Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      electric power steering

not pictured- anchored the 3/4"dd shaft to the inside of the rail with 3/4" heim joints.

narrowing the explorer 8.8

A friend of mine bent some roll cage tube for me to connect the A pillars to the frame rails

Country Flag: United States
      What a cool project. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to build a Volvo 1800 but you are taking this to another level. I am tuned in on this project!

When building a frame from scratch are you not worried about doing it without a frame table to make sure everything is level/square?

I like the progress so far. What is the electric steering setup from?
      69 Chevelle 1000hp turbo LS, T56 Mag, JRi coilovers, Watts/torque arm 9", 14" Wilwoods, Recaro CTSv seats, cromo cage, a/c, p/s, built by Coffey Fab Nashville, TN.
      93 RX-7 1200hp turbo LS9, T56 Mag, 8.8", 9.3@163mph + 197mph 1/2 mile

A lot of nice work!!!

Might be the first Volvo I've seen without a car seat!!!

What kind of controller are you looking at?

I'm running the MS3pro on my V12- it'll handle 12 sequential injectors - for spark I'm using 12 LS coils. Really a great piece for the money.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by gnx7 View Post
      What is the electric steering setup from?
      Looks like the EPS is from a Saturn Vue

Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      What a cool project. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to build a Volvo 1800 but you are taking this to another level. I am tuned in on this project!
      Darreld, I've followed your project on swedespeed for the past few years. Amazing stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by gnx7 View Post
      When building a frame from scratch are you not worried about doing it without a frame table to make sure everything is level/square?

I like the progress so far. What is the electric steering setup from?
      I did the best I could with levels, squares, clamps, jack stands, and shims. I'm pretty confident everything is dialed in but I won't know until I know- haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard454 View Post
      A lot of nice work!!!

Might be the first Volvo I've seen without a car seat!!!

What kind of controller are you looking at?

I'm running the MS3pro on my V12- it'll handle 12 sequential injectors - for spark I'm using 12 LS coils. Really a great piece for the money.

Richard

Looks like the EPS is from a Saturn Vue
      Richard,

I'm hoping to keep the factory lucas EFI (I have the entire harness and ECU pulled from the running jag) but if not I'll either do 6 webers or AEM or Pro EFI. We'll see how it goes, or doesn't!

The column is from a mid 2000s Vue- It's the exact same as the equinox I believe.

Country Flag: Netherlands
      Very cool build! Can't wait to see more :-)
      1st 2nd
      Pro-Touring outside the USA !
      Martin's Camaro Page

Wow. Very cool. Please tell you you're going to use the Saturn steering wheel. ;)

I'm so in on this. Very cool project. I'll be interested in seeing how you do your sheetmetal.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 275nart View Post
      Richard,

I'm hoping to keep the factory lucas EFI (I have the entire harness and ECU pulled from the running jag) but if not I'll either do 6 webers or AEM or Pro EFI. We'll see how it goes, or doesn't!
      I once heard a joke:

"Why do people in England drink warm beer?
      Because Lucas made refridgerators too."

lol

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by 275nart View Post

Richard,

Ahhhh- Lucas - "The prince of darkness!!!"

Do look at the Jenvey Heritage ITBs -look like Webers. I wish these were available when I did my ITBs.

Richard

Name:  Jenvey-Heritage-Throttle-Body-2.jpg
Views: 1901
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  Jenvey-Heritage-Throttle-Body-3.jpg
Views: 1885
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  Photo-30-01-2017-09-44-56.jpg
Views: 1899
Size:  231.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cbpldc View Post
      Wow. Very cool. Please tell you you're going to use the Saturn steering wheel. ;)

I'm so in on this. Very cool project. I'll be interested in seeing how you do your sheetmetal.

Chris
      Chris- The best wheel I can find that doesn't cost an arm and a leg is the nardi anni 60. I should be starting on the body buck soon. I'm planning to do a wire frame buck out of stainless rod that I can fit over the car. I need to do a little bit more welding and fabrication and get all the bare metal in epoxy primer before I move on to that.

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      I once heard a joke:

"Why do people in England drink warm beer?
      Because Lucas made refridgerators too."

lol

Jay
      Jay,

I feel like I've heard that one before but it's good!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard454 View Post
      Ahhhh- Lucas - "The prince of darkness!!!"

Do look at the Jenvey Heritage ITBs -look like Webers. I wish these were available when I did my ITBs.

Richard
      Mmmmm that looks like an excellent way to blow the budget!!! Beautiful though.

A little update here, A lot has been going on for me but I have some progress to report. Doors have been cut down and roughly mocked up. I will need to build back the jams and door frames.

A friend scanned a scale model I have and is working on scaling and figuring out how to slice into 2d sections so I can build the buck from it. I have a few ideas how to translate the sections to wire, either using a projector, plotting it on paper, or CNC in cardboard or plywood. This part doesn't have to be pretty as long as it's accurate. The nose and tail sections will likely be CNC'd in foam to capture all the detail.

I'm hoping the wire buck might turn out something like this

subscribed T

On that V12...you can offset grind the crank to Ford bearing diameters and order Crower rods to fit (they already have the dimensions)

Very nice workmanship. I am looking forward to more!

Nice work. Stay after it, I am impressed that you can literally “do it all” and have the time to “do it all”. Good luck with the project. You have an amazing start so far. Looking forward to more pics and updates.
      Burn em’ while we have em’. Fossil fuels and rubber tires till the end!

Subscribed! This is a cool build, very outside of the box!
      Ed Cooney
      '96 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon, LT1/4L60, full bolt-ons & Solomon's tune, 18" Ridler wheels, lowered with Belltech springs

‘70 Buick Skylark Convertible project w/ GN drivetrain

'91 Formula, pending track day build

This is obviously a long overdue update. I was presented an opportunity to have nose and tail portions of the car 3d printed... yes, 3d printing part of the body buck! I bet this is the first time you will read that. While 3d printing full scale may not be an economic solution for building a whole car, there are a lot of opportunities to print detailed parts or molds (very quickly). I didn't even consider this earlier on in the build, because I just didn't know printing in this scale was possible. The massivit printer prints something like 1foot per hour for something of this size- it's nuts, and puts my rinky dink desktop 3d printer to shame.

While I could use these printed parts to build sheet metal panels directly from, I will be bodyworking and painting these printed pieces and pulling splash molds from them and will build the sheet metal from a fiberglass part instead.

After slicing to my liking, preparation of the model and printing was done by the sign connection in Gastonia, NC on their Massivit 3d printer and anyone who's serious about printing larger parts should definitely be talking with them.

While I'm sure it is pricey , handmaking those sections from completely scratch would be far more time consuming than fenders , door skins & roof panels .

Can you give more detail as to what was needed to get this done & cost?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com