Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Collapsible steering column

I want to use a collapsible steering column for my 55 Chevy build. I like the Ididit column, and my second choice would be the Flaming River. My question is what else is needed to make it work properly, specifically the mounting? Do the mounts need to break away upon impact? Would both mounts need to give, or just one? For my application, using the stock rigid upper mount would make life easy. I will be using an aftermarket or fabricated lower mount either way so I can incorporate whatever necessary there. Thanks for any advise.

need more info.
      I know a lot of those steering columns are not collapsible, maybe they are making some that are now. a solid mount at the dash should be fine if there is allowance for movement forward of that location. the lower mount should only constrain the column up & down and side to side, but not axially. If the column is truly collapsible then you can mount rigid on both ends. if it is not you may want to consider building a steering shaft with a couple of joints to allow the shaft to make some form of a Z- bend. this is easier to do when converting to rack and pinion, and sometimes not so easy when using a gear box. I know some manufacturers have used a joint that is engineered to shear in a collision, but I'm not sure if you can find anything aftermarket that would do that.

in the end your goal is to keep the steering shaft from being pushed towards you if your engine compartment (or possibly even the toe box portion of your interior) was to be crushed.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Country Flag: United States
      Morrison chassis with rack and pinion, right? You have already achieved a margin of safety as the ujoints are off set so the frontal impact can not be transferred directly to the column.

IDIDIT does a collapsible column. They have upper and lower mounts that meet the required specifications. https://www.ididitinc.com/i-25049521...tegory:1310157

https://www.ididitinc.com/i-25048738...psible%26go%3D
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Morrison chassis with rack and pinion, right? You have already achieved a margin of safety as the ujoints are off set so the frontal impact can not be transferred directly to the column.

IDIDIT does a collapsible column. They have upper and lower mounts that meet the required specifications. https://www.ididitinc.com/i-25049521...tegory:1310157

https://www.ididitinc.com/i-25048738...psible%26go%3D
      Yes, Morrison chassis w/ front mounted rack. Do you think it would be ok to use the stock upper mount and then Ididit firewall mount https://www.ididitinc.com/i-25049640...tegory:1310158 for the lower mount Good point on how then steering shaft with is offset, that does make me feel a little safer. It doesn't cost much more to get the collapsible column so I may as well get on for added safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachalanche View Post
      need more info.
      I know a lot of those steering columns are not collapsible, maybe they are making some that are now. a solid mount at the dash should be fine if there is allowance for movement forward of that location. the lower mount should only constrain the column up & down and side to side, but not axially. If the column is truly collapsible then you can mount rigid on both ends. if it is not you may want to consider building a steering shaft with a couple of joints to allow the shaft to make some form of a Z- bend. this is easier to do when converting to rack and pinion, and sometimes not so easy when using a gear box. I know some manufacturers have used a joint that is engineered to shear in a collision, but I'm not sure if you can find anything aftermarket that would do that.

in the end your goal is to keep the steering shaft from being pushed towards you if your engine compartment (or possibly even the toe box portion of your interior) was to be crushed.
      I'm using a chassis with a front mounted rack. Here's a link to the column I'm looking at https://www.ididitinc.com/i-25048738...psible%26go%3D. And possibly this lower mount https://www.ididitinc.com/i-25049640...tegory:1310158

That lower mount would probably work fine in that application. A collapsible column can collapse from either end, that is why the upper mount I linked has shear pins in it. In your particular car, that seems like the greater threat.

Are you using a floor shifter? I don't think they can do a column shift collapsible.

Are you willing to modify the dash or new column to get them to play nice together? The bell on a universal column is different than the retrofit for that car....may cause issues, may not.

If it were mine, I would just use the standard retrofit.
      Donny

Yes floor shifter, I'm running a LS3 w/ a T-56.

I think I could adapt that mount you linked to the dash, because you're probably right that there is more risk of me hitting the column than the column coming up to me.

On a 55 Chevy the universal columns fit the dash and bezel really nice. There is a chrome bezel that surrounds the column and it has a rubber seal. The cone on the column can butt up to the seal and it looks really clean.

Are you suggesting that I do not use a collapsible column? It would make for a much easier install if I don't. It was only a small price increase to get a collapsible column so I thought that it wouldn't be a bad idea.

There is also 2" vs 2.25" on the tube diameter.

I won't suggest to not use a collapsible column, I just said what I would do it were mine.
      Donny

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      There is also 2" vs 2.25" on the tube diameter.

I won't suggest to not use a collapsible column, I just said what I would do it were mine.
      Yes the Ididit column I'm looking at is 2" at the bottom and 2.25" at the upper end. Those dimensions will work in my car.

Thanks for the info Donny.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com