I would like to call and talk to him about my parts and see what he thinks.
    Nelson
    1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

    1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    Posts
    604
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by chunger View Post
    THIS. EXACTLY.

    For us Ford fans, this is exactly the spot we're in. Either keep playing with the pushrod Windsors, or go all in on a Coyote. There really isn't much in the middle. Thankfully, the Windsor stuff is pretty cheap (at least for now), but feels really old. Most of the mod motors aren't really worth looking into, or are just too expensive by the time you add heads and cams, headers, etc. Oh, and you'll need a computer / harness to run everything. It's a HUGE jump in price to get into the mod motors. Chevy got alot right with the LS's, and they are very plentiful.
    It is pretty interesting to see how much the mod motors have in common with the LS platform. Kinda makes sense since they were developed around the same time period.

    And I agree, it is a big price gap to get into the Mod motors compared to the Windsors. But at times it is not worse than an LS in terms of needing a computer and wiring to run it. But things like cams being $1200 instead of $300 is a big difference. But, in my mind I appreciate the jump to newer technology that the Mod motors give, which is why I am looking to go that route. I think the 4.6 DOHC is a little under loved by enthusiast because of the part prices, but is plenty capable of making power when massaged on.
    Nelson
    1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

    1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    387
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by WallaceMFG View Post
    I'm pretty sure even the F150 Coyotes don't use a power steering pump. As far as I am aware, they use an electric rack like GM does, but I could be wrong.

    Who did you use for your engine? At a minimum I would like to call and talk to him about my parts and see what he thinks.
    You're right about the F150s. I must have been looking at a 2010 when I saw the hydraulic hoses. I did see that a number of companies offer brackets to mount the S197 steering pump so that might make it easier/cheaper.

    I used Duffee Motorsports (623-455-8188). Brian runs the place and his only other worker is Pat. You usually have to leave a message, but Brian has always called me back within a couple hours max. Not a super talkative guy, but he really knows his stuff.

    '95 F-150 track ready street beast
    Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram


Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5