Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

68 C10 shortbox LS/T56 project

Evening everyone.

My new project is a 68 C10. It was a LWB but going to be a SWB.

I bought the truck last fall. Came out of CA. Very nice body. Only rust was beneath the heater core area.

It had about 100 pounds of rat/mouse/other crawly stuff in every crevice of the cab and engine compartment.

I completely disassembled the truck. Stripped all the paint off the sheet metal. The frame was sanded blasted and painted.

As I would say I'm in charge of taking paint off but a local body shop is willing to let me put paint on this time. Mostly just sanding. That starts next week.

I'm buying a new aftermarket short box.

So here's my question. I've been on the C10 sites reviewing build threads. I'm going LS and T56. I understand I will need a high hump transmission pan. But if I go with a 4" front drop and 6" rear drop will a correctly sized (3.5"-4") one piece drive shaft clear the stock trailing arm cross member? Some say yes and some have modified the stock cross member. No plans to go any lower than 6" in the back. What have you guys done?

Any help would be great.

So I've made some good progress.

The local body shop has let me do all the sanding of the skim coat body filler. Sanding one coat of "poly" filler and then two sessions of block sanding 2K primer.

They color sanded and buffed all the cab and body parts. It looks pretty great.

I installed the LS1 T56 combo.

I just got the wiring done. Howell LS harness. Painless chassis harness. Got the basic stuff hooked up and it cranked!

Lots of work to do before it fires. Run fuel lines. Install gas tank.

Tomorrow is gauge panel install and hook up all the wires.

Country Flag: United States
      Sounds like a fun project and we're particularly fond of these trucks. Please post some pics!
      -Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

Ben,

It has been a good project. First time I've done any body work. People don't realize how many hour goes into body prep and color sanding and buffing.

Hope to have it on the road late May or early June.

I would post photos but for the life of me I haven't figured out how.

Can I send some to you and you can post?

Just an update.

Truck is completely painted. Cab back on the chassis. Suspension in. Brake lines done. C5 brakes installed. Fuel lines run. Working on the exhaust. Wiring is complete. Dash is in. Radio goes in next week. Radiator support and big 31" x 19" dual pass radiator goes in this weekend.

I didn't want to run the exhaust under the trailing cross member so I plasmed a 4" hole in each side for the exhaust to run thru. Added a plate to bring the strength back. I basically centered the hole in the up and down in the cross member. Now as I run the exhaust it would of been better to bias the hole right towards the top of the cross member. Makes for easier routing of the exhaust over the transmission cross member. I'm using a ECE trans cross member that is almost flush with the bottom of the frame.

I'm using Speed Engineering full length headers and they fit well. Bottom of the collectors is about even with the bottom of the frame.

Ordering wheels tomorrow.

Hope to have it drive able in a few weeks.

More progress. Exhaust done. Gas tank in and fuel lines and wiring hooked up.

And it's alive! Put 5 gallons of gas in it and cranked it. It started right up. Got to like LS platform.

Still up on the jack stands so I tried the clutch and it all worked.

I need to finish the radiator hoses and fill it with coolant.

Pictures would be nice! ;)
      72 chevelle.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      Just an update.

Truck is completely painted. Cab back on the chassis. Suspension in. Brake lines done. C5 brakes installed. Fuel lines run. Working on the exhaust. Wiring is complete. Dash is in. Radio goes in next week. Radiator support and big 31" x 19" dual pass radiator goes in this weekend.

I didn't want to run the exhaust under the trailing cross member so I plasmed a 4" hole in each side for the exhaust to run thru. Added a plate to bring the strength back. I basically centered the hole in the up and down in the cross member. Now as I run the exhaust it would of been better to bias the hole right towards the top of the cross member. Makes for easier routing of the exhaust over the transmission cross member. I'm using a ECE trans cross member that is almost flush with the bottom of the frame.

I'm using Speed Engineering full length headers and they fit well. Bottom of the collectors is about even with the bottom of the frame.

Ordering wheels tomorrow.

Hope to have it drive able in a few weeks.
      I haven't been on this board in a while, but I just picked up a 68 C10 myself.
      You mentioned C5 brakes, what spindles are you running up front? ...and did you do disks in rear too?
      If you can't post pics, please email I will post for you. [email protected]

Thanks, Kevin

I will send the pics. I need to update them to the current progress.

