Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Distributor Gear - is this iron or steel

Anyone out there a metallurgist? this gear is allegedly iron, but I am worried that it is steel since its all machined and there are no casting marks. I tried filing it to see how soft the material is (comparing it to two old cam shafts, one steel, one iron, also compared it to another cast gear), and I cant tell the difference. also tried smacking it with a wrench to see if it rings differently than another cast gear that I have, but its too hard to tell with it mounted on the distributor.
      Name:  IMG_1766.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  48.2 KBName:  IMG_1768.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  45.2 KBName:  IMG_1765.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  44.9 KB

So? can any of you tell by the pic if this is iron or not?
      Cheers.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Looks like steel. This sounds like the old Ford (steel) roller cam vs. stock (iron) cam problem . . . They used to be like 15 bucks, though . . . Any pitting in the gear?

no pitting that I can see. which is why I am skeptical. The distributor was specifically advertised as having an iron gear. In fact, I sent the first one back because I thought it was steel, but the second one had the same gear. after quite a bit of internet searching, it looks like the iron gears aren't always left rough in places like the gears that came on older fords.

Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com