Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

MR 2 electric hydraulic power steering pump

Anyone have experience using a electric/hydraulic power steering pump? (Second gen MR2 or early 2000s Mini)
      I have found some info primarily in the EV world. Looks like it could be a solution for my EcoBoost swap. The one question I have not found a answer to is has anyone out there been able to find a way to control the pump pressure relative to speed?

Country Flag: United States
      I looked into this briefly and it seemed like they draw a lot of amperage. It seemed the better option was to use the electric power module on the column.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Donny, that is true they use 75+ amp fuses and relays. I am told by the EV guys that the high amp draw is in parking or lock to lock situations. I have been looking at the Saturn Vue and Toyota units. I have a space problem under my dash.
      More research need

Here's one of the best write-ups Ive seen on the MR2 pump-

https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-r...edone-2528249/

Pretty neat piece- uses a speed sensor to turn off at highway speeds and a stepper motor with integrated controls.

I was also looking at using a Mercedes Benz electric pump too- Only used on the A-class (Euro )

Mercedes Benz electric power steering pump-

The electric pump is rated at 950PSI- I don't know the GPM of the M-B pump. Stock GM pumps ( C3 Corvettes for example) 2.9 GPM- where the upgraded pumps are around 3.3GPM (Chevy Astro Van pump)

HOWEVER- after looking at all the options-

I ended up using a fully electric motor on the column from a 2010-12 Nissan Cube- electronic controls are on separate module- but pretty much self contained.

Thanks great info. I have looked at a install like yours. In my case the motor will sit under the Left side turbo. I have been told that is isn’t a good idea. Yours is relitively close to your exhaust have you had any issues and how long have you had it installed?

Country Flag: United States
      Hey Richard,

I see that you mounted the EPAS unit in the engine compartment. I've been doing a lot of reading on the various EPAS solutions and there seems to be some debate as to whether the electronic steering units can be used in a high heat/wet environment. All the OEM installations have the EPAS units under the dash. I'd like to do the same on my Cougar and I think it would be a lot easier to mounts the EPAs on the bottom of the column in the engine compartment. I already have 2 Toyota Prius units and the electronics.

I just want to hear your thoughts on all that.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com