Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

What mufflers to use

I am building a 70 camaro pro touring car, the engine is a 383 sb with twin turbos , I will be running dual 3 inch exhaust, how do I achieve virtual complete silence. I want this car to be as quiet as humanly possible

Borla Pro xs. They flow well and are pretty quiet. But no where near silent.

Thought about eventually switching out my dynatech turbo mufflers. Wouldn't mind something alittle more quitier

Run the 3" pipes though two sets of x-crossovers in series, into dual 3" dynomax VT mufflers; reduce from 3" just after the muffler to 2.5", then over the axle into a single Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded X muffler (17533), and out dual 2.25" tailpipes.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      Run the 3" pipes though two sets of x-crossovers in series, into dual 3" dynomax VT mufflers; reduce from 3" just after the muffler to 2.5", then over the axle into a single Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded X muffler (17533), and out dual 2.5" tailpipes.
      This would only work with a fuel cell in the trunk and no factory style tank, correct? Creating dual center exhaust exiting under the license plate?

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nick View Post
      This would only work with a fuel cell in the trunk and no factory style tank, correct? Creating dual center exhaust exiting under the license plate?
      Factory single muffler was mounted vertical between the axle and tank (see pic), and you'd need to check measurements, but I believe the 17553 would fit there. After the outlets 90 from either side of the 17553, then they'd go past either side of the tank like factory. I think I'd actually use 2.25" out from the 3rd muffler for further noise reduce and more routing clearance. Probably the most difficult part would be fitting two crossovers before the dual mufflers. Probably not enough room to package both.

Name:  33-255017-1.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  34.3 KB

Thanks 68 formula, I don't have any room for the sideways muffler , what about using a crossover then resonators as the straight pipe then going into mufflers and maybe after the mufflers downsize to 2 1/2

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
      Thanks 68 formula, I don't have any room for the sideways muffler , what about using a crossover then resonators as the straight pipe then going into mufflers and maybe after the mufflers downsize to 2 1/2
      Ah, see you went the torque arm route. Yeah, not quite as effective of course, but should bring the sound level down decently. At least you have the turbos to help as well.

Scratch that. Looks like a crossover is not compatible with a torque arms suspension (it would interfere with the movement of the main arm during rear suspension travel).

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com