Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Chevelle 2.0

Country Flag: United States
      Absolutely epic!! MY memory lately is such trash, that I went through your thread to enjoy the goodness, and realized I had posted twice already lol. Third time around and I'm still digging every aspect, great job man. If we ever happen to be at Gingerman at the same time, I'll be sure to park mine behind the outhouse to avoid comparison to yours.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      She is looking mean!

Andrew
      Thanks Andrew!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech442 View Post
      Absolutely epic!! MY memory lately is such trash, that I went through your thread to enjoy the goodness, and realized I had posted twice already lol. Third time around and I'm still digging every aspect, great job man. If we ever happen to be at Gingerman at the same time, I'll be sure to park mine behind the outhouse to avoid comparison to yours.
      Thanks! I'm hoping to be at Gingerman next year so keep a look out for me!
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Last weekend I brought the Chevelle to the Northeast Musclecar Challenge. This was the first road course I've had it on and it impressed me. It went where I pointed it, the power was awesome, it felt planted, and considering the brakes are standard Baer 6P with Bluestuff pads, it stopped on a dime! So overall the car did well, placed about mid pack on the road course and autox. With more seat time, it can only get better!

Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Awesome job. That road course looks like a blast. Love the car

Amazing build with outstanding craftsmanship. Did you tint your side glass or is that the grey tinted glass kit you can buy?
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Herb, as I said a year and a half ago, your build is humbling to many of us. I have just finished my 67 Chevelle and it would be great to have a picture of them side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by thumper877 View Post
      Awesome job. That road course looks like a blast. Love the car
      Thanks! And yes Pittrace is a fun track!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
      Amazing build with outstanding craftsmanship. Did you tint your side glass or is that the grey tinted glass kit you can buy?
      Thanks! The windows were tinted many moons ago when I was stationed in VA.

Quote Originally Posted by F pilot View Post
      Herb, as I said a year and a half ago, your build is humbling to many of us. I have just finished my 67 Chevelle and it would be great to have a picture of them side by side.
      Thanks! The Chevelle is always willing to get in front of a camera!
      Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Last weekend I entered the Chevelle in the optima USCA event at NCM. Overall it was a good time but there are still some teething pains that I need to work out, but mainly I need to learn how to drive this thing!

On Saturday morning I was having a hard time getting around the autox. The course was a bit long in areas to stay in first, so I had to shift into second. I'm trying to learn left foot braking but when I throw in a shift here and there, things didn't work out the best! In the afternoon I went back to right foot braking and added some compression to the rear shocks and things started to improve to the tune of dropping about 7 seconds off my morning runs.

On Sunday was the road course, which was fun but I noticed a vibration in the car after going into a turn a little too hot and driving over the rumble strips (more like huge speed bumps). By the third session I decided to come in and not chance it with the vibes getting worse.

One of the coolest things of this event - and a huge surprise to me - I won the Driver's Choice award! That was nice knowing my fellow drivers liked my car enough to select it.

After I unpacked the trailer, I put the car on the lift to inspect it and everything structural is still in tact! All my welds look good, nothing is bent, and the wheels are still round! I think the vibrations are coming from the clutch, but I won't know for sure until I have a chance to pull the trans.

20211008_134713 by Yelcamino, on Flickr

20211009_170451 by Yelcamino, on Flickr

20211009_173705 by Yelcamino, on Flickr

herb-lumpp-1966-chevrolet-chevelle-driveoptima-ncm-2021-(107) by Yelcamino, on Flickr

IMG_0892 by Yelcamino, on Flickr

IMG_0899 by Yelcamino, on Flickr

20211010_180119 by Yelcamino, on Flickr
      Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Congrats on the award, that's huge! Great looking car man, I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
      Congrats on the award, that's huge! Great looking car man, I love it!
      Thanks Bob!
      Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

What a cool car.

Quote Originally Posted by F pilot View Post
      What a cool car.
      Thanks!
      Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Yelcamino View Post
      10132 by Yelcamino, on Flickr
      Absolutely incredible project! How are you managing the interface between the body and the new floor/cage you've built? Did you add a lip around the edges (dash, side sills, parcel shelf) and some sort of sealer or rubber gasket? Have you had to reinforce the body shell so it doesn't flex or warp when lifting on/off?

Quote Originally Posted by ProTouringMan View Post
      Absolutely incredible project! How are you managing the interface between the body and the new floor/cage you've built? Did you add a lip around the edges (dash, side sills, parcel shelf) and some sort of sealer or rubber gasket? Have you had to reinforce the body shell so it doesn't flex or warp when lifting on/off?
      Thanks! The body was only removed to make it easier to build the cage. Once all the construction was completed, the body was permanently attached to the chassis. After I had the body positioned, I bolted it to the frame using the two original body mounts under the firewall, the two at the rear bumper, and the two core support mounts. From there I welded the body to the frame at the door sills. Next I replaced sheetmetal at the firewall and the rear bulkhead between the interior and the trunk. I still need to attach the A pillars to the cage, which I'll do when I get a new windshield.
      Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Yelcamino View Post
      Thanks! The body was only removed to make it easier to build the cage. Once all the construction was completed, the body was permanently attached to the chassis. After I had the body positioned, I bolted it to the frame using the two original body mounts under the firewall, the two at the rear bumper, and the two core support mounts. From there I welded the body to the frame at the door sills. Next I replaced sheetmetal at the firewall and the rear bulkhead between the interior and the trunk. I still need to attach the A pillars to the cage, which I'll do when I get a new windshield.
      Thanks for the great reply Yelcamino. Did you switch from polyurethane body mounts to solid? Do you plan on mating the cage to the more locations in addition to the A pillars such as the B pillars behind the doors?

Sorry for asking so many specific questions, installing a roll cage in an older framed vehicle comes with interesting choices - especially when the original frame rails are inside the seat rails.

Quote Originally Posted by ProTouringMan View Post
      Thanks for the great reply Yelcamino. Did you switch from polyurethane body mounts to solid? Do you plan on mating the cage to the more locations in addition to the A pillars such as the B pillars behind the doors?

Sorry for asking so many specific questions, installing a roll cage in an older framed vehicle comes with interesting choices - especially when the original frame rails are inside the seat rails.
      You're welcome! The body mount positions I used are directly to the frame, no bushings of any sort. I think the A pillar connections will be enough.
      Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com