Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Benefits of a fan controller?

Why use a fan controller over a regular relay and adjustable temp switch?

Camaro Convertible Build Pics - http://s447.photobucket.com/albums/qq198/rob07002/

www.musclerides.com

Rob Stevens

Country Flag: United States
      Because a relay just flips your fans on full blast and a pwm controller starts them slow and ramps up as needed. I have each fan controlled by a separate PWM, one of which is adjustable and has a load indicator in the cabin, and never get that hard voltage drop when they start.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

The best reason is that you usually don't need full fan speed. A good pwm-based controller will run them just as fast as needed so your temps stay on an even keel, plus you won't be the "loud fan guy" with your fans running at full speed at stop lights.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      plus you won't be the "loud fan guy" with your fans running at full speed at stop lights.
      This is also true. Exhaust noise = good. Two fans going nuts when it's 75 degrees out because all you have is on or off = terrible.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Not to hijack this thread, but is the Entropy fan controller any good ?? I also was interested in a fan controller. Thx

It's also easier to incorporate an a/c signal to the controller to kick up the fan speed.

I wouldn't mind a fan controller, but I flet that adding another not "off the shelf" part to my car just reduces my overall reliability. I can have a spare relay on-hand, swap it in seconds and go down the road. By-passing a fan controller is do-able, but a bit more cumbersome..
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Quote Originally Posted by DT69Cam View Post
      Not to hijack this thread, but is the Entropy fan controller any good ?? I also was interested in a fan controller. Thx
      I have used several of the Entropy dual speed controllers with good results. Not as great as pwm control but the low speed helps keep the noise down. Nice heavy gauge wire harness included.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Who sells pwm controllers??

I've used C6 fan controllers with success. Derale and Spal both have aftermarket offerings as well. I'm sure there's more...
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I've used C6 fan controllers with success. Derale and Spal both have aftermarket offerings as well. I'm sure there's more...
      Thank you. I was looking at the Derale one. Not all good reviews though. Hmmm.

What's needed for the C6 controller? I assume you feed it a specific duty cycle/frequency, do you know those requirements?
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page

Dcc, mine has been flawless for years

Delta current control
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      What's needed for the C6 controller? I assume you feed it a specific duty cycle/frequency, do you know those requirements?
      The controller likely generates the necessary frequency and duty cycle. Inputs would be coolant temperature and target temperature but it’s not obvious how that information is passed to the controller from the ECM. The controller is not stand alone, it works together with the ECM. My understanding is the Connect and Cruise ECM’s lack the necessary software interface to work with the fan controller. John Parsons and others have worked through this. There is a thread here somewhere.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      The controller likely generates the necessary frequency and duty cycle. Inputs would be coolant temperature and target temperature but it’s not obvious how that information is passed to the controller from the ECM. The controller is not stand alone, it works together with the ECM. My understanding is the Connect and Cruise ECM’s lack the necessary software interface to work with the fan controller. John Parsons and others have worked through this. There is a thread here somewhere.

Don

Don
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthre...&highlight=pwm

I added it to my GMPP LS3 controller harness. Don't know about the connect -n- cruise, if it is the same.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt View Post
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthre...&highlight=pwm

I added it to my GMPP LS3 controller harness. Don't know about the connect -n- cruise, if it is the same.
      If I understood it right the software to drive the PWM controller is not in the GMPP ECM.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post

Don

That's what I am looking for, the frequency and duty cycle, my Megasquirt can handle that based on my inputs, I am not looking for it to be a standalone

I have successfully ran a Ford FPDM (fuel pump module) off a simple Arduino circuit. That could be used to drive a fan, but I would need multiples as they only handle about 20-30amps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7-KgCiqUbQ

You can see here that I am controlling a simple light using the FPDM to dim it, just like you would control a fuel pump, fan, etc. I know the wires are a hot mess in the video, it was simply setup as a proof of concept. I ran a small 10" fan off of it using a rheostat to control the speed via pwm.

The trick to the FPDM is knowing the duty cycle [which is halved, 50% to the FPDM means demand = 100%] and a specific frequency. If I knew what the C6 fan module wanted, I can replicate that with OEM reliability....

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      Dcc, mine has been flawless for years

Delta current control
      Can I connect the Delta controller to my GMPP harness ?? I have 1 blue wire labeled "fans". Thank you.

Not sure what that would accomplish. The DCC controller is standalone. No need to connect it to your ECM.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

^^^what he said. Its a stand alone pwm controller.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      That's what I am looking for, the frequency and duty cycle, my Megasquirt can handle that based on my inputs, I am not looking for it to be a standalone
      Have you looked at the RaceGrade SSD's? SSD3 or P can be controlled by your MS ECU and have OEM reliability.
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com