Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Cadillac CTS-V Seats in a 1966 Bel Air

I scored some first gen CTS-V seats for my '66 Bel Air project and they look like they will fit great after I make some brackets, but I'm not sure what to do for the wiring. I have yet to find a diagram that can tell me the pins that need power in order to operate the motors. I don't care about the seat memory working, so I am wondering if it would be easier to make a relay board and run the motors without the module. Does anyone have a schematic or a diagram with the pinouts for a 2004-2007 CTS-V? Has anyone used these sets before on a build that got them working properly?

On a side note, I removed the side airbags, but can't find a good way to remove/disable the pretensioner, anyone have any ideas on that? Name:  20180116_192012.jpg
Views: 4175
Size:  175.6 KB

I can't answer your questions but I'm looking to use the cts seats as well.

I found the schematics here.
      It looks like you can apply battery voltage to the seats and all should work with the exception of the driver's side lumbar support, which seems to be controlled by the memory seat module (MSM), but that can easily be rewired like the passenger side so that it can operate without the MSM.

I worked on this for a little bit last night, had the passenger seat working with just 12v and ground, but I could not get the driver's side to do anything. Looking at the schematics, it seems like there RD/WHT wire needs 12v, but it is also looking for Class II voltage in order to turn the module on. It seems like you could bypass the module by giving the switch panel power, like the passenger side, but the physical harness is alot more intertwined than the schematic would suggest and some of the color coding isn't matching what I am seeing. I wonder if an easier solution would be to retrofit a passenger side harness onto the driver side seat.

Do guys installing 2004+ GTO seats have this issue?

Maybe if you provide some pictures of what modules you're working with that would help. Based on the schematics the drivers seat should work as long as you have battery voltage on pin F of the driver's switch and ground on pin C with the exception of the lumbar support which would need to be rewired slightly.

GTO seats are super simple -- power and ground and you're done. No heat, no memory = no modules. Those CTS seats will look fantastic, though, worth the effort.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

I finally figured it out last night and it is more simple than I thought.

I was going to try to bypass the module, but after comparing the layout, I found the passenger seat runs the motor's power through the switch panel, while the drivers seat motors are powered by the module and the driver's switch is just an input. So unless you use a passenger's seat harness on a driver's side, there is no way to bypass the module.
      Name:  20180308_181317.jpg
Views: 2181
Size:  200.3 KB

It was easy than I thought power on though, GM used a separate connector on the module for power and ground, so I just had to check continuity on that with the main connector and continuity for the switch on the main connector and it woke up and started working. Name:  20180308_175812.jpg
Views: 2137
Size:  204.1 KB

I haven't tried to see if lumbar is working, since the module is on, but I would expect that it is now.

The bigger question is how I should connect it to the car. I was thinking of running a dedicated power wire into the interior controlled by a relay off the ignition, so I can can add other power options later. But, even though my factory harness looks like it is in fine shape, an AAW kit is looking more appealing to cleanup the rat's nest that is the factory wiring.

Congratulations, you'll have to post a pic of them in the Bel Air. As far as providing power to the seats, just make sure the circuit is fused from wherever you tap off power from. I would think a 10A fuse would be more than enough. I see it has a butt warmer module too, you'll have to see if you can get that working too

Yeah, with the AAW classic update kit you have so many extra circuits for stuff like that. I wired a set of 4th gen seats with just a fuse inline and it was fine. Relay might be overkill but good to run.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

I have been running these seats in my Dart for over 5 years. They work like a charm, everything works, lumbar & heat. I had posted up the wiring diagram over at FABO ( For A bodies only) I'll see if I can find it. All you really have to do is power the memory along with the seat 12v.

Just finished the driver's side mount last night, which was a little tougher than I was hoping. The floor of the Bel Air is not flat side to side and is canted back about 10 degrees. The CTS seat is also pretty tall with no good options to make shorter without some major structural compromises. I wanted a metal frame structure for the seat mount to bole to that I could later tie into a roll cage, but that would have made the seat too tight up to the steering wheel.

I made flat through floor tab mounts for the front with some backing plates with a nut welded to them for the front. For the rear the CTS uses a horizontal bolt for the outside track and a big flat stamped plate for the inside, but has a reinforced section on the track to use a horizontal bolt. So I cut off the big stamped plate and welded vertical tabs from the floor with gussets going to the driveshaft tunnel and frame tunnel. It's probably overbuilt, but the integrated seatbelt makes me nervous about off-the-shelf mounts.

It took way to long to make the driver's side mount, but I made patterns, so the passenger side should go quick. It was also a good time to cut the trans tunnel for the shifter, since I am swapping the Powerglide for a Muncie.

Should have some pictures soon once I clean up the mounts and make it look a little more polished.

Here is a picture from when I was roughing it in. The CTS seat fits a B-Body pretty well as along as you can level out the front and dont mind that it is slightly canted back, the seat has enough adjustment in it to still be able to tilt forward.... if that's what you are into. Getting in and out is fine, will be alot easier with a smaller steering wheel.
      Name:  20180312_205604.jpg
Views: 1774
Size:  203.1 KB

I have to find a wiring diagram for my '09 CTSv seats also..... Took over a year to find them!

I cannot wait to have heated and cooled seats! The rear seats need a good bit removed to lower them to fit properly.
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      69 Chevelle 1000hp turbo LS, T56 Mag, JRi coilovers, Watts/torque arm 9", 14" Wilwoods, Recaro CTSv seats, cromo cage, a/c, p/s, built by Coffey Fab Nashville, TN.
      93 RX-7 1200hp turbo LS9, T56 Mag, 8.8", 9.3@163mph + 197mph 1/2 mile

gnx7, Ive seen pictures for the back seats using plywood to fill in that space and make a mount. That way you dont cut up the seats and the carpet can, hopefully, just lift up a bit to cover the gap.

Just curious how the CTS seats worked for you?

I am thinking out looking into this for my '55 Bel Air
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Callahan View Post
      I am thinking out looking into this for my '55 Bel Air
      Try to find some Recaro CTS-V seats. They are awesome seats.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Wife's 2012 CTS premium coupe (non-v model) has the recaro seats, which are heated & vented. Probably same seats as v- models & should be easier to find.

Olso hasn't been here in over a year but I wish anyone else with first hand experience wiring these seats up would chime in.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com