Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1977 Trans Am LS1/T56 Build

Hi All,

I wanted to create a thread to log the progress of my 1977 T/A project. This project will be a slow moving project but the plan is to take my time and do this on somewhat of a budget. I'll give details on the car and what the plans are, etc.

Backstory:
      I've been an fbody guy for a long time, I've owned mostly 3rd gens. But about a year and a half ago a family member was moving and had this 77 T/A tucked away in his garage, I got it basically for a song, I know it's rough but this is the kind of project I've always wanted, 2nd gens have always been a favorite of mine, so this was too good of an opportunity to pass up. the plans for the car is to make it a well rounded driver / it will probably see very little track time, if any, but would like it to handle well in case the want to go racing arises

The car is an authentic 77 T/A with the TH350 auto trans and W72 400 Pontiac engine. I was looking into what it would take to build up the 400 and do a manual swap and after doing all my research i decided doing a t56 swap to the 400 would make the most sense, but it looked like the best t56 to swap would be from and LS1 fbody car. so after finding a donor car for the transmission and doing even more research on my engine build, I decided that it was going to make more sense for me to do the whole LS1/T56 swap instead of worrying about building up the 400. I know that is going to make some people mad, but best band for the buck the LS1 just seems to make more sense for me (cheapness of building, fuel injected, decent fuel economy, etc, etc). so my donor car is a 98 Z28 car from TN that has just over 100k miles and is completely stock, the plan is to use as many parts from the donor car as possible and part the rest of it out.

Plan:
      Mildly Built LS1 (lookin to get in the 400hp+ range) (Cam/Intake/Tune/exhaust/etc)
      Rebuild the T56 and upgrade to an LS7 clutch
      Upgrade Suspension for better handling
      Fix body issues (replace panels to remove rust issues)
      Paint
      fix any broken interior pieces/panels

I know this is super simplified plan, but ya'll get the general idea. The first step is going to be pulling the car apart and build a cart/dolly to put the shell on to start working on. after that I'll be figuring out what parts can be sold off and what needs to stay (engine/trans/etc) and then I can start on body work and so forth. excited to get started on this project. (the 98 is a salvage title car, so don't worry about me parting out a "good" car)

Name:  IMG_20170901_201317.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  331.1 KBName:  FB_IMG_1484062535388.jpg
Views: 2367
Size:  111.9 KB

Country Flag: Turkey
      Looks like the U.S. version of my story. Beat up 74 firebird body with hell of a nice engine... What i can advice You is before You make the swap, upgrade Your pcm to a 411. 98 pcms are junk. They fry so easily while tuning. And with 411 You'll get far more parameters for precise tuning. If you want to go bigger, you can resleeve the block too.
      Being handsome is only skin deep. But Badass goes to the bone.
      Mert Celet

Country Flag: United States
      looks like a pretty solid car compared to what i see around here. My Dad had a 78 when i was a kid as well as others. I saw one locally last year with an ls motor, they just attached the shaker to the hood.
      "Racing is life. Everything else is just, waiting"

Quote Originally Posted by mert.celet View Post
      Looks like the U.S. version of my story. Beat up 74 firebird body with hell of a nice engine... What i can advice You is before You make the swap, upgrade Your pcm to a 411. 98 pcms are junk. They fry so easily while tuning. And with 411 You'll get far more parameters for precise tuning. If you want to go bigger, you can resleeve the block too.
      yea the 411 computer is on the list of parts to buy, I think the LS1 will probably stay stock regarding bore/stroke, but not 100% on all the details for that yet, I built a website for a local machine shop so they are building me an engine in return, I just have to contribute money for some parts.

Quote Originally Posted by xsboost90 View Post
      looks like a pretty solid car compared to what i see around here. My Dad had a 78 when i was a kid as well as others. I saw one locally last year with an ls motor, they just attached the shaker to the hood.
      I'm hoping to make the shaker functional, we will see!

On a side note, I am trying to get a parts list for my build and I keep avoiding suspension because that is one thing that I am just not the most knowledgable about.

I would like to upgrade my suspension in stages if possible, currently the car is entirely stock, but everything is worn out, bushings are shot, I have a broken spring on the front passenger side, etc. first steps for the car is really to get it back on the road, and then later on down the road I will get it more performance oriented.

I would like the car to sit a bit lower than stock, but with the aluminum LS engine that is going in it, I know the front suspension will have to have a little extra consideration put into that. any input on where to start would be nice. let's say I start my suspension budget around $1000-$1500, what can i get to help future proof it so that I can continue to upgrade in the future?

any help is would be appreciated.

I've run my '78 TA on factory control arms with 750# springs and double adjustable shocks on all corners and have done very well in autocross events. These cars also react very well to sub frame connectors- those need to be first so that when you get more grippy tires and better shocks you have a solid foundation.
      1978 Pontiac Trans Am Y88-R,
      UMI Performace, LS3/T56 Holley EFI

Nice project!
      it will be a great car when done
      HELP!!!
      1973 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white = STOLEN
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...55#post1106255

so Its been awhile since my initial post. I just wanted to give a bit of an update on everything.

Back in March I decided it was time to start ripping into the 98, I pulled the engine and transmission out and dropped the engine off at the machine shop, they have finished all the machine work and it is currently just waiting to be assembled (I told them to not prioritize mine since the car isn't ready yet, so its just been sitting all these months), I'll give details shortly on what all is being done to the engine.

