Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

64 Boosted Falcon

Feels good to finally be able to post a project update. Spent the last number of months gathering parts and planning my build.
      Over the holiday break the stock front pick up points and mounts were cut off the TCI IFS crossmember installed.
      The engine setting where it needs to be. need to do some more cutting on the tunnel to fit the TKO 600.
      Name:  TCI Crossmember install 2.jpg
Views: 3130
Size:  241.0 KBName:  TCI Crossmember install 3.jpg
Views: 2866
Size:  224.7 KBName:  Engine set in place 1.jpg
Views: 2809
Size:  253.2 KBName:  Engine set in place 2.jpg
Views: 2860
Size:  230.7 KBName:  Engine set in place 3.jpg
Views: 2781
Size:  212.5 KBName:  Engine install cut firewall.jpg
Views: 2767
Size:  216.8 KB
      Some more firewall mods are needed before I make the Engine and transmission mounts.

Country Flag: United States
      I did the same front end kit on a Ranchero not too long ago for a friend. It went pretty well, Not too much fiddling needed to be done.

Keep up the good work!
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

Nice project. Is that an Ecoboost? If so what trans are you going to run?

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Yes it is a 3.5 Ecoboost from a F150 mated to a TKO600

That is cool. Did you have to fabricate the motor mounts or does TCI sell an adapter?
      1986 Saleen, Aluminum block 408W, T56, Full Griggs Racing supension

I will have to fabricate the engine mounts. With that said it looks like I can use the SBF mounts with some easy mods/a single cut on each one and welding to plates I made I think at this point. I need to get the AC compressor, alternator, steering shaft and starter bolted on. I will build the engine and trans mounts at the same time. I am thinking right now that the mounts are not going to be too tough
      My initial concern was the left side turbo and steering shaft, turned out to be a non issue. I am having to do more work on the firewall than i was thinking when I started but it’s not a big deal.
      Getting the engine back a extra inch is going to help with the intercooler, radiator and AC condenser space.

Haven't touched the Falcon for a 6 weeks was back at it yesterday, got both motor mounts mocked up and finished the left side. Will finish up the right side this week with new found motivation. Was able to use the TCI SBF mounts that came with the front end kit, just took a little trimming.

Name:  LS Motor Mount..jpg
Views: 2270
Size:  169.1 KB

Interesting combo, I'll have to follow this one!
      1988 Mazda RX7 - Forged LS/T56, 76mm turbo, ProEFI, Ford 8.8 - Sold
      1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, Haltech, big brakes, updated suspension.
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Full bolt-ons
      2016 BMW 428iX GranSport - Stock...ish.

Very Cool! I am on my 3rd EcoBoost swap now. They make for a really nice swap. What are plans for power output? 480-500 RWHP pretty easy without changing any internals. My first one just tune was 420/532 one of current no dyno yet but should be 480/550. Subscribed!

I have been told it doesn't take much to make 450 RWHP, I will be happy with 400-450 for starters. Since you have done a few EB swaps what are your thoughts on the engine mounts? I have been told by some of the more experienced EB guys that I need to care on putting too much leverage on the side of the block?? I was looking at the stock truck engine aluminum engine mounts it seems to me that if anything I have spread the load out more than the stock mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted Falcon View Post
      I have been told it doesn't take much to make 450 RWHP, I will be happy with 400-450 for starters. Since you have done a few EB swaps what are your thoughts on the engine mounts? I have been told by some of the more experienced EB guys that I need to care on putting too much leverage on the side of the block?? I was looking at the stock truck engine aluminum engine mounts it seems to me that if anything I have spread the load out more than the stock mount.
      I used stock F150 mounts on all 3 of my builds. Huge insulator on them which will absorb a lot. I can get pics if you would like. I figured with all the engineering done why not keep them. Very easy to use.

Stock mounts not aluminum at least thru 2015.

I upgraded the Turbo's to the Ford GT and ported the manifolds. Goal is to make 500 RWHP. Although 475-480 will do as this truck is only 3700 lbs

Humm, thanks I will have to check out the OEM truck mounts, might have to rethink what I have planned. More research needed, I think I will finish up what I have started so I can finish up the trans mount and tunnel. Then the engine comes back out and if a new plan is needed I will go from there.
      Holley is just down the road from us, they had a stock F150 on there dyno to baseline before making a exhaust system for the truck. Just rolling up on the dyno it made 365 RWHP, seeing that made the decision to plug a 3.5EB into the Falcon. I figure stock power levels will push this 2800-2900 car pretty good.

Thanks

I came really close to using a 3.5EB, but opted for a Coyote in the end. Neat to see another Falcon build.

Mark my build is a bit tamer than yours, but I have gotten plenty of ideas from yours and others projects.
      I thought about a Coyote, LS and 4.6, choose the EB after seeing a dyno pull on a stock F150 at Holley when they were getting baseline numbers prior to building an exhaust system. (Holley is just down the street from us and do some testing at our place)

Country Flag: Canada
      Cool build. You should have a ton of room in front for the radiator and intercooler missing two cylinders.
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - Holy cow - what a ride!!!
      See my build

Jason

Pardon my ignorance, but won't porting the manifold where it goes into the turbo slow down the velocity of the air thus making it feel a bit more "laggy"? I mean obviously, the more air you can get in and out of an engine, the more power you can make, but where does one strike the balance on an engine like this.

With that question out of the way, I want to say I think you've got an awesome project here, and I love your powertrain choice. These engines can make amazing power.

Chris

Thanks Chris,
      I am far from a turbo expert but have enough to be dangerous with my Factory 5 818 build that is Subaru WRX powered with a twin scroll VF37 turbo.
      The stock EB engines have small turbo's and spool up a low RPM, which is great for a truck. Talking to a few people that have installed aftermarket turbos tell me the turbo spool up is moved up maybe 1000 rpm and pulls hard past 6000rpm and didn't hurt drivability. The EB powered stock F150 I have driven runs out of breath just over 5000rpm. My experience also by opening up the exhaust system on turbo cars has lessened the boost drop at higher rpm.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com