Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Discharging Wastegates outside of the exhaust system

I am working on the hot side of my exhaust and curious how many turbo guys have vented their wastegates outside of their exhaust system (i.e. routed a small tube from the wastegate directly to the ambient air)? Its a very tight fit for me to route them back to my down pipes and considering dumping them directly outside of the engine bay, but curious if there are any disadvantages to taking this route (such as excessive noise)? I have seen this done on race cars but not on street cars.

Country Flag: United States
      Its OK for a race car, but for a street car, it is excessive noise & IMO it does not sound good.

If you have room, you can add a mini muffler for the wastegate pipe.

It is better to reroute the wastegate further down stream of your downpipe anyways, the turbulence = faster/quicker spool of the turbo.
      But for all out performance a complete separate exhaust path for the wastegate is always better.

Thanks for the response, I am trying to avoid the noise if the sound isn't good on the ears. Making the exhaust fit is a bit challenging though.

It actually sounds like a$$ to me. My friend had done it (wastegate vented to atmosphere) to his Typhoon & to me it made a horrendous noise as compared to the good sounding exhaust he had before. The wastegate exhaust was louder than the exhaust system.

Keep in mind, your wastegate will only be venting under the pre-set load conditions. As for sound preference under these conditions, that will vary from individual to individual

I've heard venting the wategate to atmosphere will then have the compressor side of the turbo suck in the gases from the Watergate and rob power.
      Ahmad B.

Atmosphere on a full race application where noise is not limited to a dB reading, Otherwise just run a mini muffler or route further down stream

1967 Firebird "Poor-Boy Build"
      New updated thread
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...bird-(Updates)
      Follow me on Instagram @NaturalLivingMan

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com