The transmission is sitting in the garage waiting for my stage 2 rebuild kit to be thrown at it, The transmission had some minor synchro issues, but I figured while its apart I might as well upgrade, so I went with a stage 2 rebuild kit that should support 600+ hp. I also purchased a short throw shifter, a replacement slave cylinder with remote speed bleeder and a McLeod 1434005QD hydraulic conversion kit so that I can keep stock pedals and geometry while upgrading to hydraulic setup with proper brackets, etc.

The 77 has its stock engine and transmission pulled and sold, I know a bunch of people will be upset about that, but I don't plan to re-sell, so to me its not worth taking up room keeping them. the subframe on the 77 was soft on the bottom (was literally sitting on them in the dirt), so I bought another subframe to clean up and modify to accept the LS1.

Basically I've just been stockpiling parts, but here is the basic parts list and whats being done.

Engine:
      1998 F-Body LS1
      799 Heads, professionally Ported and Polished
      Performance Valve Job
      BTR Stage 3 N/A Cam
      Adjustable double roller timing set
      High Volume Oil Pump
      ARP Rod, Head and Main Stud Kits
      Ported Dorman LS2 Intake Manifold
      Warr 92mm Throttle Body
      Bosch White 36lb GTP Fuel Injectors (flow 42lbs @ 58psi)
      99+ 0411 ECM
      Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Stainless Steel Headers
      Stock frame mount SBC motor mounts (will replace the inserts with poly ones at some point)
      Speedway Motors Solid SBC Engine site motor mounts
      Speed Engineering adjustable setback LS1 motor mount adapter plates.

Transmission:
      The Gearbox Stage 2 Rebuild Kit
      Diamond Stage 2 Clutch
      Aftermarket flywheel (haven't bought yet)
      McLeod 1434005QD hydraulic conversion kit
      B&M Ripper Shifter
      Tick Performance Slave Cylinder W/ Throwout Bearing
      Tick Performance Remote Speed Bleeder

Next Steps:
      - strip, clean, modify, coat Subframe so that I can start installing new suspension components, engine, etc
      - remove interior (need to cut hole in floor for t56
      - remove old subframe
      - remove old fuel lines and brake lines
      - clean and underbody coat underside of car.
      - replace fuel tank with FI fuel tank
      - replace fuel lines
      - replace brake lines
      - replace suspension components
      - address brakes
      - address rear end
      - exhaust

This is a large list, but after I get this stuff done I should be getting close to having it move under its own power. the main plan here is to get the car full assembled, get it driveable, and then once I get that all situated I can focus on body work / interior

here is a google album with all the pics taken so far regarding the car

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uMGCFHQ5rN72JTPv9

Cool project, I look forward to seeing it come together!

not a big update, but I got my motor back finally! below is my build sheet.

Parts I provided for the engine:
      18lb Lightweight Monster Flywheel
      799 Casting Heads
      Dorman LS2 Intake Manifold
      Warr 92mm Throttle Body
      Speed Engineering 1 7/8 Long Tube Headers
      Bosch White 36lb GTP Injectors
      Stage 2 T56 Rebuild Kit (TheGearBox)

Parts the engine shop provided for the engine:
      Sealed Power Gasket Kit - 260-1910
      - Head Gaskets
      - Intake Gaskets
      - Oil Pan Gasket
      - Rear Main Seal Gasket
      - Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
      - Valve Cover Gaskets
      - Valve Stem Seals
      - Water Pump Gaskets
      - Timing Cover Gaskets
      - Timing Cover Seal
      - Water Neck Gasket
      - Fuel Injector O-Rings
      GM Performance Parts Rear Main Seal - 89060436
      Felpro Timing Cover Gaskets - TCS45993
      Felpro Oil Pan Gaskets - OS30693R
      GM Performance Parts Valley Cover Gasket - 12610141
      Dura-Bond Cam Bearings - CH-23
      Clevite P-Series Main Bearings - MS2199P10
      King SI-Series Rod Bearings - CR865SI-10
      Cloyes Hex-A-Just True Roller Timing Set - 9-3158A
      GM Performance Parts Lifters - 88958689
      Moroso Racing Oil Pump - MOR 22120
      ARP Rod Bolts - 134-6006
      ARP Head Bolts - 134-3609
      ARP Main Stud Kit - 234-5608
      Pioneer Performance Freeze Plugs - PIO PE-496-B
      Hastings Piston Ring Set - HAS 2M4897
      BTR Stage 3 Camshaft - 33142122
      Pushrods - ? (have to find out what they used)
      Valve Springs - ? (have to find out what they used)
      Trunnion - ? (have to find out what they used)

Work provided from machine shop:
      Disassemble & Inspect Engine
      Block Prep
      Hone Cylinders
      Grind Crankshaft
      Degrease Pistons
      Assemble Engine
      Remove Broken Exhaust Bolt
      Rebuild Heads
      Valve Job
      Port and Polish
      Camshaft Degree
      Rebuild Rockers with Trunnion Kit
      Paint Block
      Resurface Flywheel

Name:  IMG_20190115_195240.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  176.8 KB

Looks like a pretty solid project to start with. I did a very similar swap on my 1976 T/A several years ago and the 4th gen engine/trans/accessories fit very nicely. One thing I would do differently now than in the past is really researching the engine mounts. One thing that I really liked about the Holley stuff for my 68 Camaro is that they optimized the engine geometry to move the engine back as far and low as possible. I believe they do/did the same thing with the 2nd gen's too. Keep up the good work. I think you can use the 4th gen fuel pump assembly too with your stock fuel tank. If I remember correctly the 98's used a steel fuel tank so if you are handy with a welder, you could cut the top off and build a fuel tank recess to graft in the stock fuel pump. That would save you some bucks.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

https://www.frankspontiacparts.com/

For misc. body panels etc.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com