Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

12 Bolt Rearend Noise

I have a noise in my rear end when I turn right. It sounds like a brake grinding and it's not a steady grind. It has a rotation rate that matches the speed of the car. At first I though it was the brakes. The 50 year old brakes were trashed so I replaced them and the noise is still there. The car has an Eaton Posi, and a friend thinks it's posi chatter. Would posi chatter sound like that? Anyway, here's the background on the rear end. It's on my 67 Camaro and it's the original 12 bolt that came with the car in 67. The previous owner installed c-clip eliminators and the Eaton Posi. It's got 4:11 gears and Classic Industries drum brakes. There's probably 100 miles on the new brakes.
      Brad Bickers
      '67 Camaro, Blueprint 383/ 700r4

Sounds like the axle bearing from whatever side the sounds comes from. I just went they the exact same thing on the left side with my stock 12 bolt.

I’m going with posi chatter. I would add some posi additive and see if it improves.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I replaced the bearings by installing new c-clip eminators and it's still making the noise (I can't afford a new housing at the moment, but the plan is to go back to a stock c-clip set up). For now, I'm going to use a Posi additive and see if it works.

Brad Bickers
      '67 Camaro, Blueprint 383/ 700r4

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com