Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Electronic boost controller

I'm building my first turbo setup and I've been doing research on the subject but, I'm wondering who here is using an electronic boost controller and their opinions. I know they aren't a necessary component, but are a nice thing to have.
      Setup is a street/autocross car, 5.3, precision 7275 .96 through a tremec magnum and 3.70 8.8 rear.

Depends on what computer you are planning to run. I run a gm computer and needed a aftermarket controller which led me to a eboost2 unit. If I had a standalone system like a Holley or Megasquirt then I would use thier built in boost control/traction control features.

My car is setup similar with a Turbo 6.0, 4l80e and used for autocross/street type stuff.
      Justin N.

1966 Chevelle
      1992 GMC Typhoon
      1989 Jeep Wrangler CJ 6.0 Twin Turbo
      1981 Jeep CJ7

I'll be using a factory gm computer

I would be looking for something to bring boost in slowly if you are autoxing. My turbo cars have been nearly undriveable if the steering wheel was turned at all. This is even with the turned down to 525-570 rwhp.

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      I would be looking for something to bring boost in slowly if you are autoxing. My turbo cars have been nearly undriveable if the steering wheel was turned at all. This is even with the turned down to 525-570 rwhp.

Tgatsbwhy i was looking at a boost controller. Specifically the boost 2. It has boost by gear capabilities. I was also looking at the innovative scg1 because if the integrated wideband, but I don't think it has boost by gear. If anyone can clear that up that would be nice?

Boost by gear would not have solved all my issues. It just hit like a sledge hammer when the turbos would spool. Even if you limit it by gear it will still be hard to keep the car balanced during a turn if the boost comes in during the turn. If you don't care about being competitive then it can be a whole lot of fun to drive. I really like Vortech's/Paxton's for high powered handling type cars. I am curious if a smaller exhaust side than optimum would help. My offroad buggy has the turbo maxed out and it has pretty linear power best I can tell, It's hard to tell offroad.

MS3 pro with traction control would be the best bet. you can dial in boost/timing, etc to command a certain % slippage. Holley should also be able to do this. You would have to size the wastegate properly to fully divert air from the turbo/turbos and run co2 to control the gate as needed.

My car is a handful to drive autocrossing, but I am still competitive during competition and am having fun with it all. I know however I could be faster with less power/more control of boost, or eliminate the turbo setup altogether.
      Justin N.

1966 Chevelle
      1992 GMC Typhoon
      1989 Jeep Wrangler CJ 6.0 Twin Turbo
      1981 Jeep CJ7

my advice....unless u constantly need to change boost rates or control rate of boost ramp just run it on waste gate spring. when i 1st built my car I had a faulty boost controller and engine saw 25lbs of boost and bent a rod.
      it only takes a few min to change the waste gate springs

The SCG-1 does not have boost per gear. I have been using it for awhile and it has been decent. But like others have said, the turbos hit hard and and speed based system would probably be a good option for auto cross.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com