Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Weight Sensitive Sound Reduction

I am curious to hear from those that may be in a similar boat.

My car has the entire underside coated with lizard skin ceramic/thermal coating, the inside is coated with raptorliner bedliner. I have some dynamat squares in a few areas of the floors and doors to help calm the resonance in the panel. I am not interested in adding 150+lbs to the car with dynamat.

I would like to hear if you have any other solutions you have found to help reduce the noise of a classic car without adding a ton of weight. Such as
      • Different door vapor barriers [foam?]
      • Wheel well/exterior sound absorption [high frequency tire noise]
      • More strategic dynamat placement
      • Fiberglass-like insulation
      • Tricks for finding hidden openings in the firewall, door seals, window seals, etc.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quiet Ride Solutions. Nice stuff, no hassle installation.
      http://www.quietride.com

You are wise not to cover every inch of your interior with dynamat. It amazes me how many high-end builders add 100+ lbs of this stuff as you mentioned; it's the wrong tool for the job. The purpose of dynamat, or similar, is to calm panel resonance, which only requires a small amount of material (<25% coverage) on large pieces of sheet metal (roof panels, trunk pans, etc).

This website does a good job explaining how to replicate sound deadening packages like those you'd find in a modern car: https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

My advice would be to pick a modern car that has NVH properties you like and copy whatever materials/placement that OEM used.

Bear in mind that new cars have a number of carefully engineered "tricks" (double door seals, quiet steel, acoustically laminated glass, noise cancelling audio systems) that will be almost impossible to match in an old car.

For doors, I like using this stuff: https://www.homedepot.com/p/E-O-12-i...V516/100028603

The guys on the Corvette forum love it too because it's light, cheap, self adhesive, but removable without leaving the nasty residue that dynamat leaves.

For floors, I like to use the typical older car style "jute." It's light and effective.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com