Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Think my fuel pump is dying...

Car's been sitting for a couple years at the body shop.

It still starts and runs but doesn't run right. I don't think it's fuel related because there's a lot of valve chatter. I need to pull the valve cover to inspect but that's a different story.

I've got a clear inline fuel filter between the carb and pump and I distinctly remember it being at least half full when I used to drive the car.

Now there's barely anything in it while it's running.

I was going to get a new pump because they're not that expensive, but a co-worker is making me have my doubts. I was going to get a $50 summit pump that puts out 110 gph but he's saying it will be too much and I should just go to AutoZone and get a $20 ac delco pump.

The engine is supposed to have roughly 450 hp, but I haven't dyno'd it yet. I planned to get it running well enough and then get it Dyno tuned.

Thoughts?

Matt

69 Nova - 357, TKO600, Tru Turn, some other stuff, awaiting LS1 swap
      71 Duster - all stock, slant 6, automatic. awaiting HEMI/T56 swap

I assume you are running a mechanical fuel pump judging from your post. I personally would not buy a cheap pump there are many mid-range pumps that are very nice for not that much money. Keep in mind that a high volume pump will simply bypass fuel that is not used.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Yes, mechanical pump.

All the info I can find online says that even a 500 hp engine needs less than 40 gph, and the AC delco one puts out 40 gph so it should be more than enough.

That's my friend's argument anyway, lol.

I don't think a $150 pump is necessary, but the $50 summit pump seems like a hard deal to pass up.

So if I get a higher output pump, it won't cause problems? I vaguely remember reading that too much pressure/flow could overpower the carb and cause issues.
      Matt

The problem with a high volume pump is that sometimes they have high pressure. A carb only needs between 7 and 14 psi. I would think anything above that and you'll need a regulator, possibly with a bypass. High pressure in a carb just causes float problems that lead to carb running rich.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Well I got the AC Delco pump from AutoZone. My filter is still basically empty when the engine is running. I could have sworn it used to be more full, but I guess not.

Seems to be running better now anyway, so I guess I'll leave well enough alone.
      Matt

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com