Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      I wanted to bring this thread back up. I looked mainly at price...but when I looked at brands like Holley a concern was on my mind how everything was hanging off the water pump. Is it good to have all those accessories hanging on the 6 small bolts originally designed to hold only a water pump? I looked at VA and it seems there is support bolts on the lower part of the block.

- - - Updated - - -

VA gave you that deal? They told me as a manufacturer they had to sell only at MSRP and referred me to Summit or Jegs.
      $2400 is less than WD cost so must have been a while since he got that, or got some other special deal.
      They do sell at MSRP, and dealers like ourselves are required to ADVERTISE at a certain price, not necessarily sell at a certain price.

We're a dealer for both, and more.

We've installed a couple Holley mid-mounts now, they seem very solid but I do understand your concern. However I wouldn't be concerned.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

^^ which one would you put in your personal car? Holley or VA?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

This is the "normal" Holley high mount a/c set up just for reference.Name:  20140617_163645.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  274.0 KB
      Matt H.

^^ which one would you put in your personal car? Holley or VA?
      Holley.

It's my understanding is that the alt/water pump cartridge used in the mid mount Holley set up are based off C7 stuff; so you can get parts at part store in an emergency.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Can you all post some pictures of the set-ups?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Quote Originally Posted by thumper877 View Post
      It is drive junky. I have there setup. Beautiful quality great directions and I also had them put a brushed finish on it to match my wheels and trim. The hand built and tig welded power steering reservoir is like art work so drive junky x2
      I will be selling my Drive Junky set-up in the Brushed finish. I sold the Car, then sold the LS3, but the Engine Buyer is not Buying the D-J Drive

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      I will be selling my Drive Junky set-up in the Brushed finish. I sold the Car, then sold the LS3, but the Engine Buyer is not Buying the D-J Drive

How come the top pick doesn't have the PS wrap like the lower pic? Does Drive Junky have a LS7 kit? Looks like they don't sell anywhere but their own website....No wonder I haven't heard of them. How much you selling your kit for?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Also....is belt wrap on the PS really that much of a concern on a large ribbed pulley?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Here is the holley mid mount. Here is what I experienced - I like the overall setup, I did have concern about the belt wrap as well. Time will tell. The hardware that comes with it looks/feels cheap. I had to chamfer the ends of the water pump housing bolts, the they were strait cut - and not clean. They got tight when I threaded them in. I also don't care for allen head bolt heads, and there is a mix & match of hex heads and allen heads. There was quite of bit of casting slag in the water pump housing in several areas, which I knocked clean with a chisel. The black coating on the water pump housing is thin and nearly worn thru in a few places. Nowhere near as nice as the finish as on the rest of the components. I had to drill out the bolt hole for the hing bolt on the compressor, as the bolt would not go thru, or slide in from the side as instructed. I also filed the opening after the hole was enlarged. The fit is good, spacing is good, the acc themselves seem high quality. The cover that goes over the tensioner has no access for ratched head or extension. So you have to remove the cover- which has 2 tiny allen head screws. I may end up leaving it off and ceramic painting the tensioner. I drive the car long distance often, and would be pissed off if I had to change a belt and either didnt have the tiny allen key, or worse, that the head strips. I used anti- seize on every bolt on the drive setup.

How come the top pick doesn't have the PS wrap like the lower pic? Does Drive Junky have a LS7 kit? Looks like they don't sell anywhere but their own website....No wonder I haven't heard of them. How much you selling your kit for?
      the 1st picture is off Drive Junky's Site. The Power Steering Pump does not fit a 2nd Gen correctly - it comes in contact with the Steering Box. I had them build me a Custom Pump & Reservoir.

Ron Sutton was selling them & I bought from him. Then I had the issues with the PS, so I dealt directly with Drive Junky on the solution. I wonder if they got paid from Mr Sauce!

