Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1965 Mustang C4 Suspension Build

I started this project several years ago in college, pre-marriage, pre-house, pre-two boys, and pre-real job. It has sat now for over four years taking up space. I have posted some stuff on this build on a few other forums but as the years went by I have got a little older and maybe a little wiser. The scope of my build has gone in a lot of direction but I think I finally have a solid plan and with that I think this is probably the best place to start over and post my updates. I figure I could start with a render I made in photoshop. I got the background from a image I found with google so hopefully no one gets offended because I don't own the rights to the background.

I'll spare you all the rest of the back story and just pick up with my current progress. If you notice the 5.0 badge in the render, then you probably already guessed that I plan to stuff the new coyote under the hood but before that the plan is to finish swapping a corvette C4 IFS and IRS which I am working on at the moment.

The fender flares were purchased at www.sn65.com. They were necessary due to the additional width of the C4 suspension and I think they look pretty good too. I probably should have spent some more time assembling this first one though.

I drew up some coilover mounts and ran some FEA on them with a 3000 lbs load (roughly 2 times the maximum force require to fully compress the spring.)

For those interested, my springs are 2.5" 375# and the coilovers are QA1 DS402 Promo Star single adjustable.

These tabs are only temporary, once I have everything set I'll cut all my plates and tabs at work with our laser cutter so it actually looks decent.

Thats about it, hopefully in light of some new found free time I can continue this project through to a substantial point (I don't know if these things ever end).

Cool build! Looking forward to updates!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Cool build! Looking forward to updates!

Andrew
      Thanks, I'm going to try can keep posting pictures. Here are a few from the IRS install from last week.

Another look at the temporary batwing mounts.

I originally thought I was going to be forced to notch the interior panel to make room for the control arm bracket. This somewhat bummed me out because I have two boys and I wanted to be able to install the rear seat. Fortunately it all worked out as you can see here, the panel covers the entire bracket.

Looking back I should have spent some more time calculating my cuts on the passenger side. I have a little bit of patch work to do but all in all I'm really happy with install so far.

I've seen a few of your posts in other threads, and finally remembered to check this out. Any pics from the fastback conversion? I like where this is headed.

Jay

Hey Jay, I can post a few old ones here for sure.

I made some more progress on the IRS install as well. First I removed the factory shock mount plate.

Then reinforced the frame where I wanted to mount the crossmember (sorry bad cell phone pictures)

Got the crossmember mounted but I don't know if I'm happy with its final location, I may need to notch the ends a little more so I can move it forward about half an inch. I want to mount the coilovers to the bottom of the crossmember when it's all said and done.

Had a little bit of a disappointing day though, I got outbid on a wrecked 2014 mustang GT. With the price of a coyote mated with the MT82 being around $6500 I'm finding I can pretty much get the whole car at a salvage auction for less.

Anyways, I have a lead on a 2011 3.7L V6 with the MT82. Comes with the brain/harness and a brand new clutch and fly wheel assembly all for the low price of $2800. This got me thinking about throwing it in this project. I'm not so worried about the fab work involved but given there is no ford racing harness for the 3.7L V6 I'm not so sure it would be the easiest swap. I'm pretty good with car stereos and wiring diagram and whatnot but I have never messed with a mega squirt or really done any custom tuning (not that I'm not open to learning though). So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good build where someone actually swapped one of these v6's in their ride. From the little reading I did you really can't use the stock ecu because the anti left is almost impossible to hack or its not worth trying to use. That would leave a mega squirt or some other aftermarket system I'm guessing... (This will probably really show how ignorant I am when it comes to engine management) but I don't know if the direct injection would complicate things as well. Then there is the issue with the A/C compressor and power steering pump. I would have the same problem with the coyote but at least there are kits available to help with that. I could always fab something in a pinch if I had though.

Then there is also a wrecked 2001 camaro that will be auctioned off next week that I am considering. It would actually be a much easier swap. If the price is right I might snag it. The T56 is a great tranny and the LS1 would fit really nicely between my c4 crossmember.... any thoughts?

Any updates on the built?

You might contact BC Broncos or Fat Fender Garage, they are truck oriented but both have done the V6 swap.
      Good Luck!
      Dan
      2,500th member!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com