Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

LS2 Temperature Sensor / 67 Camaro

I am currently running a standalone temp sensor I mounted in the passenger side head to an auto meter gauge in the dash.

I'd like to utilize the OEM sensor that is mounted in the driver side head from the factory that the computer uses.

Has anyone done this? Would I just tap into the harness and extend the signal wire to the auto meter gauge?

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 1967ls2 View Post
      I am currently running a standalone temp sensor I mounted in the passenger side head to an auto meter gauge in the dash.

I'd like to utilize the OEM sensor that is mounted in the driver side head from the factory that the computer uses.

Has anyone done this? Would I just tap into the harness and extend the signal wire to the auto meter gauge?
      Temperature sensors are thermistors and work through variable resistance, like a gas level gauge. The signal can't be split and each gauge is looking for a particular resistance vs. temperature curve. So you can't do what you want to do...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Bummer.

If that is the case, how does the 05 GTO or Corvette receive input to the stock gauges for coolant temperature? Do they take it from the radiator or another source?

Did a little searching and it looks like I could possibly run a 3 wire ect sensor.

If that is the case, how does the 05 GTO or Corvette receive input to the stock gauges for coolant temperature? Do they take it from the radiator or another source?
      Those gauges get the temperature data from the ECM. Dakota Digital VHX gauges can read the temperature etc data from the ECM and don’t require dedicated senders.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Did a little searching and it looks like I could possibly run a 3 wire ect sensor.
      How will that connect to the ecu and your gauge? Both are looking for changes in resistance, not a 0-5v signal.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      How will that connect to the ecu and your gauge? Both are looking for changes in resistance, not a 0-5v signal.

Andrew
      I found this post here https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...t-numbers.html

Looks like these guys were trying to do the same thing and accomplished it with a 3 wire sensor.

I assume with my standalone harness there is nowhere to take the signal from the ecu to the gauges which is why I started this thread to see if there was any other options.

Yeah after doing some more research, looks like the 3 wire sensor is from a 98 LS1 and hooking the third wire up to the gauge will work but it'll be about 10-20 degrees off. Bummer again.

Yeah after doing some more research, looks like the 3 wire sensor is from a 98 LS1 and hooking the third wire up to the gauge will work but it'll be about 10-20 degrees off. Bummer again.
      Measure the resistance at 0 and 100 degrees C. with an Ohm Meter, then repeat with your gauge. With a little bit of math and properly sized resistor you should be able to get it to line up.

I used a 3 wire sensor on my 86 Monte Carlo SS and the resistance lined up to temp perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by SSLOW6.0 View Post
      Measure the resistance at 0 and 100 degrees C. with an Ohm Meter, then repeat with your gauge. With a little bit of math and properly sized resistor you should be able to get it to line up.

I used a 3 wire sensor on my 86 Monte Carlo SS and the resistance lined up to temp perfectly.
      Yeah, I was thinking about wiring a resistor in line but wasn't sure. I had to do that for the tachometer to work properly given the pulses, etc. I just was hoping someone else may have done this first and confirmed they were able to get it working before I go through the headache of rewiring everything.

Keep in mind that the resistor you add doesn’t vary with temperature. The more you add the bigger the effect will be....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com