Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Moser Ford 9" Noise...Can't figure it out.

So since day one....This rear end makes noise. Louder of course the faster I'm going....I played with the pinion angle and nothing changes. My car is lowered so the drivetrain and the rear end is pretty close to a straight shot to each other.

It only makes noise when I'm on the gas. Not really hammering it, but lets say I'm on the free-way cruising at 65mph, foot is barely on the throttle just to maintain speed, there is noise. Let off the gas its quite. I would think if the driveline angle was out of whack I would feel vibration or something but nothing....

This is starting to annoy me and Moser says nothing but "its driveline angle". Advice please....this is a $1800 3rd member!
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

So... you haven't been paying attention, lol.

Aftermarket Ford 9" gears make noise. All of them that I've ever been associated with. And that noise is most prevalent at cruise where the driveline is lightly loaded, Back off the throttle, noise goes away. Push down slightly, noise comes back. It's the nature of the beast. If you want quiet gears, you're gonna need to run factory gears. I'm told factory gears are "double lapped" whereas aftermarket gears aren't, and thats what causes the noise.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...r-end-opinions

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...iginal-12-bolt

There are more if you search.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      So... you haven't been paying attention, lol.

Aftermarket Ford 9" gears make noise. All of them that I've ever been associated with. And that noise is most prevalent at cruise where the driveline is lightly loaded, Back off the throttle, noise goes away. Push down slightly, noise comes back. It's the nature of the beast. If you want quiet gears, you're gonna need to run factory gears. I'm told factory gears are "double lapped" whereas aftermarket gears aren't, and thats what causes the noise.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...r-end-opinions

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...iginal-12-bolt

There are more if you search.
      If its normal, I'm fine with that. I just hate chasing my tail for no reason. I appreciate your quick response.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Yes, it's normal. I had one customer who couldn't stand the noise in his DSE Quadralink with a 9" Moser setup (built by DSE). I finally built him an 8.8" Ford using all new Ford Racing parts and sold the old one. It cost him a few thousand to swap it out, but it's quiet now and he's happy. The noise at cruising speed doesn't bother the fellow that bought it. To each his own I suppose.

I love the 8.8 stuff. You can build one with all new parts, a kick-ass diff, 31 spline axles and have OEM NVH properties and it'll handle all the power you can put to it.
      John Parsons

Yeah what John said. I have the same noise out of my 9" and it is what it is.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I'm having the same exact problem. John, you got me thinking. I wonder if I had selected the "US GEAR - LIGHTNING SERIES" when I purchased the 9" Moser if that would have solved the problem. I'm guessing that this is something equivalent to having the gears double or tripled lapped.

Hi John, do you have a list of parts you would recommend when rebuilding a ford 8.8? Also, any major differences between the explorer vs mustang? Thanks for your help.

Yes, it's normal. I had one customer who couldn't stand the noise in his DSE Quadralink with a 9" Moser setup (built by DSE). I finally built him an 8.8" Ford using all new Ford Racing parts and sold the old one. It cost him a few thousand to swap it out, but it's quiet now and he's happy. The noise at cruising speed doesn't bother the fellow that bought it. To each his own I suppose.

I love the 8.8 stuff. You can build one with all new parts, a kick-ass diff, 31 spline axles and have OEM NVH properties and it'll handle all the power you can put to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie
      John, do you have a list of parts you would recommend when rebuilding a ford 8.8?
      I'd get the Ford Traction-Lok diff (M-4204-F318C from Ford Racing). It was OEM in the 2004 Cobra. It uses 31 spline axles, which you can get from lots of aftermarket suppliers (Moser, Strange, Currie, etc.). From there use Ford new-style SET20 ends (often called "Torino ends"). Then normal 2.5" offset brakes can be had from Wilwood, Baer, SSBC, etc.

For a housing, any can be used -- it's just a matter of finding something. I usually use DSE's Q-link so the original brackets always get cut off and tossed. Add a Ford Racing 8.8 cast aluminum cover and a real Ford Racing ring & pinion (available from 3.08 to 4.56), and you're good to go.

