Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Need Trailer Recommendations

I’m looking for an enclosed trailer to take my 69 camaro to the occasional track day. And there’s a good chance the car will spend some time stored in it as well. Can you guys recommend sizes and options? I have an F250, so pulling it shouldn’t be a problem. However, I don’t want a 50’ trailer. I’m thinking something in 20’-24’ range. Any suggestions on width?
      Dude are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

Country Flag: United States
      I have an ATC Raven. Its 8.5'x20' with 7' height. It doesn't have a ton of extra space so if you're looking to have a workbench or carry extra tires or race gear I would recommend a 24' minimum. The 20' trailer is perfect for me though. I went out to Illinois to pick up my car and the trailer pulled beautifully on the 1600 mile round trip. The option I would most recommend is the Premium Escape Door. Makes loading and unloading the car a snap.

Name:  Trailer7.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  96.7 KB
      Name:  Trailer5.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  95.4 KB
      Name:  Trailer6.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  149.0 KB

69 Cougar
      Schwartz Chassis
      5.0 Coyote
      T-56 Magnum 6 Speed
      Baer Brakes

I have a 30'. I was apprehensive about the length but got a good deal on it. I have not had any trouble pulling it (I also have a single wheel 3/4 ton). I don't think I would go any shorter than 24' for your needs.

lxg44 that's a nice car!!! I love the color!

I don't think I've ever seen a door like that on a car trailer. It's a great idea! Was it an expensive option?

I don't necessarily need the extra space, but from my cart racing days I remember starting out with what seemed like a ton of space and then ended up filling it with all sorts of junk. I think it would be convenient to have space for a little generator, small tool box, some folding chairs, etc. I don't plan to start race program here, but if I go somewhere for a day with the car it would be nice to have space to put all the extra stuff that's out of the weather.

CSG, trailer length is a bit of a juggling act. Barring finding a great deal like you did, I'd really like to stay somewhere in the 20'-24' range (I think) just from a parking and storage standpoint. Pulling a trailer down the road is the easy part. It's what happens when you get where you're going that can get a little tricky

Dont go any shorter than 22'-24'. I have a 20 with a work bench and toolbox for my 66 mustang and its tight. 8.5 is the standard width

Door open door is the greatest thing ever, but costs quite a bit. I have foam on the wall and use towels to protect the door because it is a tight fit.
      1966 Mustang Coupe
      5.0 EFI- T5

Quote Originally Posted by AU Doc View Post
      lxg44 that's a nice car!!! I love the color!

I don't think I've ever seen a door like that on a car trailer. It's a great idea! Was it an expensive option?

I don't necessarily need the extra space, but from my cart racing days I remember starting out with what seemed like a ton of space and then ended up filling it with all sorts of junk. I think it would be convenient to have space for a little generator, small tool box, some folding chairs, etc. I don't plan to start race program here, but if I go somewhere for a day with the car it would be nice to have space to put all the extra stuff that's out of the weather.

CSG, trailer length is a bit of a juggling act. Barring finding a great deal like you did, I'd really like to stay somewhere in the 20'-24' range (I think) just from a parking and storage standpoint. Pulling a trailer down the road is the easy part. It's what happens when you get where you're going that can get a little tricky
      Thanks on the complement. The extra large escape do is about a $1,700 option but worth every penny to me. With my car loaded there is room in the front for some gear like the folding chairs, small generator and small tool box you suggested. But not much more. I'd say I have about 2-1/2 foot of space in front of the front bumper. The trailer is aluminum so its pretty light. Loaded with may car it weighs in around 6500#'s. When I originally bought the trailer I had an F150 so I was trying to keep the weight down. If I were to do it again, now that I have an F250, I probably would have gone with a 24' just to have the extra space.

Hope this helps

69 Cougar
      Schwartz Chassis
      5.0 Coyote
      T-56 Magnum 6 Speed
      Baer Brakes

Look at "High End" USED trailers rather than a new trailer. You will get so much "Mo Trailer" for your money with a high end used trailer rather than a new medium or lower grade trailer. You might actually spend the same amount of money for a high end used trailer as a medium grade trailer HOWEVER the difference in quality and usefulness will be apparent.

Consider Featherlite, Exiss and others in the high end trailer business. High end trailers retain their value much better than cheap trailers and they last forever!

My 1989 Featherlite enclosed is almost 30 years old, still looks good, functions like a new one and is STILL worth more than I paid for it years ago when I bought it!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

I have a 28' ATC Raven with the premium escape door. My opinion is the same boat as lxg44. The door is great. I was on the fence about spending the extra money, but it is well worth it. I have a buddy with the standard escape door and it is useless. Our cars are to low to even open the door with a standard escape door.

The only thing I can complain about the my trailer is the placement of the d rings from the factory. With only my car in the trailer I was only able to get 300 pounds tongue weight with the car as far forward as it would go. I order the 28' to be able to fit my car and golf cart. with the cart loaded this isn't an issue. I added 4 additional d rings for towing without the cart and everything is good now.

Jason Mitchell
      1969 Camaro @ Dutchboys

It's interesting this came up again. I'd put this on the back burner, but the car broke down a couple weeks ago and I had to have someone with a trailer come get me.

That said, I think I've decided to buy an open trailer, instead. For my use it will be more versatile, and since I don't plan on trailering the car a lot, it really makes more sense to have a multi-purpose trailer (e.g., hauling long lumber and other construction material). It's also easier to hide a flat trailer in my yard so that it won't be visible from the road. Add all that to the fact that it's much cheaper, and it's just a better fit.

If my car was strictly a show car, or if I planned on hauling it for thousands of miles at a time, an enclosed trailer would probably be the way to go.

Thanks for all the input!

If your going open, then check out Jim Glo https://www.jimglo.com/ego best open trailer out there. The only problem with them, no used ones out there. Rarely see a used one for sale, when you do, they go quick.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com