Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Best offset for a first gen is +6 front and rear for stock rear and front. 8" wheel, 4.75 front and 9.5" wheel , 5.5 rear. You can also use a 9" rear wheel with 5.25 BS. You will see some 2 piece wheel manufacturers selling a 0+ offset 8 front for a first gen. This is equal to 4.5" BS (8" wheel). Those "can" work if you aren't lowered.

Before you buy wheels, What brakes are you going to use?
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

max tire wheel fit no tubs

you can clear a 9.5" wide wheel with 5.5" backspace at all four corners with 275 35 18 tires.
      my current set up: ridetech uca / tru turn kit / hotchkis coils / DSE lca - lowered 3" all the way around.
      Able to clear wheel / tire combo at all four corners, only mod was to clearance upper out area of fender well similar to 48 hr camaro build.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Latest update, finally got everything installed. I swapped out the old steering box for a 97 Grand Cherokee steering box first, big improvement. I then installed the Tru Turn steering, took me awhile and I learned a few things along the way (pay somebody to do it for starters). I did have to do a couple of modifications along the way but they were minor.

Ok now for the first test drive, I didn’t set the toe in/out enough so it was short but it felt positive, especially when making any turn, took forever to make a turn with the old set up. Today I finally reset the toe in/out, rechecked everything and took it for a longer test drive. Now it’s been a couple of months since I drove it last but I would start the car periodically and let it warm up. OMG can’t describe how much different it handles. I always get lots of attention when I drive this car and today was no different as some kids were out with their Dad on a farm quad waving me on and of course I had to give my cool thumbs up when I passed them enjoying this ride, I of course laid the cheese factor on as I went by.
      Stupid me!, forgot to put gas in it and it ran out of gas, right in front of one of our local wineries that was have a beautiful wedding, they didn’t seem to mind having it parked at their event.

Ok my only complaint I have is not with the tru turn but with my exhaust I installed right before I did the swap. I decided to install mid length headers so they wouldn’t hang down like full length headers to save some ground clearance, didn’t pan out. They hang down just as far as full length headers, I’m thinking of just going back with the stock exhaust manifolds since I didn’t have any issues with them. I converted my Camaro to EFI and it runs much better so hopefully it with be close to what I have now.

Any suggestions on what to do with the exhaust?

Did you run into any issues with your Tru Turn setup and the GW control arms? I have the GW arms and want to get the Tru Turn but I would prefer not to have to replace my arms. Also did you do the Guldstrand Mod?

I had problems with True Turn and GW lower control arms. The steering stops on the True Turn steering arms contacted the GW arms and limited my turning radius tremendously. But I have seen other versions work.... mine were the lowers for coil over shocks with the reinforcement for the shock.

Mine arms are the ones for the standard coil springs not the coil overs, wonder how much of difference it will make? Anyone else have issues?

HTML Code:
      m
      Quote Originally Posted by H20cooled View Post
      Did you run into any issues with your Tru Turn setup and the GW control arms? I have the GW arms and want to get the Tru Turn but I would prefer not to have to replace my arms. Also did you do the Guldstrand Mod?
      I also have the standard GW a-arms for the coil springs that I bought in 2005 or 2006, my turning radius sucked after that. Before I installed the Tru-Turn I swapped out the original power steering box with a 1996 Jeep Grand Chrerokee box, huge improvement on my steering and it improved my turning radius. I then installed the Tru-Turn and right back to square one on the turning radius but worse. Ok what do I do now, purchase ridetechÂ’s a-arms and coil overs for another $2,000+ or figure it out on my own?

I decided to try and modify the GW bump stops by cutting the stops myself since they would be useless now, it worked! The turning radius is even better then ever. I checked for any rubbing and itÂ’s good. I would recommend cutting about half of the stops at first to make sure itÂ’s what you want. Ride Tech contacted me on this thread and said they have heard of problems with the GW a-arms steering stops and wanted to monitor how this went.

Hope this helps guys

I don't see bump stops on my lower GW arm that I would cut, they one that sticks up is just screwed in but I never installed it on my setup. I'm wondering if mine are newer than yours and that is why. Mine look like thisName:  Screenshot from 2018-11-13 06-46-33.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  16.8 KB.

Thanks!