Quote Originally Posted by Z06vet View Post
      Here is the holley mid mount. Here is what I experienced - I like the overall setup, I did have concern about the belt wrap as well. Time will tell. The hardware that comes with it looks/feels cheap. I had to chamfer the ends of the water pump housing bolts, the they were strait cut - and not clean. They got tight when I threaded them in. I also don't care for allen head bolt heads, and there is a mix & match of hex heads and allen heads. There was quite of bit of casting slag in the water pump housing in several areas, which I knocked clean with a chisel. The black coating on the water pump housing is thin and nearly worn thru in a few places. Nowhere near as nice as the finish as on the rest of the components. I had to drill out the bolt hole for the hing bolt on the compressor, as the bolt would not go thru, or slide in from the side as instructed. I also filed the opening after the hole was enlarged. The fit is good, spacing is good, the acc themselves seem high quality. The cover that goes over the tensioner has no access for ratched head or extension. So you have to remove the cover- which has 2 tiny allen head screws. I may end up leaving it off and ceramic painting the tensioner. I drive the car long distance often, and would be pissed off if I had to change a belt and either didnt have the tiny allen key, or worse, that the head strips. I used anti- seize on every bolt on the drive setup.
      I admit the Holley set-up does look pretty slick with the black alternator and AC compressor. I personally didn't like the whole system hanging solely on the water pump bolts (that's just me and I'm sure its fine). I see what your talking about with the mix Allen and Hex head bolts...I got the Holley's high mount AC bracket and I agree the bolts do seem different, but its well known that all this stuff is made in China. That probably explains the coating on the pump. Did you not opt for the ATI pulley??

I did end up buying the Vintage Air set-up because I got it pretty cheap comparatively to the MSRP price (and 18 months 0% financing). Drive Junky does look like a good set-up and if they advertised an LS7 set-up and could be had from Summit, probably would have looked a little harder at it.

BMR, what are you selling your set-up for?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I admit the Holley set-up does look pretty slick with the black alternator and AC compressor. I personally didn't like the whole system hanging solely on the water pump bolts (that's just me and I'm sure its fine). I see what your talking about with the mix Allen and Hex head bolts...I got the Holley's high mount AC bracket and I agree the bolts do seem different, but its well known that all this stuff is made in China. That probably explains the coating on the pump. Did you not opt for the ATI pulley??

I did end up buying the Vintage Air set-up because I got it pretty cheap comparatively to the MSRP price (and 18 months 0% financing). Drive Junky does look like a good set-up and if they advertised an LS7 set-up and could be had from Summit, probably would have looked a little harder at it.

BMR, what are you selling your set-up for?
      Sending you a PM

Not a lot out there for the DJ kits....Who else has one??
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

So contacted Detroit Speed and they exclusively use the Vintage Air kit and some of the newer builds use the Holley kit....why? Seems odd there’s lots of discussion on PS wrap yet one of the biggest names in the PT scene don’t use a system with such feature. This has wasted my brain bytes all weekend.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Has anyone used the GM original front drive set up on a LSX motor with a Detroit Speed subframe? Is there clearance issues ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickburns View Post
      Has anyone used the GM original front drive set up on a LSX motor with a Detroit Speed subframe? Is there clearance issues ?

Thanks
      I know in the instructions from DSE for my first gen it states that factory f-body drive will fit. I am curious as well...

I used C5/C6, I don’t think the factory low mount Ac will not fit with C5 nor F-body
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I know this is an old thread but figured I would post as many of you here are customers of ours anyways.

Here is the current list of Kits we sell:

Drive Junky
      Wegner
      Holley
      Concept One
      CVF Racing
      Vintage Air Front Runner
      Billet Specialties
      EMS
      March (Only when the customer insists or they are the only ones with the application as fitment IS sketch).

That being said, let me know if anyone needs info or pricing on any of these brands. Please send desired finish and any other details we may need.

Thanks,
      MCB
      MCB - Matt's Classic Bowties
      5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
      Benicia, Ca. 94510
      866-628-8746
      TEXT ONLY: 925-989-9091 (Replied 8-4)
      www.mcbparts.com

Email: [email protected]
      Like us on Facebook for exclusive offers, info and chat: www.facebook.com/mcbparts
      Hours: Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm Pacific
      We ALWAYS enjoy talking to our customers!
      We have a full time staff to answer ALL Questions, Tech Support or Order Status Tracking!

Does the VA front runner come in all black? Compressor, alternator, brackets, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 65 drop top View Post
      Does the VA front runner come in all black? Compressor, alternator, brackets, etc.
      No, it does not. What engine is it for?

For most LS/SB/BB all Black is available in:

Wegner (LS)
      CVF
      EMS
      Holley
      Concept One

Let me know on the application and I can get you over pics and tax time sale prices.

Thanks,
      Matt
      MCB - Matt's Classic Bowties
      5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
      Benicia, Ca. 94510
      866-628-8746
      TEXT ONLY: 925-989-9091 (Replied 8-4)
      www.mcbparts.com

Email: [email protected]
      Like us on Facebook for exclusive offers, info and chat: www.facebook.com/mcbparts
      Hours: Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm Pacific
      We ALWAYS enjoy talking to our customers!
      We have a full time staff to answer ALL Questions, Tech Support or Order Status Tracking!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com