Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: '66 Fairlane XL

Country Flag: United States
      The entire front trunk panel is attached with snap rings and pops off to access the battery and electrical shut off switch. The rectangle in the center is just something the upholstery man did for show and to have a place to put the "Fairlane emblem we had left over after using the block letters from a '67 on the quarter panel.

I knew the Detroit Speed components were great, but you simply cannot know how well an older car can ride, handle, steer and stop until you've experienced driving a car with this type of suspension. It is an amazing transformation. I have a stock and original '67 Cyclone GT that has rebuilt suspension front and rear, and drives as close to new in '67 as possible. Driving the two cars back to back is almost unbelievable that cars that look so much alike can be so different.

A big thanks to GTS Customs in Baldwin, GA for building my dream car.

Now I'm ready to enjoy this thing for a long time. The long wait and big bags of money were worth it. Name:  IMG_0480.jpg
Views: 1920
Size:  309.3 KBName:  IMG_0481.jpg
Views: 2345
Size:  288.0 KBName:  IMG_0482.jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  300.8 KBName:  IMG_0483.jpg
Views: 1869
Size:  259.8 KBName:  IMG_0486.jpg
Views: 1878
Size:  226.3 KBName:  fullsizeoutput_2c5.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  412.3 KB

I'm a GM guy, but jeez this car checks all the boxes for me.

Its an impressive build, and you should be very proud of the final result.

Country Flag: Canada
      That looks great. Nice car.
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - Holy cow - what a ride!!!
      See my build

Jason

Looks amazing!

Country Flag: Belgium
      Enjoy the ride!
      Can see myself cruising in that car to :-)

Lovely interior!

I agree with your modernization statement completely. Very well done.

To answer those who wanted pics of the suspension components installed: here are some pics from yesterday when it was on the lift for a overall inspection after a few hundred miles of break-in driving. The Detroit Speed components are the Aluma-Frame front and QUADRA-Link rear suspension kits for a 65-70 Mustang. That chassis is quite a bit different than the larger Fairlane, but these units can be adapted with time and effort.Name:  IMG_0542.jpg
Views: 1683
Size:  195.7 KBName:  IMG_0541.jpg
Views: 1726
Size:  202.1 KBName:  IMG_0544.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  177.9 KBName:  IMG_0545.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  192.9 KB

Such a great ride. Well thought out and executed!

Quote Originally Posted by xrttman View Post
      Here is the powerplant for UnFairlane. The air cleaner is still a work in progress but that's the starting point. The engine is a Dart block, Brodix heads, hydraulic roller from Comp Cams, being fed by a FI Tech fuel injection unit. It has a Concept One front runner system. The headers and exhaust are custom built from stainless steel. I didn't want a bling filled engine compartment. Brian Williams at GTS Customs calls it the "industrial look". I'm not a car show kinda guy, and this car is being built to DRIVE, so while I think it'll look pretty hot, I'd much rather be busting bugs than sitting behind it in a lawn chair.
      I couldn't agree more cars were meant to be driven! I'm stealing that quote about busting bugs and lawn chairs lol super sweet car!

Thanks for the comments. This thing is even more fun than I thought it'd be. For those who get stalled in the middle of a project, my advice is hang in there and keep at it. The end result is well worth all the time, and money.

Quote Originally Posted by xrttman View Post
      I knew the Detroit Speed components were great, but you simply cannot know how well an older car can ride, handle, steer and stop until you've experienced driving a car with this type of suspension. It is an amazing transformation. I have a stock and original '67 Cyclone GT that has rebuilt suspension front and rear, and drives as close to new in '67 as possible. Driving the two cars back to back is almost unbelievable that cars that look so much alike can be so different.

A big thanks to GTS Customs in Baldwin, GA for building my dream car.

Now I'm ready to enjoy this thing for a long time. The long wait and big bags of money were worth it. Name:  IMG_0480.jpg
Views: 1920
Size:  309.3 KBName:  IMG_0481.jpg
Views: 2345
Size:  288.0 KBName:  IMG_0482.jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  300.8 KBName:  IMG_0483.jpg
Views: 1869
Size:  259.8 KBName:  IMG_0486.jpg
Views: 1878
Size:  226.3 KBName:  fullsizeoutput_2c5.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  412.3 KB
      beautiful cars! Big Comet/Fairlane fan especially the 66-67 cars. Have owned a bunch including some factory 427 cars.

Very nice I grew up during that time and I really like the body styles from back then. There are a lot of people who don`t know what it is, And you will surprise them.

Nice to see something different that’s badass

UPDATE.....After three months and three different professional tuner shops trying to make the FI Tech injection system work properly I gave up. Their tech support is worse than ANY product I ever used. If anything they make the issues WORSE and seem to know next to nothing about the system. You talk to a different person every time and they even contradict each other. Today we installed a Holley 750 CFM Speed Demon carb and with only bolting it on out of the box, the car starts, idles, and accelerates better than the FI Tech has in three months. Beware of this system

Very nice!! What's the lower cooling fan for? Oil, transmission coolers?
      1968 Charger R/T, EFI,SC,6-speed

Quote Originally Posted by J-440 View Post
      Very nice!! What's the lower cooling fan for? Oil, transmission coolers?
      That's the cooler for the Gear Star Ford AOD transmission.

The shop that built the Fairlane, GTS Customs, took it to Charlotte for the Goodguys show and received a Builders Choice award for their efforts. I'm not a car show guy but i'm glad they got recognized for the build. Now it's time to DRIVE the thing!

Mind if i ask what shop installed the rear 4 link setup? DSE?

@xrttman Beautiful build!! Where did you find that gauge cluster? Also, why go with the Detroit speed front end as opposed to Heidt's that is designed for it?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com