Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Got My Tru-Turn!

Ok, I have a 69 SS Camaro that I’ve had for 20+ years and yeah everybody thinks it’s a cool car and I tell them that it’s nice to drive around the block but that’s about it. I’ve since converted it to EFI and that’s a lot better but it still handles like crap, only good for straight lines. I have the privalige of driving a 40 mile commute along the river with sweeping turns and finally expiranced “bumsteer”. I just purchased Ride Tech’s “True-Turn” system so I’ll keep everybody posted on how this works from a normal’s guys point of view.

I’m not planning on Auto Crossing this car but just making it a daily driver and having fun. 😎

Country Flag: United States
      I feel ya. Dad bought a '67 RS/SS 30 years ago. after many iterations it ended up in my hands a few years back with big block, automatic, spool and mostly stock suspension. It was a blast to go in a straight, but horrifying when you had to turn or stop. fast forward, we LS swapped it and completely updated suspension, brakes, wheels and tires. The car is a blast to drive with the only limiting factor now being the stock, flat seats.

True turn is a good start, but in conjunction with springs, good shocks, and modern tires, you will really wake that car up. Have fun

What are you using for control arms. I'm considering the tru-turn also. Have you done the Guldstrand Modification ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich G View Post
      What are you using for control arms. I'm considering the tru-turn also. Have you done the Guldstrand Modification ?
      I have Global West A Arms. I didn’t mention that I’m also changing out my power steering box to a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Box. I hear that’s a huge upgrade for these old cars. I’m planning on doing that first for the comparison then onto the suspension.

Ride Tech and Global West

Let us know how the True Turn works with the GW lower control arms, there may be some issues with the steering stops on the steering arms limiting your turning radius.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Let’s hope not

Quote Originally Posted by Rich G View Post
      No I haven’t done that mod just the Global West

Quote Originally Posted by btmatt View Post
      I feel ya. Dad bought a '67 RS/SS 30 years ago. after many iterations it ended up in my hands a few years back with big block, automatic, spool and mostly stock suspension. It was a blast to go in a straight, but horrifying when you had to turn or stop. fast forward, we LS swapped it and completely updated suspension, brakes, wheels and tires. The car is a blast to drive with the only limiting factor now being the stock, flat seats.

True turn is a good start, but in conjunction with springs, good shocks, and modern tires, you will really wake that car up. Have fun

What size tires and wheels are you running? I’d like to run 17” or 18” wheels and go as wide as I can.
      Last edited by elwaupo; 03-01-2018 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Add more words

C5 Z06 wheels and tires; plenty of room in the rear with mini-tubs, but front is tightName:  IMG_20170821_090431_01.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  134.3 KB

Looks good, mine’s not mini tubbed but I think I can run up to a 9” in the rear and 8’ up front and that’s good enough for me, how is your turning radius?

It's not bad; similar to prior having the Camaro steering box.

Ok so ridetech is not the best at customer service so I’ll ask you guys, I’m going to change out my stock Rally 15” Wheels to 17” or 18” wheels and want to know how wide I can go in the front and back? I’m thinking of sticking with an 8” wide in the front, how much back space is really my question for that. And the rear, how wide and back space?

I used 255 on an 8.5 wheel up front and a 275 on a 9.5 in the rear. 5 backspacing up front, 5.5 rear.

Double check the backspacing pending what brake offsets you have....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

For the fronts, run an 8 with either 4.75 or 4 7/8 bs. With your 69 and stock width rear stock tubs you can run a 9.5 wheel in the back with 5.5 bs. Those specs have been run on numerous 69s without any issues. If you decide on 17” wheels, run either a 235 or 245/45-17 in the front and a 275/40-17 in the rear. Hope this helps!
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

With Tru-Turn you can easily run a 255 tire up front.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thanks a lot guys, a lot of good information

Quote Originally Posted by elwaupo View Post
      Ok so ridetech is not the best at customer service so I’ll ask you guys, I’m going to change out my stock Rally 15” Wheels to 17” or 18” wheels and want to know how wide I can go in the front and back? I’m thinking of sticking with an 8” wide in the front, how much back space is really my question for that. And the rear, how wide and back space?
      Hey man, sorry to hear that you didn't have the best experience. Let me see if I can help you out.
      The information that I'm going to provide you with is what we know will work with our arms, some of this may be a little different with your Global West components but should get you pointed in the right direction. I just cant guarantee fitment or performance.

If you wanted to run an 18in wheel in the front, you would need a 5.75" backspace to fit a 275/35-18 tire. The tire may slightly kiss the frame rail or sway bar at full lock, just enough to buff off the paint. Engineering has test fitted a 17X10 on our system with Baer 14in brakes and 6 piston calipers with similar results. If you wanted to run an 8in wide wheel, you shouldn't have any interference in regards to your tire provided you have the correct backspacing and side wall height.

For the rear, do you plan on keeping your stock width rear end and factory tubs, or are you considering upgrading at some point?
      Last edited by JohnJ@RideTech; 03-12-2018 at 04:23 AM.
      John Johnson
      Sales/Tech
      812-481-4737
      [email protected]
      Ridetech.com
      Instagram: @ridetech_john

I’m planning on using my stock 10 bolt and wheel well tubs. I’m planning on running your 4 link next, thanks John

Offset?

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      For the fronts, run an 8 with either 4.75 or 4 7/8 bs. With your 69 and stock width rear stock tubs you can run a 9.5 wheel in the back with 5.5 bs. Those specs have been run on numerous 69s without any issues. If you decide on 17” wheels, run either a 235 or 245/45-17 in the front and a 275/40-17 in the rear. Hope this helps!

What does “offset” mean? I usually see in in “mm”. Will that be a factor when I order my wheels and if it does what are the recommendations for my wheels?

Offset of the mounting surface from the center of the wheel, so another way to specify backspacing. You can use this calculator to convert from offset to backspacing:

https://rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com