Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Rick/Vapor worx tank leaks

Good morning,

About a year plus ago I finally filled my gas tank full of gas before I headed out for a deployment. The tank leaked somewhere up top. When you burn gas down it no longer leaked. Based on this I naturally assumed it was probably a bad O-ring in top. Finally got around to swapping the O-ring out with the purchase of a new pump and also swapped out the gasket for the level unit. Filled it up full again for a deployment and to get it tuned...and it leaks. SOB...

Is it possible pressure inside the tank can overcome the o-ring? When I pulled the gas cap off it hissed, but I have a II Much vent. Just looking into possibilities because what ever I do....it Gonna wait 6-8 months till I come back. I have like few miles on this tank and yet according to MCB I bought it 4 years ago! Time is zooming by! Might be better just to get a new tank.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

My iiMuch vent pukes fuel when the tank is full FWIW. Apparently this is common....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I wonder if my vent system is blocked, I have never seen that on mine.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Something is not right if it is hissing when you remove the cap.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I got a email that 11 much is recalling all the vents because of this issue they are sending out replacements free

Quote Originally Posted by thumper877 View Post
      I got a email that 11 much is recalling all the vents because of this issue they are sending out replacements free
      I thought the recall issue was because they were leaking at the assembly joint. Mine pukes out the bronze vent.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...c6a7bb&mc_eid=

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Mine did that with my finch dual vent and then stopped. I don't think the vent port on the rick tank is high enough causing gas to get in the line and essentially clogging the line where vapors are unable to escape. I run with about 12 gallons of gas now and don't have a issue

Is the tank a fabricated sheet design or stamped steel?

Seems like a leak check is in order. The GM seal, if there are no defects in it or the mounting ring, should not be a problem.
      Last edited by CarlC; 03-13-2018 at 09:11 PM.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

It’s a fabricated stainless tank.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman
      I don't think the vent port on the rick tank is high enough causing gas to get in the line and essentially clogging the line where vapors are unable to escape.
      I'm no longer associated with fuel vents, but my past experience with Rick's tanks agrees with this. Is the vent port on the back side of the tank? An inch or so below the top? If so, then you need to treat the bottom of that port as the top of the tank.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Could that be my problem? Too much pressure? Mine never pukes out the vent but leaks somewhere up top. It does hiss when I take the cap off. My tank vent is on the back about a inch from the top.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      I'm no longer associated with fuel vents, but my past experience with Rick's tanks agrees with this. Is the vent port on the back side of the tank? An inch or so below the top? If so, then you need to treat the bottom of that port as the top of the tank.
      spot on and exactly

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      Could that be my problem? Too much pressure? Mine never pukes out the vent but leaks somewhere up top. It does hiss when I take the cap off. My tank vent is on the back about a inch from the top.
      Mine would hiss pretty good after getting on it and mist out of the fuel vent. If yours isnt venting at all it could cause some pressure to build up and find a weak spot. Again by running less than 12 gallons of gas i dont have the issue. I havent tested that theory in awhile though

I guess I’ll pull the line and see if it’s clear.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      Good morning,

About a year plus ago I finally filled my gas tank full of gas before I headed out for a deployment. The tank leaked somewhere up top. When you burn gas down it no longer leaked. Based on this I naturally assumed it was probably a bad O-ring in top. Finally got around to swapping the O-ring out with the purchase of a new pump and also swapped out the gasket for the level unit. Filled it up full again for a deployment and to get it tuned...and it leaks. SOB...

Is it possible pressure inside the tank can overcome the o-ring? When I pulled the gas cap off it hissed, but I have a II Much vent. Just looking into possibilities because what ever I do....it Gonna wait 6-8 months till I come back. I have like few miles on this tank and yet according to MCB I bought it 4 years ago! Time is zooming by! Might be better just to get a new tank.
      If there is ever fuel coming out of a II MUCH brand vent system, you have a problem with the installation. In the case of older Rick's Tanks the issue is related to their venting strategy. There is an internal tube that runs into the tank and depending on how much fuel you put in the tank and the installed angle it can cause that tube to act like a straw trapping pressure in the tank. In the past year Rick's has started adding a second port to the filler next based on discussions we had with them and now suggests the two ports be tied together and t'd into the II MUCH vent system. If you have a II MUCH brand product and you are experiencing this issue, please call the tech line 888-216-6033 and we will be happy to work with you on methods to address this. Again, you should never have fuel bypassing through the vent system and you should never hear a hiss of air pressure when you open the cap. Rick's is aware this can be an issue on some installations and you may want to talk to them about this as well.
      Last edited by JohnUlaszek; 01-17-2019 at 01:59 PM.

John,

That is interesting information. I have a pair of the early II Much vent cans and a Ricks / vaporworks tank in my car. On the road course I occasionally get fuel out the vent tank. I never understood why Rick's put the bung for the vent on the front of the tank instead of the top in the pump area as when I slam on brakes I expect all of that fuel to be thrown at the entry to the vent hose.

I don't suppose you have a picture of where/how they are adding this new port on the filler neck do you? I would have to go look, but I think the neck comes off easily with removal of a rubber hose to the tank. Could be that a port could be added to the neck on my existing tank.
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
      John,

That is interesting information. I have a pair of the early II Much vent cans and a Ricks / vaporworks tank in my car. On the road course I occasionally get fuel out the vent tank. I never understood why Rick's put the bung for the vent on the front of the tank instead of the top in the pump area as when I slam on brakes I expect all of that fuel to be thrown at the entry to the vent hose.

I don't suppose you have a picture of where/how they are adding this new port on the filler neck do you? I would have to go look, but I think the neck comes off easily with removal of a rubber hose to the tank. Could be that a port could be added to the neck on my existing tank.
      Its not just a port on the front of the tank, there is a tube that extends rearward, upward, and to the side of the tank, so adding a second port location to to the filler next may or may not fix the issue. If it was my car/tank and I didn't want to get into dropping the tank I'd start by plugging existing vent hole, add a port to the filler neck. Keep in mind the port can't be so high that it would cause a trap to form in the line. You want the fuel in the line to return back to the tank via gravity at some point. This would provide you with a single vent location on the filler which is better, but not optimal as it may be difficult to fill the tank -- air is going to have to fight to get out while fuel is coming in. Obviously proceed at your own risk -- this is just an opinion of what might work better for you.

Here is the inside of my Rick's vapor tank (1969 Camaro tank). You can see the tube and how it is routed. I will be plugging this hole and adding two new ones to the front of the tank. Then I will connect the filler neck and those two new vent holes to my II Much vent canister.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/avugqyhrx8...81%29.m4v?dl=0
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Would the vent used with the billet gas cap sold by ridetech be good enough?
      It's plumbed exactly as John is describing through the filler neck.

Quote Originally Posted by John McIntire View Post
      Would the vent used with the billet gas cap sold by ridetech be good enough?
      It's plumbed exactly as John is describing through the filler neck.
      The ridetech part has two potential issues.
      1. Location of port on the neck is likely too hight to use with the VSB, but it could be used with the VSR if the VSR is mounted sufficiently high to allow liquid gasoline to flow back downhill via gravity -- no traps in the line or there will be airflow issues.
      2. Filler neck is typically the highest point in the system so it should essentially act as a vapor dome, but it can make it difficult to fill the tank with just the one port as air can't easily escape as fuel enter the tank.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com