Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Tremec magnum shifter

Looking for a shifter for my magnum. I don't care for the factory tremec shifter. It looks like the only options are the white lightning or Hurst blackjack shifter. Anyone have a preference on either? Are there other options?

Bowler has a nice selection on their website

Hurst

I have the Hurst Blackjack in a Camaro and so far I like it a lot. Nice tight gates, shifts flawlessly. No leaks yet...
      Attached Images Attached Images  

That's a big concern is leaking, but glad yours isn't. Where on bowlers site are you seeing this selection? I went on there site and didn't see anything.

I liked the feel of the white lightening shifter. Going to buy 1 at the next good guys

I'm happy with the White Lightening, no leaks either.

I have a Black Jack on my magnum and it is smooth and hasn't leaked yet.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Quote Originally Posted by 1985olds View Post
      That's a big concern is leaking, but glad yours isn't. Where on bowlers site are you seeing this selection? I went on there site and didn't see anything.
      Here's a link for you.https://www.bowlertransmissions.com/...e-replacement/

We call it our Night Stick shifter. The website only shows the OE style replacement, but we will have various offsets ready to go in a couple weeks once the parts are finished machining. We've been testing this design for over a year now with zero leakage.

Here's a little more info from the website description.
      The NightStick line of shifters was created as a short-throw, low profile shifting mechanism that performs as well as it looks. Finished in a sleek midnight black anodize and the unmistakable Bowler “B” logo, the new NightStick combines the ball and socket shift stub found on the Viper spec 6-speed with an original base plate design that eliminates oil leakage around the shift stub socket. This new design utilizes a wavering with snap-ring retention to keep constant pressure on the ball socket enclosure eliminating the ability for fluid to leak up past the shift stub. The composite ball used on the shift stub creates a smooth feel with no rattle.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Country Flag: Canada
      I have seen a lot of favorable reviews for these shifters.
      https://www.mgwshifters.com/products

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenova View Post
      I have seen a lot of favorable reviews for these shifters.
      https://www.mgwshifters.com/products

Ken
      Thank you for the suggestion, but it doesn't appear that they have a 6 bolt magnum shifter.

Debating between the bowler and blackjack now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1985olds View Post
      Thank you for the suggestion, but it doesn't appear that they have a 6 bolt magnum shifter.

Debating between the bowler and blackjack now.
      I'm considering the same -- please keep us posted with your experience! Looking on some late model threads, it does sound like MGW is preferred but as you mention doesn't have an application. Since Bowler's is so new, I haven't seen any reviews, especially side by side with Hurst.
      1970 Chevelle - CA car, 45k orig miles
      427 Shafiroff, T56 magnum, 12 bolt 3.90
      Rick's restomod tank, ZL1 pump

Quote Originally Posted by downl50 View Post
      I'm considering the same -- please keep us posted with your experience! Looking on some late model threads, it does sound like MGW is preferred but as you mention doesn't have an application. Since Bowler's is so new, I haven't seen any reviews, especially side by side with Hurst.

Will do, hopefully when I get home in March I can get a new shifter installed. I'm doing power tour in June and will hopefully get a lot of wheel time. It's a shame mgw doesn't have a magnum style shifter

Following this thread.

Anyone experiencing the "T56 Magnum" shifter rattle with these aftermarket assemblies? My stock Tremec shifter makes a ton of noise.

I also like the idea of being able to install an offset arm, I need one that favors the driver's side and back.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      Following this thread.

Anyone experiencing the "T56 Magnum" shifter rattle with these aftermarket assemblies? My stock Tremec shifter makes a ton of noise.

I also like the idea of being able to install an offset arm, I need one that favors the driver's side and back.
      Curious about the rattle in the aftermarket shifters now too after I saw your thread.

any rattles?

1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

I'm seriously considering a sequential shifter despite the price tag. I have really come to hate the stock Tremec shifter on track days.

I have have been watching the S1 sequential shifter for a couple of years while they develop it.

https://www.s1sequential.com/product...er-t56-magnum/

I also ran across a new Bremer sequential shifter that just debuted at SEMA that I need to look at.

https://www.bremershifters.com/
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Another one I don't see mentioned is the SilverSportTransmission (Shiftsst.com) STX (street/track/autoX) shifter.
      The write up looks good - as I suppose it should - it says the right things, no leak, shorter shifts, etc.
      In any event, I'd like to see a review or roadtest from someone that has bought either the Bowler NightStick or Silversport STX - it seems these are the only current options for magnum users.
      I have to get one and before I drop $400 I'd like an idea of how they work. One thing that concerns me is the emphasis they both put on the leaking issue and the other elements likey throw, durability, noise all seem to be secondary...
      The model specific guys seem to have several proven options.

Core-shifters.com is another to look at. Their shifters are based off the Hurst but are modified/improved/upgraded. They have applications for Tremec magnum, including "mid" position as well as shifters for many of the current production vehicles (camaro, gto, vette, mustang, etc.)
      Sounds interesting, but without any actual user feedback it's hard to tell?

Quote Originally Posted by pixel View Post
      Another one I don't see mentioned is the SilverSportTransmission (Shiftsst.com) STX (street/track/autoX) shifter.
      The write up looks good - as I suppose it should - it says the right things, no leak, shorter shifts, etc.
      In any event, I'd like to see a review or roadtest from someone that has bought either the Bowler NightStick or Silversport STX - it seems these are the only current options for magnum users.
      I have to get one and before I drop $400 I'd like an idea of how they work. One thing that concerns me is the emphasis they both put on the leaking issue and the other elements likey throw, durability, noise all seem to be secondary...
      The model specific guys seem to have several proven options.

I felt the sst stx shifter on power tour, seems like a nice piece. The shift is very nice. I spoke to the sst rep and he claims no issues with leaks. I still haven't pulled the trigger on any shifter yet, haven't had a chance due to work.

I've got the Hurst Blackjack shifter on my Magnum. I have used Hurst shifters my entire life and figured they know what they are doing. I like it, it is smooth, positive, no leaks, and no problems. I have not had it on the track yet, but plenty of street driving with traffic and some fun stuff, it certainly fits the bill for me. I have it in a 67 Camaro behind and LS3.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com