Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The C5/10

So I am finally getting around to uploading some more pictures of the progress so far. I have been working on the chassis a lot more. Got all of the laser cut pieces and began the long process of getting them all bent up.

I don't have a break so when the parts were cut, where ever there is a bend we put a small cut. I used this cut to not only make the bends able to be done by hand (with some clever clamping and leverage solutions) but also to make sure the bends are done in the correct location. These will all get welded up during assembly.

Once they are all bent they will get welded up and then attached to the frame in the locator holes and welded up.

That is pretty much where I am at now. I have all but a few pieces of the chassis and then I will be ready to tack up then fully weld everything. Hope to have a rolling chassis by spring.

That's very impressive. Also a great idea starting with a new chassis. I'm going with a No Limit Engineering chassis after I ran a stock modified F100 chassis for a year.
      I cant wait to see more progress.
      Good Luck!

Nice fab work! I am getting ready to build my frame also so very excited to watch your progress.

Thank you Frank. It's not all my idea. My good buddies at Skoon's Hotrods are really the ones who talked me into tackling this and are doing the CAD work, I did the reverse engineering of the original chassis and get to put the puzzle together. I was originally planning on going with all off the shelf stuff with the original chassis but I was easily talked into this route when looking at the $$$.

I have been following along with your build on here and Instagram. Looks like it is going to be a fun truck! Keep up the good work!

Thank you Jaymzz. It has been a ton of work so far but it should all start falling together here pretty soon! As long as it doesn't fall apart when it is done we will be good!

Are you using the original c5 front and rear aluminum crossmembers? I am building a Blazer similar to what you are building and plan on using the original c5 suspension minus the leafs.

Yup, All C5 stuff minus the leafs. The idea is to use as many stock GM components as possible for easy of use if (when) I break something.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by bbalch404 View Post
      Yup, All C5 stuff minus the leafs. The idea is to use as many stock GM components as possible for easy of use if (when) I break something.
      This! I always try to design my stuff to use as many off-the-shelf parts from common cars so a simple failure doesn't crush my whole event. Sometimes I think people get too wrapped up in their design quest for custom and unique to realize that things will break and you have to be able to get it going again. Work smarter, not harder.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

It is a lot easier to find a Napa, Autozone, etc to buy an oem replacement than a machine shop who can make you a 1 off part on a weekend in the middle of nowhere. Don't get me wrong, there will be A LOT of custom stuff but I am trying to keep as many critical components stock (or modified stock) as possible.

Nice project. I'd love to do one of those older full size trucks, but they just aren't comfortable for me to drive due to my size. The seats just don't go back far enough.

Main reason people say you can't race trucks is the front/rear weight balance is off, and causes the truck to break loose a lot easier when you put the coals to it. While you're in the design phase, anything you can do to shift weight rearward would help with this. On my truck build, I plan to shift some of the weight up front rearward, such as putting the battery box behind the passenger rear tire. On my truck at least, there is enough room between the bedside and the frame for a box to be attached to the frame. That shifts some 50lbs rearward, including the tray and wiring which now heads rearward. Also looking at doing a shaft mount electric power steering unit that mounts the motor to the firewall inside the cab. This allows me to install a simple manual rack and pinion under the hood, and remove the power steering pump, hoses, bracketry and fluid. Any weight related to power steering moves to the center of the truck instead of just forward of the front tire centerline. The units look small enough that they should fit behind your dash, and the motor can be clocked to fit.

On air conditioning, worse comes to worse you can load the fresh air intake with ice. The melted water will drain the same way rainwater drains, and from what I hear in the hypermiling world a full load of ice will last most of the day. Bad part, it's cool, humid air. If you plan to drive in the winter, keep in mind that the AC compressor runs when defrost is on which helps clear the glass. Those old trucks weren't set up that way, of course, but with no AC you'll have to deal with foggy glass a lot longer in the winter.

Thanks Vimes. Yea, the main reason I am building this truck is because it isn't something you are supposed to be able to race. I have always been a truck guy and I love proving people wrong so I guess we shall see lol. We are doing a lot to lighten the truck and get the weight distribution better. And I am not too worried about the AC. I don't plan on driving this truck in the rain too much and I live in the Charlotte, NC area so we don't really have "winter" (I say that after we just got about a foot of snow last weekend...) . The gentleman that built the Targa Truck utilized an electric heater that he bolted up under the dash to handle the defrost. I think that is the route I am going to go for heat/defrost. A/C will be provided by mother nature lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bbalch404 View Post
      Thanks Vimes. Yea, the main reason I am building this truck is because it isn't something you are supposed to be able to race. I have always been a truck guy and I love proving people wrong so I guess we shall see lol.
      Same logic I had. I feel excited every time someone asks about mine and I tell them it's for racing. They get this confused look. Priceless.

On A/C, I gutted the factory stuff in favor of Vintage Air. Saved me about 30 lbs off the stock stuff. Still have about 50 lbs of crap to have anything at all, but food for thought down the line if you can't take mother natures air.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

So a much needed and overdue update on the project. Life has a way of getting extremely busy and getting in the way of projects. Thankfully we have made major progress on the chassis since the last post. So instead of typing it all out, here is a huge photo dump (that is what everyone comes to see anyway lol).

And that is where it sits as of today! Cant wait to get the Cab mounted and wheels bolted on!

Awesome!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Great project. I really like how your folded brackets work out.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

I love seeing someone designing and doing their own work! Nice job!

Thank you!

I can't take credit for the design though. I did the reverse engineering of the stock chassis and my good friend Adam from Skoons Hot Rods (https://www.facebook.com/Skoons-Hot-...38635269525594) did the design work. Those guys have built some bad ass hotrods and some of the fastest pro-touring cars out there.

When this is all done, you and Loud and Proud should meet up. He's building his own chassis/suspension for his OBS longbed. lol

Jay

Cool project
      Keep up the good work!
      David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com