Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug1 View Post
      For AGM batteries you should get an advanced regulator. It will do multi step charging. An old style regulator doesn't and will wear the battery out prematurely.
      I Totally disagree.

Country Flag: United States
      OK so charging system 101, class is in session.
      Been working on cars as profession for 30+ yrs and I am pretty good at electrical.
      First of all a common car battery is full charge at 12.6. Making 2.1 volts per cell. As for testing batteries they are testing with a capacitance tester and for the most part they DO a fairly accurate test.
      Most current systems for testing then use a no load "float" charge test with only car running but no accessories, THEN have you run lights, blower, rear defogger etc for the added load looking for a voltage RISE.
      This can also be checked with good digital multimeter (not cheapy from tool bin at gas station if at all possible) and a carbon pile tester. One that loads battery and system with heavy load.
      The old hand held Snap On 100amp testers take much more to spot actual system faults.
      This is what I have for old school battery load testing and IT WILL MAKE A WEAK BATTERY HEAL to the load.
      https://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemD...G58aApgr8P8HAQ

I also use Midtronics ED18/3 at work

But my personal unit I just got last fall from Matco is:
      https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/p...-WITH-PRINTER/

It tests starter, alternator, ground plane and diode ripple as well.

One way to see if you have a weak diode is using a quality digital multimeter with at least 5 mega ohm or 10 mega ohm impedance you attach it to both terminals then turn on low beams and watching multimeter on AC voltage blink your high beams or turn on another high amp surge device and watch the multimeter.
      The industry spec is 0.070V AC or 70 mV AC if you get more than low 80 mV AC you have a diode that isnt clamping the AC current properly and WILL destroy the battery forthwith.

I have seen systems flashing well over 1V AC into batteries trashing them and it will make computer systems act up as well.
      A sharp load taxes the diode a heavy load that comes on with less speed may not flare the diode clamping BUT still may allow damage to happen but over longer period of time.

NOW, the CSI130/133/144 alternator either internal or external fan has a digital regulator which give the alternator a much sharper and cleaner charge pattern under loads.
      Older 10/12 SI simply have two or three steps depending on what the second regulator wire senses(that would be the larger wire that clips to regulator plugs.
      The newer CSI alternator do not need a sensing wire BUT ARE EQUIPPED with that circuit.

On either alternator you wire a 12 key on run source through a light(preferably a bulb similar to a 194) to the turn on circuit.
      They also have a sensing wire you can run to different areas of the electrical system.
      But its not required.

Generally if an alternator that has been in service starts charging lower try looking at worn brushes. This allows the spring tension to lessen and reduces brush connection on slip rings. Also if the rings are not concentric the weaker springs allow the brushes to hop and reduce power output regardless of what the regulator is trying to produce.
      My money is look at brush wear, MAYBE a weak diode and also if you tear it down change the bearings for insurance.
      OR buy one with extended warranty.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com