The problem I had with the True Turn was the ridetech steering arms have stops on the forward end, where the original arms had the stop on the back side. The ridetech arms are work with the forward bump stops where the GW arms worked with the rear bump stops. I could have cut off the stops on the new RT steering arms but opted not to.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by oleyeller View Post
      The problem I had with the True Turn was the ridetech steering arms have stops on the forward end, where the original arms had the stop on the back side. The ridetech arms are work with the forward bump stops where the GW arms worked with the rear bump stops. I could have cut off the stops on the new RT steering arms but opted not to.
      I cut the forward ones and that solved my problems

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see bump stops on my lower GW arm that I would cut, they one that sticks up is just screwed in but I never installed it on my setup. I'm wondering if mine are newer than yours and that is why. Mine look like thisName:  Screenshot from 2018-11-13 06-46-33.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  16.8 KB.

Thanks!
      Check the front of the arms

I guess I'm missing something but I'm not seeing the steering stop on the arms. Are you talking about cutting the steering arm off which is hits the arm or something off the GW A arms?

I just found this image of GW arms and I'm wondering if this is what you haveName:  MAgPkHCB1NnH2JPG-1.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  38.3 KB, mine must be newer because I do not have that on mine.

b
      I just found this image of GW arms and I'm wondering if this is what you haveName:  MAgPkHCB1NnH2JPG-1.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  38.3 KB, mine must be newer because I do not have that on mine.
      Those are the ones

I’ll check mine when I’m at my house to make sure it was those nubs

I have another question. Is the '97 Jeep gear box a direct bolt on? Could you see a definite difference?

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Cool, yeah mine are completely flat on the front so I guess the updated the arms and removed those stops. Thanks.

Steering Box

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      I have another question. Is the '97 Jeep gear box a direct bolt on? Could you see a definite difference?
      Yes, you will need a Borgeson adapter fittings which I put on the bottom of this list of steering boxes that will work. You will need to change your pitman arm for your car

Steering Box

Buyers Guide
      Make Model Year(s)
      Buick Roadmaster 1993 - 1996
      Chevrolet Caprice 1995 - 1996
      Chevrolet Impala 1995 - 1996
      Chevrolet Blazer 1995 - 1999
      Chevrolet Blazer 2001 - 2001
      Chevrolet Blazer 2004 - 2005
      Chevrolet S10 - Pickup 1995 - 2003
      Chevrolet TrailBlazer 1999 - 1999
      GMC Truck Jimmy 1995 - 1999
      GMC Truck Jimmy 2001 - 2001
      GMC Truck Sonoma 1995 - 2003
      Isuzu Hombre 1996 - 2000
      Jeep Cherokee 1996 - 1998
      Jeep Grand Cherokee 1996 - 1998
      Jeep TJ 1997 - 2002
      Jeep Wrangler 1997 - 2002

Borgeson GM Inverted Flare Adapter Fitting Set/13.50 at Summit

Cool, yeah mine are completely flat on the front so I guess the updated the arms and removed those stops. Thanks.
      Then you shouldn’t have a problem

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      Check the fitment list I posted, only those will work

I finally got my True-Turn installed with a new Borgesen Power Steering Box, night and day difference! You can really feel the positive handling. My Camaro sits lower then it did before resulting in header clearance problems now. I emailed ridetech with no response, not happy.🤔
      I did see on YouTube where a guy changed out his stock a-arms for aftermarket tubular a-arms with dropped spindles and he had the same results so he installed Viking Coil Overs and that took care of his clearance problems so I ordered a set of Vikings for my ride, I’ll keep you guys posted. 😎

Quote Originally Posted by elwaupo View Post
      I finally got my True-Turn installed with a new Borgesen Power Steering Box, night and day difference! You can really feel the positive handling. My Camaro sits lower then it did before resulting in header clearance problems now. I emailed ridetech with no response, not happy.🤔
      I did see on YouTube where a guy changed out his stock a-arms for aftermarket tubular a-arms with dropped spindles and he had the same results so he installed Viking Coil Overs and that took care of his clearance problems so I ordered a set of Vikings for my ride, I’ll keep you guys posted. 😎
      The Viking set up is cool did not go that way because of the loss of suspension travel with that set up.
      I'm running DSE lower control arms with deeper spring cups, hotchkis 600lb rate coils with 2" drop and true turn 2" dropped spindle made for way too low to be safe, solution was afco adjustable spring cup, pn 20191. Not only cures ride height but lets you dial in exact ride height as it is adjustable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com