Wheels are in 20" Rambler wheels. Tires will be here this week. 285/40 rear. 255/40 front.

I used 2.5" drop spindles that were modified by Way2Low on the C10 website. He supplied the spindles, hubs and caliper mounts. I supplied the C5 calipers and rotors. 4.75" bolt circle.

In the rear I used 1995 Camaro rear calipers. They have the e-brake built in. Made my own brackets to fit. 12" Camaro rotors. 4.75" bolt circle.

Thanks for the help.

So here's my question. I've been on the C10 sites reviewing build threads. I'm going LS and T56. I understand I will need a high hump transmission pan. But if I go with a 4" front drop and 6" rear drop will a correctly sized (3.5"-4") one piece drive shaft clear the stock trailing arm cross member? Some say yes and some have modified the stock cross member. No plans to go any lower than 6" in the back. What have you guys done?

what did you figure out about the rear trailing cross member and using a 4" 1 piece drive shaft?

Per my local drive shaft shop with a 6200 rev limiter set on my LS swap they said a 3.5" is safe to 7000 rpm. I did grind a bit out of the top cross member to add clearance for the drive shaft. I have a T56 magnum which moves the tail shaft out a bit compared to a Fbody T56. I did use a high hump trans cover. I did the ECE motor mounts. They set the engine quite high and forward in the chassis. Wouldn't use them again. They wouldn't clear the Fbody pan and the stock cross member. I had to die grind all the bolt holes to allow moving the chassis mounts back to allow for pan clearance. Also if if did it again I'd lower the engine down and back so the drive line angle is better. Currently the engine angle is 3.5 degrees. I would build my own mounts using SBC engine mounts. I used the Speed Engineering headers. Even if lowering the engine I'd have plenty of ground clearance.

So I've been driving the C10 for about a month. Just installed the CPP front sway bar. With the POL tubular arms the spacers between the poly bushings I left out. Looks good. seems to have helped .

Front and rear bumpers from AMD thru Summit. Look good and fit good.

Front trim (hood, eye brow, and grill inserts) fit good and look good. My mistake on the grill inserts was assuming they weren't damaged inside the packing. They were taped to a piece of wood to prevent damage. I put them on the shelf and when I was ready to install found out they were a bit mangled. Note to self always inspect each part as they arrive.

Tail gate trim is OK at best. Upper trim as it over laps the center latch trim is poor. Lower trim is OK.

Tail light trim is barely OK. Needs fine tuning bending to fit.

Truck has been fun to drive. Just getting used to it.

Need Pics!!!
      67' Camaro- 385 SBC/Autogear M22/Wilwood

My 57' Truck build:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/126935-Caddy-powered-pick-em-up-57-Chevy-truck

Just FYI. I ordered the side moldings for a 67-68 SB fleet side from Brothers Truck. I ordered them late Feb during their winter sale. 15% off.

Not knowing who made them it was rumored they were Mar-K parts.

Just received them and they are Mar-K as I hoped. They are packed very well. I look forward to installing them.

I will keep everyone posted.

^^ pics!
      72 chevelle.

Will do on the pics tomorrow. Can't really get a good shot while in the shop. Have to wait until the snow stops.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      Will do on the pics tomorrow. Can't really get a good shot while in the shop. Have to wait until the snow stops.
      Got your pics Jim, ...Truck looks amazing too ;)

- - - Updated - - -

...and a couple more...

Oh man. That is killer !!
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Thanks so much for the help posting the pics.
      I'm hoping the snow is gone by mid week so we can go for a cruise this week end.

So the C10 is complete. It's a great ride. I will be selling it this fall for the ONLY reason I'm a touch over 6"2 and its a bit tight as I drive it. I will be going to the local car shows thru the summer. It's funny how many folks look at the truck and go "cool" with all the mods I did. Then you have the guys that think the LS/T56 swap is dumb although they haven't driven a well tuned LS swap anything.
      I'm looking at a couple of local "rust free projects".
      If you are at the Orelliy' show in St.Paul this next weekend please stop by to talk. We will be there later Saturday and all day Sunday rain or shine. The truck has wipers and defrost.
      The Pro Touring web site has been great over the years.
      Thanks for all the help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com