If you want something more than the mundane Ford traction-lok, you can get a Yukon Dura Grip, Yukon Grizzly, Yukon Trac Loc, ARB air locker, Detroit Powertrax Lock-Right, Auburn Gear ECTED, Auburn limited slip, Aussie Locker, Spartan, Eaton Posi, Eaton E-Locker, and Tru-Trac diffs -- all of which use 31 spline axles.

Hope that helps.
      John Parsons

Normal yes but complete bull**** if you ask me. 6 new moser units, dse supplied all made the same noise as what you are talking about. Took the 3rd member to a local guy 5 of the 6 are now PERFECT with ZERO noise. Mine makes a very very slight noise on deceleration but is 95% better with ZERO noise on acceleration now. Cost was about $400 per unit.

Don't accept the answer of ford 9" all make noise. Local guy is here in garland, Tx named ernie.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman
      Don't accept the answer of ford 9" all make noise. Local guy is here in garland, Tx named ernie.
      Ernie sounds like a wizard, and someone we should know more about. Got contact information?
      John Parsons

I'd get the Ford Traction-Lok diff (M-4204-F318C from Ford Racing). It was OEM in the 2004 Cobra. It uses 31 spline axles, which you can get from lots of aftermarket suppliers (Moser, Strange, Currie, etc.). From there use Ford new-style SET20 ends (often called "Torino ends"). Then normal 2.5" offset brakes can be had from Wilwood, Baer, SSBC, etc.

For a housing, any can be used -- it's just a matter of finding something. I usually use DSE's Q-link so the original brackets always get cut off and tossed. Add a Ford Racing 8.8 cast aluminum cover and a real Ford Racing ring & pinion (available from 3.08 to 4.56), and you're good to go.

If you want something more than the mundane Ford traction-lok, you can get a Yukon Dura Grip, Yukon Grizzly, Yukon Trac Loc, ARB air locker, Detroit Powertrax Lock-Right, Auburn Gear ECTED, Auburn limited slip, Aussie Locker, Spartan, Eaton Posi, Eaton E-Locker, and Tru-Trac diffs -- all of which use 31 spline axles.

Hope that helps.

This is the setup I'm building for my olds (cobra diff/ 9" axles). What kind of power was being run through your setup?

Ernie sounds like a wizard, and someone we should know more about. Got contact information?
      9722782415. Name is ernie from garland texas. Tell him randy dicken sent you a buddy of Rodney Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by OldsGuy
      What kind of power was being run through your setup?
      One fellow has a stock LS3 dynoed at 404 hp at the tires, another has an LS9, but we don't have a dyno reading. Rated at 648 hp at the flywheel by GM.
      John Parsons

Do you know if Ernie switched out the gears or just realigned them?

One fellow has a stock LS3 dynoed at 404 hp at the tires, another has an LS9, but we don't have a dyno reading. Rated at 648 hp at the flywheel by GM.

Great, thank you. Will be around 550-600 whp after the winter

Quote Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
      Do you know if Ernie switched out the gears or just realigned them?
      switched them out. $440 with new gears and setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
      switched them out. $440 with new gears and setup.
      Who's gears does he use?
      John Parsons

Who's gears does he use?
      I think he used richmond or motive gears. Im leaning torwards motive but im unsure. Give him a call tomorrow.

Thanks for the info John.

One more question, do you have a preference between the mustang and explorer rear end? I’m assuming the explorer rear end is heavier, pumpkin is probably bigger I know the tubes are larger. Any issues when installing the Torino ends on the explorer larger tubes? Thanks again for your help.

Hope that helps.

Just back in town..

Quote Originally Posted by Black
      do you have a preference between the mustang and explorer rear end?
      No, not really. The Mustang uses 3" axle tubes. If the Explorer is bigger than that, I'd stay with Mustang parts. 3" seems to be a standard size for suspension brackets, etc.
      John Parsons

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com