Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Clutch master mounting

I'm looking for alternatives to the bent bracket mounting approach for l the clutch master. I came across the Silversport design and really like it but I'm shocked by the price. It uses a machined adapter to directly mount a Wilwood master to the firewall opening. A plate inside the firewall reinforces the opening and because it mounts over the original opening it should be easy to make weather tight.

Does anyone else make a similar mounting arrangement?

Name:  20200701_154004.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  238.4 KB
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Have you looked at Modern Driveline? For the record, I use the Siver State (bought when it was Keisler) setup in my GTO and use the Modern Driveling setup in the Cougar.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

For my application (70 Nova) it looks like Modern Driveline uses the bent plate adapter. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
      For my application (70 Nova) it looks like Modern Driveline uses the bent plate adapter. Thanks for the suggestion though.
      How about Bowler?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      How about Bowler?

Andrew
      Thanks for the recommendation Andrew, but ours is very similar to the Modern one as well. We use the plate that DSE builds and we add the rest of the parts needed to complete the kit.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Craig@Bowler View Post
      Thanks for the recommendation Andrew, but ours is very similar to the Modern one as well. We use the plate that DSE builds and we add the rest of the parts needed to complete the kit.
      Craig,

Didn't you guys have a billet mount at some point? Maybe I was thinking about something else....it all blurs after a while...LOL

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I have the SST one posted by the OP, I like it a lot. I can't imagine any other way of mounting it to be honest and just thought they were all like that.

The fluid reservoir and mounting plate is cheap crap tho, I went with this and ran a billet reservoir like the RB and EM: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/EMS-MS110-71BA

I think SST offers the RB w/bracket as an upgrade to that package if you call them.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Thanks for the reply Anguilla. What are "RB" and "EM"? Is RB remote bleeder?

I emailed SST and they will sell me just the master side of their hydraulic arrangement without their slave. The slave looks like it has just a single line coming off with a teed-in bleeder; I am concerned that might be tough to bleed. They quoted $299 for the items circled which I think is very reasonable.

Name:  sst hydraulics.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  85.4 KB

Ring Brothers and Eddie Motorsports are the ones who make the billet reservoirs I mentioned to work with that Wilwood brake master bracket I linked to.

Their slave is a piece of cake to bleed with that single line.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Thanks for the feedback, that's good to hear. What method did you use to bleed it? Are you running more stuff from SST? They provided a very comprehensive quote for me. Some items seem to have a high premium, but I like how thorough they are and it might be worth a premium for everything to be pieced together already.

I prefer a translucent reservoir so I can easily check fluid level.

I bleed it just like you would brakes, with someone in the car pushing the clutch pedal following my commands. Upon initial installation, gravity bleed it and you're good to go to start regular bleeding.

I bought my entire Magnum kit from SST. I'm very happy with the quality of all the parts including the RAM clutch and the DynoTech driveshaft. Their adjustable crossmember was top notch too. There were several things I upgraded on my own tho, like the fluid reservoir, shifter boot, lever, etc. Small things. I made sure also to get all ARP fasteners for things like the flywheel (from SST).
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
      Thanks for the reply Anguilla. What are "RB" and "EM"? Is RB remote bleeder?

I emailed SST and they will sell me just the master side of their hydraulic arrangement without their slave. The slave looks like it has just a single line coming off with a teed-in bleeder; I am concerned that might be tough to bleed. They quoted $299 for the items circled which I think is very reasonable.

Name:  sst hydraulics.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  85.4 KB
      Clint,

That's basically the same parts that I bought for the GTO. Been very happy with the setup.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Craig,

Didn't you guys have a billet mount at some point? Maybe I was thinking about something else....it all blurs after a while...LOL

Andrew
      Yes, we use a billet angle adapter with the firewall plate to get the push rod alignment set correctly when using a Tilton or Wilwood master. It looks like this when put together.
      Name:  bowler-1967-1969-gm-f-body-hydraulic-master-cylinder-kit_fae8a04e-35da-45f4-b043-c5b0ac3ae6eb_18.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  18.9 KB
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Craig@Bowler View Post
      Yes, we use a billet angle adapter with the firewall plate to get the push rod alignment set correctly when using a Tilton or Wilwood master. It looks like this when put together.
      Name:  bowler-1967-1969-gm-f-body-hydraulic-master-cylinder-kit_fae8a04e-35da-45f4-b043-c5b0ac3ae6eb_18.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  18.9 KB
      I like that arrangement! What's the stroke of that style MC?
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com