Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

pro-touring '68 firebird...on a budget

What's up everyone? I've actually been a member of the forum for a while now, but I had taken quite a few years off from building the car. Its been sitting under a car cover in the garage as my wife was using it as a shelf. Just this past week I removed all the wifes crap, pulled back the cover, and finished removing the front suspension. I couldn't be more excited to try and get this done for next years cruise nights and what not. I've got a budget of course, and its a relatively low one at this point. I've got some parts already waiting to be installed (hotchkis 2 inch drop springs, hotchkis/bilstein shocks, global west subframe connectors, global west solid body mounts, front end rebuild kit, and a hotchkis front sway bar on the way) As of right now tubular control arms aren't in my budget, so I removed the stockers and I'm having a buddy at work sandblast the 40 years of crap off of them. mostly everything else up front will be replaced with new parts. I also don't have the room to pull the engine and subframe out, I've got a pretty small garage, so I'm actually cleaning the subframe up while its on the car, then I'll just tape everything off and prime/paint it that way, gotta work with what I have!!! I've got a long way to go, but I'll keep updating this thread with pics and let you guys know how I'm doing on the budget.

this is what it went in hibernation looking like

cover pulled back for the first time in about 4 years!

drivers side control arms off, alot of cleaning to do to thesubframe

Off to the sandblaster!!!

More to come..................

Rene P.

My 1968 firebird build thread--->https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...rd-on-a-budget

Nice looking car.
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

Very nice, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress
      Joe M
      '67 Firebird

My build thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...irth&highlight=

Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

68 formula, I actually have that template! I called guldstrand years back and got it. That's another mod to be done!
      Rene P.

My 1968 firebird build thread--->https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...rd-on-a-budget

Good luck with the bird. Looks like she's in pretty good shape to start with.
      69 Firebird Convertible.
      www.stevegarrison.com click Firebird link at bottom of page

Cool. Another bird on this forum. Looks like the car is in great shape to start with.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Nice Bird! Can't wait to see what all you do with it.

welcome BACK!!! love that early bird!
      keep the lower control arms and put either poly bushings or the global west Del-a-lum sets, and do a Guldstrand mod on the top its free and works well and the later get some global west tube upper arms and your good! and rockin the budget!

looking good!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

Quote Originally Posted by Nor-Cal Speed View Post
      welcome BACK!!! love that early bird!
      keep the lower control arms and put either poly bushings or the global west Del-a-lum sets, and do a Guldstrand mod on the top its free and works well and the later get some global west tube upper arms and your good! and rockin the budget!
      Yup, I've got poly bushings going in. I do have one question, should I get the offset shafts for the upper arms or just clean up the stockers and use those? I'm not sure if the offsets make much of a difference, especially after doing the guldstrand mod.
      Rene P.

Quote Originally Posted by 68firebird View Post
      Yup, I've got poly bushings going in. I do have one question, should I get the offset shafts for the upper arms or just clean up the stockers and use those? I'm not sure if the offsets make much of a difference, especially after doing the guldstrand mod.
      Definitely go offset shafts or you're going to be shimming the heck out of the arms to get a minimum static camber. I can't believe how many shims it took just to get -1° static camber. Makes me a little nervous having all those in there.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

More Firebirds on here every week it seems. I like it! Car looks nice good luck with the mods.

1968 Firebird. Owed and operated since 1981. 455 5 speed 4 link mini-tubed ect.....

Ok, just a couple of minor updates. Got the old bushings and ball joints out of the drivers side control arms today at work, and the control arms are just about done being sandblasted (got a buddy at work doing the blasting for me). I'll probably have those back before the weekend to get them primed and painted. Tonight I started cleaning up the subframe of all the grease and grime, much more cleaning needed. I wish I could pull the motor out and the front clip off to take the subframe out and be able to clean it better, I just don't have the room!!! oh well, I'll just have to spend a bit more time and effort to make sure its really cleaned well. Man I wish I had more time to work on this on a daily basis.
      Rene P.

Awesome! Thank you for sharing this
      Long Live the Muscle Car

small update: drivers side control arms and both steering arms are blasted, primed and painted, now on to the passenger side control arms...

Rene P.

Keep up the great work. I would also go with the offset upper shafts. It will help a lot when it comes to shimming.

Looking good !
      Thanks for sharing.
      David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

looks good.. im trying to talk my buddy into starting his dads 69 bird that has been siting 10 years or so..

keep it up - looking good
      Don
      Grace - 67 Camaro daily driver with upgrades along the way.

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Camaro-Driver

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com